Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DrSchmidt
    Captain
    • Apr 2014

Worked a bit on the galley....details on the cuppoards, the sink, manholes, and feedthroughs for the ballast tank inlet valves.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Vesikko-010.jpg
Views:	267
Size:	78.2 KB
ID:	174597

Comment

• DrSchmidt
      Captain
      • Apr 2014

Found some time to work on the Type II CAD model. Here's a view from the torpedo room through the control room (with radio room on the right) and through the galley to the door of the machine room.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Vesikko-011.jpg Views:	0 Size:	63.9 KB ID:	175292

Attached Files
      Last edited by DrSchmidt; 10-26-2023, 08:29 AM.

Comment

• DrSchmidt
        Captain
        • Apr 2014

Worked some more on the control room of the Vesikko (Type II). Got the gyro compass, the machine telegraphs, the steering wheel for the rudder , the compass repeater and the periscope winch setup into place. I also put the periscope wells and the pressure bottles under the floor done....

Name:	Vesikko-013.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	72.5 KB
ID:	177194

Comment

• DrSchmidt
          Captain
          • Apr 2014

Found some time to work on the inner details of the control room of the Type II prototype Vesikko. The ventilation air manifold took some time. Folks back then really were artists in bending intricate peaces of tubing art...the box at the bottom are the alkaline cartridges for CO2 removal.

Name:	Vesikko-014.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	68.0 KB
ID:	178567

Name:	Vesikko-015.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	78.0 KB
ID:	178568 Click image for larger version

Name:	Vesikko-016.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	56.4 KB
ID:	178569

Comment

• DrSchmidt
            Captain
            • Apr 2014

More detail work on the control room.....starts to lokk like something:

Name:	Vesikko-017.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	74.9 KB
ID:	178734

Name:	Vesikko-018.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	74.7 KB
ID:	178735

Name:	Vesikko-019.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	81.4 KB
ID:	178736

Comment

• DrSchmidt
              Captain
              • Apr 2014

I worked allot on the control room, so much, that I needed to take a break from it. So I decided to give the Diesel engine a try...and here's why I love the internet. Designing the Diesel just from photos is very, very hard and will always be inaccurate. So I went on the hunt for drawings. And guess what, the International Maritime Museum in Hamburg has the Construction Manual in their archives, an archive that was digitized and is freely available though the German Digital Library

-> https://www.deutsche-digitale-biblio...st&hitNumber=1

Had problems downloading the whole file, contacted them and they sent my the 406 pages book as pdf, I love it!

So here we go..as the Diesel will be tiny in 1/72 scale, I have to make compromises with diameters and wall thicknesses here and there, but it starts to look like the original:

Name:	Vesikko-020.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	66.4 KB
ID:	178990

Comment

• DrSchmidt
                Captain
                • Apr 2014

More work on the drivetrain....

Diesel engine, elastic coupling, transmission, clutch and then the electric motor. The cilyndrical uright thing in thze back is the oil cooler for the transmission.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Vesikko-021.jpg Views:	0 Size:	73.5 KB ID:	179114

Comment

• DrSchmidt
                  Captain
                  • Apr 2014

I did allot of work on the diesel and then started to model the engine room, starting with the engin foundations. The engine bases were a welded steel structure that also served as main fuel oil tank. I also added the foundations for the two thrust bearings and right in next to them (bow side) the electric motor clutch and the rpm-meter. The blue structure in the port aft side houses the toilet.

Name:	Vesikko-022.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	71.5 KB
ID:	179666

Name:	Vesikko-023.jpg
Size:	72.1 KB
ID:	179667 Click image for larger version

Name:	Vesikko-024.jpg