How to save/grow/maintain/popularize our hobby!!!!

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • tifosi12
    Commander
    • Jul 2020

Originally posted by Subculture
    Swimming pools are IMO by far and away the best venues for operating model submarines, having clear water, good depth and a sheer drop from the side allowing that depth to be utilised when close to the edge, but also allowing a model to be easily recovered if the unthinkable happens.l.
    Totally agreed.

Comment

• tifosi12
      Commander
      • Jul 2020

Originally posted by Fishb0y

Flite Test has rejuvenated RC flying through their videos and simple foam board kits. Every year they have the largest RC flying event filled with kids building/flying/crashing into each other.

Definitely true. Add to that the flight stabilizing software that prevents stalls etc.

I do think RC subs could be a bigger thing if there were was a cheap and reliable ready to run submarine available. Oh wait, there was. The Nikko Seawolf....

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
        • Aug 2008

Originally posted by tifosi12

Definitely true. Add to that the flight stabilizing software that prevents stalls etc.

I do think RC subs could be a bigger thing if there were was a cheap and reliable ready to run submarine available. Oh wait, there was. The Nikko Seawolf....
        A very well engineered, reliable, and rugged TOY! With little reliance on the maneuvering, submerging, and looks of any real-world prototype. Toy. With all the learning and self-accomplishment elements of a throw-away, RTR foamy aircraft.

I too want high-end stuff, but I want it cheap, and I want it NOW. (still awaiting delivery).

David
        Toy Maker Extraordinaire
        Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Fishb0y
          Lieutenant
          • Jul 2023

Originally posted by He Who Shall Not Be Named

A very well engineered, reliable, and rugged TOY! With little reliance on the maneuvering, submerging, and looks of any real-world prototype. Toy. With all the learning and self-accomplishment elements of a throw-away, RTR foamy aircraft.

I too want high-end stuff, but I want it cheap, and I want it NOW. (still awaiting delivery).

David
          Toy Maker Extraordinaire
          Going back to your initial question though, how do we improve the participation to this aspect of the RC hobby? There's your gateway... a cheap, fun TOY that gets a kid excited about learning move.

Next there needs to be reasonably priced models that may be more "relevant" to younger hobbyists. I have spent $$$ on my son's RC Drifting hobby where he loves to use 90's Japanese sports cars as his car body. While his Ol'Man may be dreaming of building a 1/72 USS Halibut model, I couldn't say that my 16 year old kid would be excited about Cold War era submarines. Throwing a WTC into a 3D printed hull like this would bring a little more interest from him.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.png
Views:	163
Size:	59.6 KB
ID:	172792​​​
          Attached Files
          Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to go on an overnight drunk, and in 10 days I'm going to set out to find the shark that ate my friend and destroy it. Anyone who wants to tag along is more than welcome.

Comment

• neitosub
            Lieutenant Commander
            • Nov 2021

I think you’ve misinterpreted what I wrote.

I said this hobby-e.g. RC subs will end as we know it with the boomer generation.

How many people do you see actively engaged in this hobby under 50? How many under 60 for that matter. Wind back twenty years how many was it then?

Sure you’ll get some still practicing it, but it’ll look a lot different to how it is now. Will it be enough to run events, supply kits/wtc’s/electronics, publish magazines, contribute meaningful content on forums etc.

This is just my opinion, so you can disagree, it’s healthy to see some debate on this so long as it remains civil. You’re young enough to see how it’ll pan out.

Be interested in hearing about what you believe would draw in more interest.

I was referring to another post about RC in general dying with the older generation, but anyhow, I just don't see how that will happen will all the modern innovations happening in other areas of the hobby. I've been lurking around RC submarine forums like the SC, RCUniverse, RCGroups, etc since as early as 2003 and from what I've seen, activity on those boards have simply dried up past the 2010s or so. This was probably due to some hobbyists leaving the hobby, moving to social media, or for other reasons, but to me following those build threads back then was what really inspired me to continue in this hobby. Social media has replaced forums in many areas of the RC hobby and it certainly has its ups and downs like you said, but whether we like it or not, it is probably our best chance of getting more awareness to RC subs.

Another miracle would be a major hobby RC manufacturer somehow releasing a RTR submarine for a reasonable price point. I still dream of the day that some manufacturer will release a sleek looking 2.4ghz RTR/ARTR submarine that will appeal to the masses, dynamic diver or not.

And no, the Thunder Tiger Neptune doesn't count, that thing just looks like a giant yellow turd. But that's just me being biased ;)

Comment

• Subculture
              Admiral
              • Feb 2009

Engel already supply their 212 and Akula 2 in a ARTR stage. There are some nice kits from Norbert Bruggen which are part 3d print and part cnc machines. They look well designed and simple to construct- almost like Lego. They cost about 150 euro, which is about the same in dollars. Think you may be able to knock some tax off that for the states.

Also there are kits like Aquabat, and HFM Deep Dive VII. These are are older designs, and I would say there are better choices. Let’s not discount some of the fabulous designs available for free in thingiverse. No printer, get them made at a bureau like pcbways. Options are far more numerous and costs much lower than they were years ago.
              Last edited by Subculture; 08-07-2023, 11:41 PM.

Comment

• wlambing
                Commander
                • Nov 2020

But if it ran well, it was a fun giant yellow turd!!

Comment

• Subculture
                  Admiral
                  • Feb 2009

Any idea why this happens? Had this happen on a post before.

Name:	forum.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	56.2 KB
ID:	172800
                  Attached Files

Comment

• bwi 971
                    Captain
                    • Jan 2015

In Belgium we are very limited with proper playgrounds for air, road and water RC stuff. Most of them get banned or are not public accecable. Be a member or get out, not even open days.

The hobby of RC subs is carried by one person who is doing all the heavy lifting, and tries to get the yought involved with his fish subs, he uses an small inflatable pool that brings to schools.

Jalousy and envy are never far away, bad blood for years, seems familiar?

Maybe a good startpoint is to get united, we are not a big group me think.
                    50 forums is rediculous IMO, info is spread all over.

3D printing is the way to go, for sure. I'm not into electronics but I assume a sub can be controlled by using arduino, make it open source like Prusa with there printers and slicers....busness wize they still make money.

That will make the hobby less expencive and more atracktive and accessible.

Grtz,
                    Bart​
                    Practical wisdom is only to be learned in the school of experience.
                    "Samuel Smiles"

Comment

• QuarterMaster
                      Rear Admiral
                      • Sep 2015

Any idea why this happens? Had this happen on a post before.

Name:	forum.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	56.2 KB
ID:	172800
                      Sometimes occurs when editing. Fixed.
                      v/r "Sub" Ed

Silent Service "Cold War" Veteran (The good years!)
                      NEVER underestimate the power of a Sailor who served aboard a submarine.
                      USS ULYSSES S GRANT-USS SHARK-USS NAUTILUS-USS KEY WEST-USS BLUEBACK-USS PATRICK HENRY-K432-U25-SSRN SEAVIEW-PROTEUS-NAUTILUS

Comment

• Subculture
                        Admiral
                        • Feb 2009

Sorry to be a be a pain but upon trying to fix a couple of typos it's happened again. It initially happened before making any edits.

Comment

• Subculture
                          Admiral
                          • Feb 2009

Originally posted by bwi 971
                          In Belgium we are very limited with proper playgrounds for air, road and water RC stuff. Most of them get banned or are not public accessible. Be a member or get out, not even open days.

It's getting like that here in the UK. Certainly the drone laws/rules brought in to cover the lower airspace have had a big impact on model flying.

The hobby of RC subs is carried by one person who is doing all the heavy lifting, and tries to get the youth involved with his fish subs, he uses an small inflatable pool that brings to schools.
                          Sounds like Raf. He came along to one of the Dive-ins I organised some years ago. Nice chap, and interesting models.

Jealousy and envy are never far away, bad blood for years, seems familiar?
                          100%. The green-eyed monster is international. Do anything and succeed, the chances are you'll pick-up some enemies along the way.

Maybe a good startpoint is to get united, we are not a big group me think.
                          50 forums is ridiculous IMO, info is spread all over.
                          Quite agree, modern communication has made it very easy to create your own little bubble.

However my past experience has demonstrated that even when you try and get different groups working together, some people will disapprove, and it only takes one or two to really stir things up.

Refer to your earlier comment about jealousy etc.

3D printing is the way to go, for sure. I'm not into electronics but I assume a sub can be controlled by using arduino, make it open source like Prusa with their printers and slicers.... business wise they still make money. That will make the hobby less expensive and more attractive and accessible.​
                          Electronics are so cheap these days compared to what they used to cost when I was a kid. You can get a multichannel computerised set these days for the cost of a basic two-channel set years ago, without adjusting for inflation. The missing element is not cash or accessibility, it's skills. Aside from a few exceptions, most children are not being taught basic hand skills, at home or at school.

Clubs aren't equipped to be schools, and most members don't want to play teacher anyway, then you're back to the few, or maybe one, like Raf?

Comment

• tifosi12
                            Commander
                            • Jul 2020

Originally posted by He Who Shall Not Be Named

I was at Carmel's event last year and brought a couple of my built subs plus what you call a toy. Needless to say it run the best and was most reliable, but you said that yourself. One of the organizers loved it and I quickly replied "Well, this one is only a toy." To what she replied: "What are you talking about, they are all toys!."

At the end of the day she is right, all R/C subs are toys. So you constantly dissing the Nikko Seawolf for being a toy seems misplaced. In the OP you asked how to make this hobby more popular. Well, maybe a well engineered, reliable and relatively cheap toy could just be the answer. As are the RTR foamy aircrafts. Like it or not, you gotta start somewhere and attract the younger (or older) folks. You can't expect people to get excited over spending a thousand bucks on something that sinks the first time you take it to the pool.

Comment

• Subculture
                              Admiral
                              • Feb 2009

A toy is plaything built by a third party for the amusement of another, often a child but not exclusively so. The owner often lacks the skills or patience to make it themselves.

A model is something constructed by a skilled person. It may be completely constructed from scratch or assembled from a kit of parts, but it will require a level of understanding beyond a simple toy.

if someone purchases a model ready built, then I suppose really that is a toy. An complex, costly and delicate one, but it’s not demonstrative of the owners skill in construction, that belongs to the builder.

Comment

• Subculture
                                Admiral
                                • Feb 2009

In my earlier post I listed some kits. The skills required for a couple of those are not much beyond that required for a basic air fix model. If that’s asking too much then frankly I give in.

Sadly it looks like the Aquabat is out of production again. I think Ron tended to have them vac-formed in batches, so perhaps there’s not enough demand for another run. Shame it’s a fun little boat.

Comment

Working...