X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BillP
    Ensign
    • Jul 2023

Building 1st RC Sub - 1/72 Skipjack

Hi! Just joined. Building my 1st RC sub 1/72 Möebius Skipjack. Having fun, making progress and so far no major mistakes (that I know of!) I have done some research but am still uncertain about 2.4ghz vs. 75mhz. I understand the water penetration issues but which way is the hobby going - 2.4ghz with projecting mast or floating antenna or should I look for used 75mhz systems? Would appreciate any advice and information. Regards, BillP
  • rwtdiver
    Vice Admiral
    • Feb 2019

Hi Bill,

And welcome to the forum!

Click image for larger version

Name:	PC120002.jpg
Views:	312
Size:	67.4 KB
ID:	172003

My first boat was the Skipjack. I went very simple on this build and went with a surface runner only WTC. The boat is bare bones build, and I did not spend anytime on the scale appearance at all.
    I have a Vex 75mhz radio system onboard, and I used one of my old RC aircraft internal design antenna set ups.

Looking forward to watching your build, and hope you will post up some photos as you move along!

Rob
    "Firemen can stand the heat."

Comment

• redboat219
      Admiral
      • Dec 2008

Welcome to the group.
      Are you using David's or R & R Models fittings kits for your conversion or totally DIY?
      Make it simple, make strong, make it work!

Comment

• RCSubGuy
        Welcome to my underwater realm!
        • Aug 2009

I'd go low frequency for a boat that small. I have a handful of nice 72mhz radios available that I'll be listing up today. 2.4ghz is really well suited for larger boats operating in dark, open water.

Very promising results from recent 900mhz tests. Once proven out, I'll have a full line of those radios with dedicated programming for subs.

Comment

• BillP
          Ensign
          • Jul 2023

Appreciate the comments. I'll check out the 72mhz units.

Comment

• BillP
            Ensign
            • Jul 2023

I've finished my 1st RC sub - the 1/72 Möebius​ Skipjack and decaled it as the Snook 592. I served on the Snook in the early 70's. This was a DIY build based on information I gathered on ballast systems, watertight containers, etc. In the pool this summer it swam around well but the static ballast and flotation foam weren't balanced out. Also, battled some leaks as I learned about my control rod and shaft seal designs. Spent the fall fixing, painting, improving linkages and the ballast vent and blow systems. Doing bathtub sea trials now and the ballast and balance look about right. For the first open water trials I plan to keep it a tad positively buoyant. I am new to this forum so am learning about posting pictures, etc. Would welcome any suggestions on the build and my use of the forum.

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
              • Aug 2008

Originally posted by BillP
              I've finished my 1st RC sub - the 1/72 Möebius​ Skipjack and decaled it as the Snook 592. I served on the Snook in the early 70's. This was a DIY build based on information I gathered on ballast systems, watertight containers, etc. In the pool this summer it swam around well but the static ballast and flotation foam weren't balanced out. Also, battled some leaks as I learned about my control rod and shaft seal designs. Spent the fall fixing, painting, improving linkages and the ballast vent and blow systems. Doing bathtub sea trials now and the ballast and balance look about right. For the first open water trials I plan to keep it a tad positively buoyant. I am new to this forum so am learning about posting pictures, etc. Would welcome any suggestions on the build and my use of the forum.
              Detailed pictures and narrative of your WTC with an emphasis on the problem area would help us guide you along to a better path.

Use a picture hosting site. I recommend ImageShack.

​​​​​​
              David
              Who is John Galt?

Comment

• trout
                Admiral
                • Jul 2011

I personally do not like hosting services. My reason is from seeing too many sites that images were no longer available because a person shut down their storage or deleted images and now the posting is 1/3 as useful.
                If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• RCSubGuy
                  Welcome to my underwater realm!
                  • Aug 2009

No need to host anywhere else. Our forums allow high resolution images and are regularly backed up…

Comment

Working...