• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • george
    Captain
    • Dec 2010

WTC Bulk head, End Cap material Best Used

Hello
    I am Slowly putting together my parts/materials so that I can make my own WTC for my use.
    My question of this group, what is the Best material to use to make the End caps, bulk heads from?
    I have heard that: Alumilite,- shrinks over time, 3D printed needs extra lathe work to smooth the O ring seal to better seal, No lathe available, Auto body filler- water issue?, Epoxy poured ?

Would do the experts say?
    Thanks in advance.

George
  • Rick Teskey
    Lieutenant Commander
    • Jan 2009

Save time wasted effort and money buy a pair or whole cylinder

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
      • Aug 2008

Originally posted by george
      Hello
      I am Slowly putting together my parts/materials so that I can make my own WTC for my use.
      My question of this group, what is the Best material to use to make the End caps, bulk heads from?
      I have heard that: Alumilite,- shrinks over time, 3D printed needs extra lathe work to smooth the O ring seal to better seal, No lathe available, Auto body filler- water issue?, Epoxy poured ?

Would do the experts say?
      Thanks in advance.

George
      Screed your own.

Who is John Galt?

Comment

• redboat219
        Admiral
        • Dec 2008

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20230408_130711_Chrome.jpg
Views:	356
Size:	54.4 KB
ID:	170543
        Make it simple, make strong, make it work!

Comment

• redboat219
          Admiral
          • Dec 2008

Hi, more then likely asked hundreds of times before. But what is the best material that does not cost the earth to use for WTC end caps. I tried 3D printing them, but not happy with results. So what to use. The WTC is 110mm across so it’s a big lump. I am also in the land of expense, ie the uk. I do have a lathe so can

Comment

• RevellU505Late
            Lieutenant, Junior Grade
            • Feb 2023

If you are on Facebook, I suggest you join this group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/ballast.systems
            Lots of good DIY WTC info. All my build info is there, including materials/tool lists with purchase links.
            BTW I used HDPE stock from Amazon. Machines easily and is soft enough to take fittings without sealant. I use number drills to get the tight fit.

Comment

• george
              Captain
              • Dec 2010

Already a member there. Thanks for the link.

Is there another name for HDPE ?

Canada eh might go under other name.
              Thanks
              George

Comment

• redboat219
                Admiral
                • Dec 2008

You could also try looking for Polyoxymethylene ( POM) or Delrin stock.

Comment

• trout
                  Admiral
                  • Jul 2011

There are many plastics that will work, certainly different price points. PVC was used in the Walrus end caps.
                  McMaster-Carr is the complete source for your plant with over 595,000 products. 98% of products ordered ship from stock and deliver same or next day.

Currently I am using resin 3D printed ones. I guess I would offer, do not get hooked on what to use, but more importantly just make it.

One of the pictures is from Ralph's set up for making his end caps. He is, without a doubt, resourceful and limited on his expenditures. Yet he makes some wonderful WTCs.
                  If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• wlambing
                    Commander
                    • Nov 2020

Another, time tested, method would be to use built up layers of Lexan or other polycarbonate material. There are many drawings/designs floating in the ether on how to do this. Some skills with a sabresaw, drill and sander are required, though! One of the drawings in mind was done by Greg Sharpe, I believe, many years ago. Looked to be a quite robust unit when complete per the plan.

Comment

• redboat219
                      Admiral
                      • Dec 2008

Originally posted by wlambing
                      Another, time tested, method would be to use built up layers of Lexan or other polycarbonate material. There are many drawings/designs floating in the ether on how to do this. Some skills with a sabresaw, drill and sander are required, though! One of the drawings in mind was done by Greg Sharpe, I believe, many years ago. Looked to be a quite robust unit when complete per the plan.
                      ​​https

example of layered lexan sheet bulkhead

charlie https://youtu.be/XWnMu2ikqQk https://youtu.be/7ZHnO3sqjPw https://youtu.be/VaUBZZ36RRc These photos and videos were taken yesterday at our pond in Barrow
                      Last edited by redboat219; 06-17-2023, 08:18 PM.

Comment

• Subculture
                        Admiral
                        • Feb 2009

You can use pretty much any sheet material to make endcaps. You only need basic handtools, but you need to be able to use them with reasonable proficiency, and like any worthwhile skill it takes a bit of time and application.

Plastic is easy to work, but can be tougher to hold a tight tolerance, more rigid plastics like acrylic (PMMA) or composites like G10 sheet are easier in that regard. I've seen endcaps made from other materials e.g. aluminium and even wood- well coated in resin to seal it. Plastics like HDPE, PP, PE etc. are best avoided unless machining them from a solid blank, as they don't take well to glues and are thus tricky to bond unless treated with a special additive. Also they tend to be rather soft and waxy in texture, which can make them tricky to finish off nicely.

Endcaps that compress the seal axially can get away with far sloppier tolerances than radial seal compression.

Some disadvantages are that you need some drawbars to pull up the endcap to the cylinder and compress the seal, and also the end of the cylinder wall needs to be thick enough for the seal to butt up against.

If you really don't trust your bench fitting skills an alternative to making them by hand is drawing out an endcap in cad and having them printed at a bureau or having some discs lasercut or cnc routed to size and then just bond them together to form a single part.

So many possibilities that were not available to modellers years ago, and they're relatively inexpensive processes capable of quality results.
                        Last edited by Subculture; 06-18-2023, 05:08 AM.

Comment

• DrSchmidt
                          Captain
                          • Apr 2014

Ist that the DeBoer Nautilus in the Background? Huge....

Comment

Working...