X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • redboat219
    Admiral
    • Dec 2008

Wireless ROV

Amazing tech. Apparently can work off reflections and back scatter so it's not restricted to line of sight.
    Make it simple, make strong, make it work!
  • SubDude
    Captain
    • Dec 2019

That is sweet! I wonder what happens if more than one ROV is in the water? I bet poor water clarity reduces its range.

Comment

• redboat219
      Admiral
      • Dec 2008

Originally posted by SubDude
      I wonder what happens if more than one ROV is in the water?
      the same with your TV and stereo at home, signals from different transmitter are modulated differently to match a particular receiver.

Make it simple, make strong, make it work!

Comment

• Bob Gato
        Captain
        • Feb 2019

Originally posted by SubDude
        That is sweet! I wonder what happens if more than one ROV is in the water? I bet poor water clarity reduces its range.
        Well it's probably the same thing happens as when you have a remote control for your TV and a remote control for your cable box.. but yes I'm sure water clarity has a lot to do with it working correctly. And I remember a well noted model submarine manufacturer looking into a light based control for model subs .
        Last edited by Bob Gato; 02-09-2023, 06:43 PM.

Comment

• RCSubGuy
          Welcome to my underwater realm!
          • Aug 2009

Hmmm... up to 50m range... in a perfectly clear swimming pool? Won't work worth spit in a real body of water.

Comment

• CC Clarke
            Lieutenant Commander
            • Aug 2020

This looks like an expensive pool toy. Working ROV's use umbilicals and lots of power.

During pre-deployment checks on a job once, the ROV operator used one of the $500k Titan manips to swing a Thor-sized sledgehammer around like it was a feather. They could tie knots in #10 thread all day long in a 5 kt current.

The Navy has worked on secure, laser-driven, short-range comms for years. Still waiting. . .

Comment

Working...