Name:	CORSAIR.jpg
Views:	231
Size:	49.9 KB
ID:	170166Click image for larger version

Name:	CORSAIR 2.jpg
Views:	225
Size:	63.9 KB
ID:	170167

There was a day in another hobby that I could not only hold my own on scale performance, but my flying ability!

Rob
    "Firemen can stand the heat."

Comment

• DrSchmidt
      Captain
      • Apr 2014

Originally posted by rwtdiver

Andreas,

Not to be respectful of you, Daivid Merriman lll, Bob Martin, and others that I put into the category of perfectionitis, and I do hold you all in very high regard! But I do not fit into that group, nor do I want to. All my boats are 3D printed (total 24) except for 2 which are kits that I purchased from Bob Martin (Nautilus Drydocks) All my boats have WTC's, some work & some don't! I got into this hobby not for the realism, but for the joy of building and experimentation.

I just want to build the British X-Craft and for the joy of building it and maybe pass on some other ideas and methods of building it. If it looks reasonably close to scale, then I will be happy!

My last comment on this subject is, I do have health issues which dictate what I can do and can't do, and I just want to leave it at that!

Andreas, Thank you for chiming in and offering your respected advice as always!

Rob
      Yo do it like you want it. I have no issues with that and my comment was not meant disrespectful. I just wanted to point out that the designer of the files was not "over technical" in his approach but went for the original look. And back in the days, rotary feedthroughs were easier to seal and safer than linear ones. That's why the X-Craft and many other boats had theses lever/push rod designs .

Comment

• vital.spark
        Commander
        • May 2010

As they say down under: GOOD ON YOU MATE! Rob, I'm with you 100%

Comment

• rwtdiver
          Vice Admiral
          • Feb 2019

Originally posted by vital.spark
          As they say down under: GOOD ON YOU MATE! Rob, I'm with you 100%
          Thanks, vital.spark!

I really ask for what I get. I have put every 3D printed sub that I have built on this forum as a build from start to finish! I am a sitting duck with a lot of my building methods, but at least I put it out their right way or wrong way for everyone to see! This hobby is a learning process and I learn something new each day. I will keep dogging my way through and have some fun in the process! (I can take the heat)

Rob
          Last edited by rwtdiver; 02-13-2024, 07:43 PM.

Comment

• rwtdiver
            Vice Admiral
            • Feb 2019

It has been a while since I started the build on the British X-Craft and I have decided to see it through.

Click image for larger version  Name:	BRITISH X-CRAFT 7.jpg Views:	0 Size:	68.7 KB ID:	178233

I still have a few more parts to print out and then I am ready for construction. Another Item I have decided to do is to power this submarine with a 300 series EasyDriver cylinder which I will be purchasing from Nautilus DryDocks.

Click image for larger version  Name:	250 EASYDRIVER 1.jpg Views:	75 Size:	51.2 KB ID:	178237

This will be a perfect match up for this submarine. I guess I might as well spill some more beans for this build.

Click image for larger version  Name:	frsky_tandem_x18s_transmitter_-main_-3582516161.png Views:	0 Size:	29.2 KB ID:	178236
            I will also be using the new 900 Mhz FrSky Transmitter and the R9SX 6 channel receiver, which I also Purchased from Bob at Nautilus DryDocks.

I am going to start out real slow with this new system and learn it as I grow with it. I want to Thank "SUB ED" and Bob Martin for walking me through with this new technology. I am really looking forward to the learning process and hopefully using it on some more advanced sub builds. Tiny steps as they say...

Rob
            Attached Files
            Last edited by rwtdiver; 02-17-2024, 08:52 PM.

Comment

• Albacore 569
              Commander
              • Sep 2020

I think this is marvelous project. I know it has been established this is a pool dynamic diver. Will it have to go faster than scale speed to be able to push the bow under and hold? I was looking at the WTC and wondering as a quick after build mod. there seems like, well, would there be room for a small donut shaped slide in ballast tank? 3D print one? make it in one piece, thin walled hollow.

Add a line and a small pump to outside. you would simply insert it into the wtc tube and have the electricals pass through the center. The 'donut Ballast tank' would not need much internal volume. Just enough to make decks fully awash to allow to submerge the boat at very slow scale speeds. Try it first as a pure dynamic diver and see, but it might be an idea if you feel different later. Make the Openings for the brass stingers through tank a loose fit so it can slide easily a small distance fore & aft for trimming. Just one of my little crazy ideas. Should be simple to make with 3 d printer as one piece? Call it a low pressure Negative trim tank.

Click image for larger version  Name:	DA7L4wg.jpg Views:	0 Size:	60.8 KB ID:	178246
              Last edited by Albacore 569; 02-14-2024, 08:57 AM.

Comment

• redboat219
                Admiral
                • Dec 2008

How about using a RCAB system? Plenty of space in the side charges for bladders.
                Make it simple, make strong, make it work!

Comment

• rwtdiver
                  Vice Admiral
                  • Feb 2019

Steve,

Thank you very much for taking the time show me what might be a very viable idea for a ballast system. I will most likely try the dynamic diving at first and see how that works and if not satisfactory look into a design like you have designed.

Thanks again steve, appreciate your input.

Rob

Comment

• rwtdiver
                    Vice Admiral
                    • Feb 2019

Special Note: Things have changed again!

I will be finishing this boat in the near to semi future. But for now I will be shifting gears to a new build. German Type 212 A submarine. I will be setting up a new build blog as well.

Thank you all for your interest and especially your help in this build thus far. More to come later.

Rob
                    Firemen can stand the heat."

Special Note: I want to thank DrSchmidt for setting me straight on building these boats to scale design. He was correct!
                    Thank you DrSchmidt, you are a master builder.

Rob
                    Last edited by rwtdiver; 02-16-2024, 01:52 PM.

Comment

• RCSubGuy
                      Welcome to my underwater realm!
                      • Aug 2009

Just a note regarding dynamic divers. Properly ballasted, they can be just as enjoyable as a static boat. The closer to ballast to neutral, the easier they'll be to operate. If you get it just barely positively buoyant, it takes very little speed or plane inputs to dive. All of my 212 models were dynamic divers, and they were insanely fun to operate and very easy to dive and hold depth with.

Comment

• rwtdiver
                        Vice Admiral
                        • Feb 2019

The original STL files for this boat at a 100% design build will be to small for the 300 EasyDriver that I have coming from Nautilus Drydocks. Therefore I have increased the files to about 115% for the new X-Craft build. I am waiting for the300 series EasyDriver to arrive before I make the decision as to the boat size.

Rob

Comment

Working...