Name:	IMG_8158.jpg
Views:	308
Size:	110.7 KB
ID:	168349Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8160.jpg
Views:	257
Size:	94.5 KB
ID:	168350

This tape measure device is like a Swiss Army knife. It has extremely accurate measuring, laser line, memory, and other features I forgot already. The retail will be ~$250 and available in April.

3D printing had some BIG printers and automated for manufacturing.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8178.jpg
Views:	253
Size:	105.6 KB
ID:	168351Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8180.jpg
Views:	252
Size:	82.0 KB
ID:	168352Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8181.jpg
Views:	246
Size:	80.8 KB
ID:	168353

And Formlabs has made a production resin printer. It prints removes print and drops it in a bin, then starts all over again.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8182.jpg
Views:	255
Size:	132.8 KB
ID:	168354

If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.
  • trout
    Admiral
    • Jul 2011

Another find was a coating for electronics to waterproof.....I asked can this be purchased for hobbyist like me. He said yes, the only part that may be tricky is the heat curing......Tina is not using the little toaster oven.

https://nanoflowx.com it is a Texas company.

If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• QuarterMaster
      Rear Admiral
      • Sep 2015

Originally posted by trout
      Another find was a coating for electronics to waterproof.....I asked can this be purchased for hobbyist like me. He said yes, the only part that may be tricky is the heat curing......Tina is not using the little toaster oven.

https://nanoflowx.com it is a Texas company.

You're in my Control Rom now Tom....

Understanding IPC Conformal Coating Standards

Spray Cans of Acrylic or the Urethane are readily available. When using it, be sure to mask any electrical connector to maintain good contact. IOW, don't coat your electrical contacts or you'll "brick" your unit lol!
      Last edited by QuarterMaster; 01-11-2023, 09:17 AM.
      v/r "Sub" Ed

Silent Service "Cold War" Veteran (The good years!)
      NEVER underestimate the power of a Sailor who served aboard a submarine.
      USS ULYSSES S GRANT-USS SHARK-USS NAUTILUS-USS KEY WEST-USS BLUEBACK-USS PATRICK HENRY-K432-U25-SSRN SEAVIEW-PROTEUS-NAUTILUS

Comment

• wlambing
        Commander
        • Nov 2020

What ever happened to "Stuff"? It was quite popular back in the day. Got quite a bit of coverage in the SC forums.

Comment

• CC Clarke
          Lieutenant Commander
          • Aug 2020

Originally posted by QuarterMaster

You're in my Control Rom now Tom....

Understanding IPC Conformal Coating Standards

Spray Cans of Acrylic or the Urethane are readily available. When using it, be sure to mask any electrical connector to maintain good contact. IOW, don't coat your electrical contacts or you'll "brick" your unit lol!
          Are you an IPC Instructor? I've been certified for years in IPC multiple certs. Was a 2M (microminiature repair) tech for years before IPC came along to standardize the multiple workmanship standards I had been certified to (NASA / DoD) previously. 2M specs are 10X more stringent than IPC's and gave me a huge advantage when teaching set-up techniques. Spent loads of time removing / applying conformal coatings to PCBs.

Comment

• QuarterMaster
            Rear Admiral
            • Sep 2015

No, just a CID+ (from '05) hack. Former IPC Designer Council president. Old friends with Gary Ferrari. Trying to get something established with him down here in Dallas for the Lockheed Martin MFC group. That's me, pushing Cu .001" at a time for the past 30 or so.
            v/r "Sub" Ed

USS ULYSSES S GRANT-USS SHARK-USS NAUTILUS-USS KEY WEST-USS BLUEBACK-USS PATRICK HENRY-K432-U25-SSRN SEAVIEW-PROTEUS-NAUTILUS

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
              • Aug 2008

Originally posted by wlambing
              What ever happened to "Stuff"? It was quite popular back in the day. Got quite a bit of coverage in the SC forums.
              'Stumph' I believe was the spelling.

In hindsight, using it was a fool's errand: It deferred, did not, over time, prevent water induced galvanic action, and mineral deposits across conducting elements.

I can dunk a lot of electrical/electronic items in fresh water, and it will work for a while... FOR A WHILE!!!! I can dunk a Stumph gooped PCB in fresh water and it will survive a bit longer over time.

One more thing: you get a PCB wet, then dry it out (never completely), then coat it with Stumph, you effectively trap water in the many crevasses of the items soldered to the board...

... THE WATER CAN'T GET OUT!

https://youtu.be/B3lsJmwNO40 (:38 - :50) Look on entrapped water like it was this guy.

We've become too glib about the need of keeping our current carrying gadgets dry!

David
              Dumb-Ass former Torpedoman
              Who is John Galt?

Comment

• QuarterMaster
                Rear Admiral
                • Sep 2015

Originally posted by wlambing
                COB, the "Stuff" has to be reapplied on occasion. It's just a fancy WD-40.

With our use, CC will probably stick for the life of the unit.

Nothing here is a silver bullet. Use what works.

It's be nice if we could talk Kevin into CC all his units, but it's probably too labor intensive to be worthwhile.

All of this WOULD most likely save electronics from the common and dreaded WTC leak.
                v/r "Sub" Ed

Comment

• wlambing
                  Commander
                  • Nov 2020

Ah! Thanks for the clarification/explanation! From my pre-retirement tour at NSSF, NLON, I learned how to use alcohol to save PCBs and wiring from the evil seawater demon! After a soaking, a nice bath in isopropyl chases the bad fluid out, then blow it dry, and let it sit for a while. We saved a lot of high-dollar electronics on the 1:1 scale equipment that way. Anyway, thanks again!

Comment

• CC Clarke
                    Lieutenant Commander
                    • Aug 2020

One great tool to stash in your toolbox is a polypus. (That's a look-up.)

As for conformal coatings, you can easily apply them yourself with a spray can. Just mask off any exposed electrical connections prior to application. Polyeurathane conformal coating is easy to replay (and remove if necessary.)

One source: Conformal Coating | Techspray

CC

Comment

Working...