X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rwtdiver
    Vice Admiral
    • Feb 2019

I am going to say something here!

What Romel said might be a little useless theory, and he might not be much of a submarine builder! But Romel has CONTRIBUTED a massive amount of very HELPFULL information on this forum and I for one have used his information extensively! It's my opinion we need to cut the guy a little slack!!! This is a forum for learning, as well as building submarines!

Rob
    Last edited by rwtdiver; 12-04-2022, 02:43 AM.

Comment

• RCSubGuy
      Welcome to my underwater realm!
      • Aug 2009

It's not useless theory at all, but rather a phenomenon that should be identified, understood and mitigated, but only if needed and only in the most efficient and simplest of manners.

A proportional ballast system like a piston is a great way to go if you operate in constantly changing water environments with different mineral content and temperature. Our carefully ballasted boats work perfectly on that day and in that water, but a change in water density can upset the trim to the point that minor re-trimming may be required prior to full operations.

Sound suggestion, but I wouldn't build a whole boat around a piston system only to mitigate different water variations. They have other advantages (and disadvantages), so may be the right choice for some people, just not all.

Bob

Comment

• Subculture
        Admiral
        • Feb 2009

I expect it's due to a warm water temperature. Gas bubbles dissolve easier in colder water.

Sailed in a number of water types here in the UK, but never encountered such bubbles, but it rarely gets very warm or will stay that way for long enough to warm up large bodies of water.

In addition Georgia is a highly elevated county in that part, so atmospheric pressure will be a bit lower, and that will add a little into the mix.
        Last edited by Subculture; 12-04-2022, 03:55 PM.

Comment

Working...