basic question (hopefully not too dumb =P )

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • GwenB
    Lieutenant
    • Oct 2022

basic question (hopefully not too dumb =P )

I want to add 4 led navigation lights on my type VII. Obviously the point where the wire exits the WTC needs to be sealed around the wire, but does the wire for a low-power circuit like that need to be completely waterproofed? I would think it would... Obviously this applies to the led's as well. And if it does need to be waterproof what is the commonly accepted method for handling a circuit like this? I am thinking probably silicone sealant myself, but I would like to hear from someone who knows a little more than I do on the subject.

Thanks guys,

Gwen
    Last edited by GwenB; 11-06-2022, 09:01 PM.
  • He Who Shall Not Be Named
    • Aug 2008

OK to put all the wiring, resisters, connectors, plugs, and bulbs in the wet. Not OK to run the wire directly into the WTC -- water will find its way between conductor and insulation. Use threaded conductive studs to isolate water from the WTC's interior.

Who is John Galt?

Comment

• GwenB
      Lieutenant
      • Oct 2022

Thanks, that is most helpful.

Gwen

Comment

• GwenB
        Lieutenant
        • Oct 2022

Originally posted by He Who Shall Not Be Named
        OK to put all the wiring, resisters, connectors, plugs, and bulbs in the wet. Not OK to run the wire directly into the WTC -- water will find its way between conductor and insulation. Use threaded conductive studs to isolate water from the WTC's interior.
        ​
        Thanks to your assistance here is what I did with my WTC:

Click image for larger version  Name:	20221106_184413.jpg Views:	0 Size:	59.2 KB ID:	166550
        Click image for larger version  Name:	20221106_184420.jpg Views:	0 Size:	57.1 KB ID:	166551
        I tapped the holes for the studs through the bulkhead and screwed them through, then added washers and nuts.
        Thanks again!

Gwen
        Last edited by GwenB; 11-07-2022, 12:39 AM.

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
          • Aug 2008

Perfect........................
          Who is John Galt?

Comment

• JHapprich
            Captain
            • Oct 2017

Is that stainless steel? Better use brass for proper conductivity. Do not use galvanized steel, it will rust.

Comment

• GwenB
              Lieutenant
              • Oct 2022

Originally posted by JHapprich
              Is that stainless steel? Better use brass for proper conductivity. Do not use galvanized steel, it will rust.
              You're right. I will replace all those parts with brass after the next trip to the hardware store. =)

Comment

• cheapsub
                Lieutenant Commander
                • Dec 2019

What about using a coin cell.
                if the battery is inside the wtc.

Comment

• RCSubGuy
                  Welcome to my underwater realm!
                  • Aug 2009

The thing about LED lights is that they're a perfect indicator of sub power status. If they're on, you have it on. If they're off, the sub is off. People who rig them to switches really don't need to go to the trouble, at least in my opinion. No harm in having the lights on during the day, and if the sub is lost, the lights draw so little power that they'll probably still be on for hours after the sub is stranded on the bottom. Might make finding it at night an option...

Comment

Working...