Differential thrust with a 75 MHz radio?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • tifosi12
    Commander
    • Jul 2020

Differential thrust with a 75 MHz radio?

I'm trying to set up differential thrust for propulsion and steering. I know any 6 channel 2.4 GHz transmitter allows you to mix the throttle and rudder channels. But my question is whether that also works with an "old" radio like e.g. the Futaba FP-T8UAFs? It allows aileron mix etc but would that work for throttle/rudder mix?

And yes I realize the Futaba FP-T8UAFs is a 72 MHz radio and thus a no-no for subs. It's just as an example.

Why am I not going with a 2.4 GHz radio instead? The antenna cable extension procedure scares the crap out of me. With my soldering "skills" that circuit would be dead within 2 microseconds.
  • tifosi12
    Commander
    • Jul 2020

PS: Every time I google differential thrust with a RC transmitter I only get examples of 2.4 GHz radios. Hence my skepticism. I don't see why an advanced 75 MHz radio couldn't do it as well. If all fails, I'm actually thinking about programming an Arduino to put it in between the receiver and the ESCs. While not trivial, still better than soldering an antenna.... :(

Comment

• Sinksalot
      Commander
      • Mar 2020

Bob sells the Throttle Jockey that does what you want it to do.

Comment

• cheapsub
        Lieutenant Commander
        • Dec 2019

Frankenstein transmitter (th9x) is under er9x, with a 12 channel RX , you could do all the mix you want.

Or get a old radio mod the left side stick to 2 speed control stick. Just like the old ace sub commander.

there's a YouTube about a 3d printing mod.

Comment

• tifosi12
          Commander
          • Jul 2020

Originally posted by Sinksalot
          Bob sells the Throttle Jockey that does what you want it to do.

Thanks much, I'll give that a try.

Comment

• tifosi12
            Commander
            • Jul 2020

Originally posted by cheapsub
            Frankenstein transmitter (th9x) is under er9x, with a 12 channel RX , you could do all the mix you want.

Or get a old radio mod the left side stick to 2 speed control stick. Just like the old ace sub commander.

there's a YouTube about a 3d printing mod.
            Not following you on the Frankenstein transmitter. What's that referring to?

Comment

• SubSteve
              Lieutenant
              • Apr 2022

Originally posted by tifosi12
              I'm trying to set up differential thrust for propulsion and steering. I know any 6 channel 2.4 GHz transmitter allows you to mix the throttle and rudder channels. But my question is whether that also works with an "old" radio like e.g. the Futaba FP-T8UAFs? It allows aileron mix etc but would that work for throttle/rudder mix?

And yes I realize the Futaba FP-T8UAFs is a 72 MHz radio and thus a no-no for subs. It's just as an example.

Why am I not going with a 2.4 GHz radio instead? The antenna cable extension procedure scares the crap out of me. With my soldering "skills" that circuit would be dead within 2 microseconds.
              Are you trying to control your port and starboard motors independently from the transmitter sticks or just mix rudder and throttles on the model to decrease turning radius? By the way, you will need two separate speed controls in the model for either choice.

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
                • Aug 2008

Originally posted by SubSteve

Are you trying to control your port and starboard motors independently from the transmitter sticks or just mix rudder and throttles on the model to decrease turning radius? By the way, you will need two separate speed controls in the model for either choice.
                Grab an old AM Nautical Commander, gut it, and put the boards from an FM, 75mHz transmitter in there. Wa-la, two throttle sticks.

Not worth the effort in my opinion.

Learn how to solder, Damnit! You can't solder, you got no business in this game of ours.

David
                Last edited by He Who Shall Not Be Named; 10-04-2022, 07:42 PM.
                Who is John Galt?

Comment

• cheapsub
                  Lieutenant Commander
                  • Dec 2019

For some reason ACE transmitter is about $300 each.

Cutting up a old transmitter. Click image for larger version

Name:	20221005_070855.jpg
Views:	201
Size:	66.8 KB
ID:	165329

Comment

• cheapsub
                    Lieutenant Commander
                    • Dec 2019

This is the deep end of soldering.

Same but is out of control.

Comment

• redboat219
                      Admiral
                      • Dec 2008

How about a dual motor ESC?Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20221005-202356_Shopee.jpg
Views:	247
Size:	54.0 KB
ID:	165332
                      Make it simple, make strong, make it work!

Comment

• tifosi12
                        Commander
                        • Jul 2020

Originally posted by SubSteve

I'm aware that I need two ESC. My goal is to eliminate the rudder altogether and steer solely through thrust differentials.

Comment

• tifosi12
                          Commander
                          • Jul 2020

Originally posted by redboat219
                          How about a dual motor ESC?Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20221005-202356_Shopee.jpg
Views:	247
Size:	54.0 KB
ID:	165332
                          I don't think that would work as that would make both motors go at the same speed.

Comment

• tifosi12
                            Commander
                            • Jul 2020

Originally posted by He Who Shall Not Be Named

Grab an old AM Nautical Commander, gut it, and put the boards from an FM, 75mHz transmitter in there. Wa-la, two throttle sticks.

Not worth the effort in my opinion.

Learn how to solder, Damnit! You can't solder, you got no business in this game of ours.

David
                            The goal is not to end up with two throttle sticks as that would be too difficult to run the boat (I only got two hands).

Actually I have soldered a lot in my life and that's precisely why I don't want to solder an antenna extension onto the tiny circuit board of the Rx: I know that either I'd produce a short circuit or overheat those electronics.

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
                              • Aug 2008

Originally posted by tifosi12

The goal is not to end up with two throttle sticks as that would be too difficult to run the boat (I only got two hands).

Actually I have soldered a lot in my life and that's precisely why I don't want to solder an antenna extension onto the tiny circuit board of the Rx: I know that either I'd produce a short circuit or overheat those electronics.
                              If a club-footed, fat-handed, cross-eye'd creature such as I can solder without bridging closely spaced PCB pads, then so can you!! Use a 15-Watt iron with a pointed tip and you're golden.

David​
                              Who is John Galt?

Comment

Working...