X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • trout
    Admiral
    • Jul 2011

Originally posted by QuarterMaster

What are you the internet police?? Live in a Totalitarian state like Russia?
    Don't be so damn judgmental. You're NOT God. Mind your own trim.

Don't EVER tell someone else what they can, or should do.

Why do some people need validation of their existence?

If you don't like this comment, lay forward to the Torpedo room where you can find your way out via the escape Trunk.
    Well heck, Ed can do it and pull it off magnificently.
    If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• Das Boot
      Rear Admiral
      • Dec 2019

Originally posted by QuarterMaster

What are you the internet police?? Live in a Totalitarian state like Russia?
      Don't be so damn judgmental. You're NOT God. Mind your own trim.

Don't EVER tell someone else what they can, or should do.

Why do some people need validation of their existence?

If you don't like this comment, lay forward to the Torpedo room where you can find your way out via the escape Trunk.
      Click image for larger version

Name:	003B08AF-391D-4F8E-8642-91243F8A7943.jpeg
Views:	251
Size:	67.6 KB
ID:	161760
      Of the 40,000 men who served on German submarines, 30,000 never returned.”

Comment

• RCSubGuy
        Welcome to my underwater realm!
        • Aug 2009

Originally posted by Das Boot
        I believe it’s a ‘like’ icon.
        Yeah, but the icon you click on is a "thumbs up" for those looking for it...

Some people (and I admit that I'm in this group), typically limit comments to those that add value or those that are in response to a particularly juicy post. I fully understand that some people need to ongoing reinforcement of encouraging comments in order to keep them motivated, and for those people, it can be hard to see a post go up with few replies to it. It can be taken for lack of interest or laziness, which is certainly not the case.

I guess it all comes down to why you posted. Was it to share your knowledge and experience with people? Was it to gain recognition and impress people with your abilities? Was it simply to reach out for support when you're feeling challenged?

Regardless, you need to understand that, like original posters, other members fall into a spectrum as well. There are those that will reply to nearly every post with a "good job", "keep it up" or "nice work", and then there are those lurkers who hoard their replies like dragon's treasure, waiting to divulge valuable nuggets at the best times to worthy knights. There is no right and wrong. That said, it's probably better for the poster to be the former type of replier. Everyone loves a pat on the back. Not everyone can stomach crickets in the background...

Bob

Comment

• Das Boot
          Rear Admiral
          • Dec 2019

I just expressed an opinion that might give more confidence to new builders. I’m too old for pats on the back, but some might need them to know people are behind them. It wasn’t personal, although some took it that way. Your post makes sense, Bob, and it’s well taken. I’m closing the shutter doors on this one and standing down.

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
            • Aug 2008

My Dad was an accomplished Engineer, Artist, and big-time corporate Comptroller at one of Detroit's major parts manufacturers. He was also a wiz at market study and became a successful investor. He was the senior of three brothers when their dad (my grandfather) died at age 40, just at the start of the Great Depression, at 14 my father became head-of-household and held the family together till the war. He was preparing with his unit for the invasion of the Japanese Islands when America dropped the eggs (those bombs likely saved his/my life). He took his GI Bill and enrolled at the University of Michigan as an Engineering student (with a minor in Art) but switched and secured his MBA. This smart, driven, hardworking man was single mindedly focused on his objectives and obligations. My father was successful, no matter the endeavor. And he did not suffer fools.

This background to give weight to this: My dad did not hand out praise to me or my sister UNLESS we deserved it! The few occasions he granted me such consideration his words had the power of GOD.

What I'm saying is this: issuing praise should not be a cheap gift to be tossed around lightly. For praise to have any significance it should be issued only in extreme cases of good work. If you hand out praise each time Jonny wipes his own ass, you dilute the import praise should have. Today, in this everyone-gets-a-participation-trophy world, we praise someone just for showing up for work.

And this dilution of praise is rampant in the forums. For something to have value, it must be rare and worked for. I so detest the 'like' button.

When I praise it's for superior work, not just for common, pedestrian work. Dad taught me that. This Craft has standards. If you meet them, fine. If you exceed those standards -- and by so doing set a new standard -- then you are worthy of praise.

Recognize the work, not the man. For the work IS an extension of the man.

Model-building is performance art. No? Why are you posting your work here? You do it for recognition! "Hey, dig me!" -- we're all saying that the moment we mash the 'post reply' button.

Most posts I read and just move on. Those worthy of praise (few), I praise. Some posts warrant a firm kick in the ass. I'm good at that. But don't for a moment think I'll praise anyone just as a matter of course. Neither should you.

David
            The Horrible
            Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Das Boot
              Rear Admiral
              • Dec 2019

Enough said. Drop it.
              Last edited by Das Boot; 05-18-2022, 02:18 AM.

Comment

• rwtdiver
                Vice Admiral
                • Feb 2019

Originally posted by He Who Shall Not Be Named
                My Dad was an accomplished Engineer, Artist, and big-time corporate Comptroller at one of Detroit's major parts manufacturers. He was also a wiz at market study and became a successful investor. He was the senior of three brothers when their dad (my grandfather) died at age 40, just at the start of the Great Depression, at 14 my father became head-of-household and held the family together till the war. He was preparing with his unit for the invasion of the Japanese Islands when America dropped the eggs (those bombs likely saved his/my life). He took his GI Bill and enrolled at the University of Michigan as an Engineering student (with a minor in Art) but switched and secured his MBA. This smart, driven, hardworking man was single mindedly focused on his objectives and obligations. My father was successful, no matter the endeavor. And he did not suffer fools.

This background to give weight to this: My dad did not hand out praise to me or my sister UNLESS we deserved it! The few occasions he granted me such consideration his words had the power of GOD.

What I'm saying is this: issuing praise should not be a cheap gift to be tossed around lightly. For praise to have any significance it should be issued only in extreme cases of good work. If you hand out praise each time Jonny wipes his own ass, you dilute the import praise should have. Today, in this everyone-gets-a-participation-trophy world, we praise someone just for showing up for work.

And this dilution of praise is rampant in the forums. For something to have value, it must be rare and worked for. I so detest the 'like' button.

When I praise it's for superior work, not just for common, pedestrian work. Dad taught me that. This Craft has standards. If you meet them, fine. If you exceed those standards -- and by so doing set a new standard -- then you are worthy of praise.

Recognize the work, not the man. For the work IS an extension of the man.

Model-building is performance art. No? Why are you posting your work here? You do it for recognition! "Hey, dig me!" -- we're all saying that the moment we mash the 'post reply' button.

Most posts I read and just move on. Those worthy of praise (few), I praise. Some posts warrant a firm kick in the ass. I'm good at that. But don't for a moment think I'll praise anyone just as a matter of course. Neither should you.

David
                The Horrible
                Well stated David! Makes a lot of sense!

Rob
                "Firemen can stand the heat"

Comment

• DrSchmidt
                  Captain
                  • Apr 2014

Why are you posting your work here?

For my part, because I get allot of information on how to do things from other people's posts and I think it's fair to give something back, so I share my work. Given that, a short dopamine hit caused by a like or nice comment is always welcome, too.
                  Last edited by DrSchmidt; 05-18-2022, 07:29 AM.

Comment

• vital.spark
                    Commander
                    • May 2010

I fully agree with David on all but one point. I despise the verbal diarrhoea which often clutters this website! there are numerous fools out there that want to see an Admiral next to their name and post the equivalent of Amen often to reach this height! So as not to clutter the sight I do on rare occasions hit the Like Button when fully deserved!!

Comment

• Das Boot
                      Rear Admiral
                      • Dec 2019

Originally posted by vital.spark
                      I fully agree with David on all but one point. I despise the verbal diarrhoea which often clutters this website! there are numerous fools out there that want to see an Admiral next to their name and post the equivalent of Amen often to reach this height! So as not to clutter the sight I do on rare occasions hit the Like Button when fully deserved!!
                      The correct spelling is diarrhea. :)

Comment

• Scott T
                        Commander
                        • May 2009

Wow when did that button get there? I better get a like quick or I may not make it to post 343! Where is that #%$! emoji button? Oh top right... :)
                        Attached Files
                        Last edited by Scott T; 05-31-2022, 11:40 AM.

Comment

• trout
                          Admiral
                          • Jul 2011

I know I have said the well done, or atto-boy, but it is to encourage. Personally I do not give a fig about the titles. It takes a lot of time and effort to post a build or share what is happening on your bench. Is it good to get those accolades? Sure, it helps, but it is not why people post (at least I hope not). There are those that want to sit back and complain and there are those that are doing things. I will encourage the people that are posting and doing things.
                          If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

Working...