X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • redboat219
    Admiral
    • Dec 2008

CO2 Powered Torpedoes

Make it simple, make strong, make it work!
  • James Wittaker
    Lieutenant
    • Oct 2021

Don't do that ! Really dangerous and do not play with CO2, unless you wanna kill someone...

Comment

• coryhenry
      Lieutenant Commander
      • Jul 2020

Originally posted by James Wittaker
      Don't do that ! Really dangerous and do not play with CO2, unless you wanna kill someone...
      Could you expand? I've been using CO2 my entire life in many projects with no issue.

Comment

• James Wittaker
        Lieutenant
        • Oct 2021

Originally posted by coryhenry

Could you expand? I've been using CO2 my entire life in many projects with no issue.
        Here.... In the second half of this post.

USS Balao 1/32 Fleetboat - The Sub-drivers Forum (rc-sub.com)

There are many examples of CO2 in life, such as making soda (that requires specialized machines), instant inflation of airplane life jackets (CO2), etc. But if we make things ourselves (like the CO2 torpedo in the link above), we often have no way to test if the device is qualified and meets safety standards (these require specific calculations and tests, usually done by a technician.) CO2 is dangerous, and if something goes wrong with your homemade tool, the consequences are often severe.

Comment

• coryhenry
          Lieutenant Commander
          • Jul 2020

ahhh, but in the torpedo he made he used commercial CO2 containers that were already prefilled so its been tested and is designed to work just the way he used it by puncturing the thin metal for release. So low risk.

Comment

• redboat219
            Admiral
            • Dec 2008

It's like those CO2 racers used in highschool Physics class to demostrate Newton's 3rd Law of Motion.

Comment

• redboat219
              Admiral
              • Dec 2008

Originally posted by James Wittaker
              Maybe take someone's eye out with a direct hit while in the pool. Best to use it when there's no one around.

Comment

• RCSubGuy
                Welcome to my underwater realm!
                • Aug 2009

All gas torpedoes are inherently dangerous, which is why I haven't explored fully a commercial torpedo system. Our lovely culture here in the States is one of litigiousness and there is also an abhorrent lack of common sense in many people. Combine the two and you have a formula for bankruptcy when someone does something stupid and shifts blame to the kit manufacturer.

Done with common sense and appropriate safety measures, gas torpedoes are safe, whether they are propel, freon or CO2. It's people that are dangerous.

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
                  • Aug 2008

Originally posted by SubHuman
                  All gas torpedoes are inherently dangerous, which is why I haven't explored fully a commercial torpedo system. Our lovely culture here in the States is one of litigiousness and there is also an abhorrent lack of common sense in many people. Combine the two and you have a formula for bankruptcy when someone does something stupid and shifts blame to the kit manufacturer.

Done with common sense and appropriate safety measures, gas torpedoes are safe, whether they are propel, freon or CO2. It's people that are dangerous.
                  Sad but true.

Litigation Lawyers are greedy, bottom-feeding, truth-bending scum who use the 'law' to enrich themselves. And most people in this country are screaming idiots. A lawyer and an idiot will take my good works and sue me into oblivion. The marriage of litigation lawyers and idiots has successfully stymied invention and innovation in America.

America should wise up and configure Tort law so that a finding against the plaintiff also entails paying all defense and court costs. That will bring a sudden halt to the ambulance chasing, suit wearing Jackles who suck the life-juices out of this wonderful country.

David
                  Who is John Galt?

Comment

• RCSubGuy
                    Welcome to my underwater realm!
                    • Aug 2009

Originally posted by He Who Shall Not Be Named

America should wise up and configure Tort law so that a finding against the plaintiff also entails paying all defense and court costs. That will bring a sudden halt to the ambulance chasing, suit wearing Jackles who suck the life-juices out of this wonderful country.
                    This! Would make people think twice about swinging for the fences in a get rich quick scheme.

Comment

Working...