X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rwtdiver
    Vice Admiral
    • Feb 2019

Arkmodel Type Vll 1:48 Scale Submarine

The reason I am putting up this topic is to get some input on this boat and it's WTC diving system!

I know the kit itself is a quality kit. But my main question is about the WTC single piston type ballast unit that comes with this boat as a total kit. I have not been able to find out any information as to the quality or lack of about the diving system.

So, if anyone that has had firsthand knowledge of this unit could chime in, I would certainly appreciate hearing about it!

Thank you in advance for any input!

Rob
    "Firemen can stand the heat"
  • rwtdiver
    Vice Admiral
    • Feb 2019

I have searched out from every source I could possibly find, and with no information on this system whatsoever! No one installed and used WTC piston system in the Arkmodel Vll 1/48th scale boat that i can find! t

So, that tells me, that I DO NOT WANT TO BE THE FIRST! I will be going with Nautilus Drydocks (Bob) with this boat and his WTC Ballast system! You know, it's always a good feeling to go with a company (Nautilus Drydocks) that you can trust, and first and foremost with people you can trust (Bob Martin) and who will be there for you if there are any problems!!

Rob

Comment

• Monahan Steam Models
      Captain
      • Apr 2020

You’re not the first. I told you it was junk. Others here can confirm the same.

Comment

• Monahan Steam Models
        Captain
        • Apr 2020

Am I just farting unicorn rainbows into the wind for sensitive folks smell the delicious potpourri or are folks actually hearing what I’m actually saying? Like, The **** stinks and should be avoided

Comment

• SubDude
          Captain
          • Dec 2019

Originally posted by Monahan Steam Models
          Am I just farting unicorn rainbows into the wind for sensitive folks smell the delicious potpourri or are folks actually hearing what I’m actually saying? Like, The **** stinks and should be avoided
          I have never built the Arkmodel Type VII but I have heard that while the sub itself is good quality, the sub driver is a lesson in frustration so I think you are correct Nick. It can be done but there are better alternatives available as you have mentioned.

Comment

• gantu
            Commander
            • Apr 2009

I had also once shouted at arkmodel by email. Some questions had to be clarified, for example, how exactly the closure system works. never got an answer. I have heard from some other model builders that the model dragon shark should not be so good. Accuracy of fit, among other things.
            Regards Gantu

Comment

• cgbillb
              Lieutenant Commander
              • May 2018

Rob
              I have just started to build the Arkmodel U-Boat 1/48 scale as well. Like everyone on here states the WTC that's comes with the Kit is junk.
              I have the 80mm WTC from Bob, coming. Go online and order the 80mm. And start building your Sub.
              Bill
              Athens, GA.

Comment

• rwtdiver
                Vice Admiral
                • Feb 2019

Originally posted by cgbillb
                Rob
                I have just started to build the Arkmodel U-Boat 1/48 scale as well. Like everyone on here states the WTC that's comes with the Kit is junk.
                I have the 80mm WTC from Bob, coming. Go online and order the 80mm. And start building your Sub.
                Bill
                Athens, GA.
                Thanks for chiming in Bill, and thanks to all of you for your input!

There is just no information on this WTC from Arkmodels anywhere. I could not locate any instructions at all. I am currently working with Bob (Nautilus Drydocks) to purchase the Arkmodel Vll 1/48th scale kit, and the 80mm WTC. Thanks again everyone, I do appreciate the input.

Rob

Comment

• neitosub
                  Lieutenant Commander
                  • Nov 2021

Hi Rob,

I would suggest going with Bob’s 3in WTC or even the R&R 80mm WTC. There’s not much documentation available on the Arkmodel WTC and if there’s one thing that I learned from all my other RC hobbies, it’s that it’s much better to go with a product that has guaranteed parts support and customer service!

Nate

Comment

• rwtdiver
                    Vice Admiral
                    • Feb 2019

Originally posted by neitosub
                    Hi Rob,

I would suggest going with Bob’s 3in WTC or even the R&R 80mm WTC. There’s not much documentation available on the Arkmodel WTC and if there’s one thing that I learned from all my other RC hobbies, it’s that it’s much better to go with a product that has guaranteed parts support and customer service!

Nate
                    I hear you Nate,

I have already decided to purchase the Arkmodel Vll kit and the R&R 80mm Dual Shaft WTC from Bob (Nautilus Drydocks) It's been my go to company for all my submarine kits and parts since I got into the hobby!

As I have stated before, Nautilus Drydocks is a great company, and Bob is a great guy!! (Hope this dose no go to his head) :-))

Rob

Comment

• Sam Victory
                      Commander
                      • Sep 2021

I think my words are convincing, because I have heard many Chinese modelers' comments and their real feelings about Arkmodel submarines. First of all, the kits of Arkmodel VIIC submarines are very good, even great. However, the WTC is not as good as it should be, there are many problems, and even according to the instructions it is impossible for modellers to assemble it perfectly. I think this is caused by Arkmodel's lack of attention to the rc submarine over the years, their technical staff did not seriously study the rc submarine technology, in the processing technology, material selection, understanding of the ballast system is far from enough, so the quality of the product made can not make everyone satisfied. Secondly, Arkmodel does not only sell rc submarines, rc submarines are only a small part of their products. Because there are a lot of people who play with models in China, but there are hardly any people who play with rc submarines. I think it is a road of no return to develop rc submarines in China, which eventually even led Arkmodel to bankruptcy, maybe this also led Arkmodel to not pay enough attention to rc submarines, they only ensure the beauty of ''external submarine hull'', but not enough attention to the internal ''core''. Arkmodel mainly sells ship models, tanks and other rc models, submarines are very few because they are not profitable and not many people in China play with them.As a businessman, the owner of Arkmodel puts profit before the quality of the product, perhaps too eagerly, yet the fact remains that the quality of the product and the service attitude are often irritating, at least in the case of submarine products. So I suggest to buy Arkmodel's submarine hull is enough, as for WTC, you can make it yourself or buy other products.

V
                      Last edited by Sam Victory; 12-28-2021, 08:27 PM.

Comment

• rwtdiver
                        Vice Admiral
                        • Feb 2019

Originally posted by Sam Victory
                        I think my words are convincing, because I have heard many Chinese modelers' comments and their real feelings about Arkmodel submarines. First of all, the kits of Arkmodel VIIC submarines are very good, even great. However, the WTC is not as good as it should be, there are many problems, and even according to the instructions it is impossible for modellers to assemble it perfectly. I think this is caused by Arkmodel's lack of attention to the rc submarine over the years, their technical staff did not seriously study the rc submarine technology, in the processing technology, material selection, understanding of the ballast system is far from enough, so the quality of the product made can not make everyone satisfied. Secondly, Arkmodel does not only sell rc submarines, rc submarines are only a small part of their products. Because there are a lot of people who play with models in China, but there are hardly any people who play with rc submarines. I think it is a road of no return to develop rc submarines in China, which eventually even led Arkmodel to bankruptcy, maybe this also led Arkmodel to not pay enough attention to rc submarines, they only ensure the beauty of ''external submarine hull'', but not enough attention to the internal ''core''. Arkmodel mainly sells ship models, tanks and other rc models, submarines are very few because they are not profitable and not many people in China play with them.As a businessman, the owner of Arkmodel puts profit before the quality of the product, perhaps too eagerly, yet the fact remains that the quality of the product and the service attitude are often irritating, at least in the case of submarine products. So I suggest to buy Arkmodel's submarine hull is enough, as for WTC, you can make it yourself or buy other products.

V
                        V.

Thank you for your input. What you are saying makes good sense as to why Arkmodels WTC is not a quality product. I have already made the decision not to use there WTC, but I think the type Vll boat is great!

Thanks,
                        Rob

Comment

• RCSubGuy
                          Welcome to my underwater realm!
                          • Aug 2009

Just because I want in on beating this dead horse a bit...

I get at least one or two emails per month from people looking for either my help in putting the Arkmodel cylinder together, or asking me to do it for them. On top of that, I'll get another one or two from people saying that they've trashed the entire cylinder and want to purchase a new one from me.

The consensus is absolutely unanimous.

The Arkmodel cylinder is junk. It's a turd.

Certainly it can be polished by anyone foolhardy or insane enough to try, but WHY!!!!??? Unfortunately, the price attracts far too many budget-minded individuals who lack the experience (or intentionally overlook the red flags) to build the cylinder.

Rob went the right route, so no need to continue to offer him advice, but for anyone else looking to get into this boat, take our advice seriously. The few bucks you'll save now will disappear like tears in the rain when you start fighting with that cylinder, and eventually, you'll end up buying a proper cylinder anyway.

Bob

Comment

• cgbillb
                            Lieutenant Commander
                            • May 2018

Bob, Do you know when we will be getting our WTC.
                            Rob beware that you have to cut out two bulkheads to install the WTC from the rear, as the manual states.
                            Bill
                            Athens Ga.

Comment

• RCSubGuy
                              Welcome to my underwater realm!
                              • Aug 2009

Bill,

See separate thread under Drydocks Products.

Comment

Working...