Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • trout
    Admiral
    • Jul 2011

David shows the nice experienced way to open a Type XXIII up.....I show you how not to do it, but I do recover. https://forum.rc-sub.com/forum/build...nco-type-xxiii
    If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• Das Boot
      Rear Admiral
      • Dec 2019

Is the fittings kit for this boat still made?
      Of the 40,000 men who served on German submarines, 30,000 never returned.”

Comment

• Monahan Steam Models
        Captain
        • Apr 2020

Originally posted by Das Boot
        Check out this video. The gentleman used the factory break in the hull with a slight mod.https://youtu.be/dwpT6FzhrZI
        Yup, that’s Manfred’s boat. He did a great job building that boat. Here’s a link to his build: https://forum.rc-sub.com/forum/build...pe-xxiii-to-rc

His method of using the original split in the hull is the way the other company should have done it instead of requiring another cut to be made.

Comment

• Monahan Steam Models
          Captain
          • Apr 2020

Originally posted by Das Boot
          Is the fittings kit for this boat still made?
          Not currently but I believe it is on Bob’s radar to produce it again sometime in the future. A few folks are interested and have been asking for it.

I have a fittings set for the type XXIII I’ve begun building recently but it is missing only a few of the original components. Not a big deal as those parts can be made easily.

Comment

• Monahan Steam Models
            Captain
            • Apr 2020

Originally posted by trout
            David shows the nice experienced way to open a Type XXIII up.....I show you how not to do it, but I do recover. https://forum.rc-sub.com/forum/build...nco-type-xxiii
            Tom,

The past few days I’ve been re-reading both your build as well as David’s as I’ve finally begun working on mine. Great builds to follow!

Nick

Comment

• Das Boot
              Rear Admiral
              • Dec 2019

I have to finish my other boats first.
              Last edited by Das Boot; 11-04-2021, 09:21 AM.

Comment

• trout
                Admiral
                • Jul 2011

Originally posted by Monahan Steam Models

Tom,

The past few days I’ve been re-reading both your build as well as David’s as I’ve finally begun working on mine. Great builds to follow!

Nick
                That is awesome! Definitely want to see what you do with it.
                If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• Das Boot
                  Rear Admiral
                  • Dec 2019

On the way. Probably sit on a shelf who knows how long, Click image for larger version

Name:	1806E295-8B2C-4173-9293-391CDB6F19E6.jpeg
Views:	141
Size:	63.9 KB
ID:	155432

Comment

• Monahan Steam Models
                    Captain
                    • Apr 2020

Casey

Always better to have it on the shelf for a future build than to realize in the future you’d like to build one and there are none left.

Whenever I find a kit or model that I think I would like to build I grab one if one is available. Or if there was a model that I’ve built that I particularly enjoyed I’ll sometimes buy a second to have incase I’d like to build another down the road. You can always sell them later.

After 32 years in this model boat and submarine building hobby I’ve learned you gotta get it while the getting is good because what’s available now will most likely not be available down the road.

Nick

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
                      • Aug 2008

Originally posted by Monahan Steam Models
                      Casey

Always better to have it on the shelf for a future build than to realize in the future you’d like to build one and there are none left.

Whenever I find a kit or model that I think I would like to build I grab one if one is available. Or if there was a model that I’ve built that I particularly enjoyed I’ll sometimes buy a second to have incase I’d like to build another down the road. You can always sell them later.

After 32 years in this model boat and submarine building hobby I’ve learned you gotta get it while the getting is good because what’s available now will most likely not be available down the road.

Nick
                      Aman!.....
                      Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Das Boot
                        Rear Admiral
                        • Dec 2019

I’ve got the last painting to do on the 1/96 SCORPION. Then put on the decals and overcoat. Then I can do something else.

Comment

Working...