X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • redboat219
    Admiral
    • Dec 2008

Now every WTC is a Subdriver

Just sharing this. Click image for larger version  Name:	Screenshot_20211009-132400_Facebook.jpg Views:	0 Size:	83.7 KB ID:	154160
    I feel it's inappropriate to call someone's scratchbuilt WTC a Subdriver. Not sure if David patented or copyrighted his brand of WTC but out of respect for the man STOP calling it a Subdriver.

Let's say Mr. X, posted online that his boat was lost due to his Subdriver leaking like a sieve, the guy who's going to look bad in peoples eye will be David not Mr. X for a crappy SD.
    Last edited by redboat219; 10-09-2021, 02:33 AM.
    Make it simple, make strong, make it work!
  • He Who Shall Not Be Named
    • Aug 2008

Originally posted by redboat219
    Just sharing this. Click image for larger version Name:	Screenshot_20211009-132400_Facebook.jpg Views:	0 Size:	83.7 KB ID:	154160
    I feel it's inappropriate to call someone's scratchbuilt WTC a Subdriver. Not sure if David patented or copyrighted his brand of WTC but out of respect for the man STOP calling it a Subdriver.

Let's say Mr. X, posted online that his boat was lost due to his Subdriver leaking like a sieve, the guy who's going to look bad in peoples eye will be David not Mr. X for a crappy SD.
    Your point about the 'subdriver' name being used to describe a crummy WTC (I originated the WTC term) is well taken. And people who do use that name to (unintentially, I hope) muddy my reputation a bit are beyond my reach... legally speaking.

Point of interest: It was after we were engaged by Mr. Caswell to develop and produce product for his company that he assigned the name 'subdriver' to, what up to that time, Ellie and I had simply referred to as the WTC. The term continued after the Caswell companies interests had been transferred to Bob Martin.

As Bob's own design of a WTC comes on line I'm confident he will come up with his own term for that product, in an effort to distance it from my design.

No, Ellie and I never secured copyright or patent protection of name or product as we neither had the funds nor time to chase offenders around the globe. I don't know if Mr. Caswell did either.

So. For good or bad the term 'subdriver' is in the public domain, as far as I know. Just another term to throw about, such as: 'module', 'WTC', 'MSD', 'SD', and 'Tupperware' (gee... thanks... Johann!).

Click image for larger version

Name:	077 - Copy.JPG
Views:	191
Size:	45.1 KB
ID:	154162Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0089.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	50.3 KB
ID:	154163Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF5870.JPG
Views:	171
Size:	69.8 KB
ID:	154164

David
    Formerly D&E Miniatures
    Who is John Galt?

Comment

• RCSubGuy
      Welcome to my underwater realm!
      • Aug 2009

You mean on top of designing a new cylinder, I need to figure out a new name for them!? Yeesssh..

Maybe we can have a contest to come up with a new name!?

Comment

• Aug 2008

Originally posted by SubHuman
        You mean on top of designing a new cylinder, I need to figure out a new name for them!? Yeesssh..

Maybe we can have a contest to come up with a new name!?
        Hey, I would be honored if you kept the name, Bob. It just should not be out there for general use, for the reason Redboat219 stated. You are the only exception I would approve of.

David
        The Retired
        Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Ken_NJ
          Captain
          • Sep 2014

Originally posted by He Who Shall Not Be Named
          David
          The Retired
          Must be a feel good title! I like it!

Also like 'subdriver'. I have two originals. I like old school, but nothing wrong moving into the future.

Comment

• redboat219
            Admiral
            • Dec 2008

How about ASDS for Advance Subdriver System or
            ASDIC for Advance Subdriver Improved Cylinder
            Make it simple, make strong, make it work!

Comment

• Aug 2008

Originally posted by redboat219
              How about ASDS for Advance Subdriver System or
              ASDIC for Advance Subdriver Improved Cylinder
              How 'bout we let Bob decide what to call his new gizmo? There you go!... GIZMO!!!!!

Slow day at the forum, huh, guy's?

Not a peep about innovative linkages and challenging r/c submarine subjects, and good old-fashioned mechanical problem solving. No! Yet, we gravitate to the trivial and stupid **** like, how and why to name things.

We're supposed to be better than this nonsense! Am I the only swinging-**** out there making useful posts?

The lexicon is already out there. Use it!

David
              Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Rick Teskey
                Lieutenant Commander
                • Jan 2009

How about Thing a ma Bob?

Comment

• Aug 2008

Originally posted by Rick Teskey
                  How about Thing a ma Bob?
                  Perfect. And Canada comes through with yet another home-run!

David
                  Who is John Galt?

Comment

• trout
                    Admiral
                    • Jul 2011

Originally posted by He Who Shall Not Be Named

No, Ellie and I never secured copyright or patent protection of name or product as we neither had the funds nor time to chase offenders around the globe. I don't know if Mr. Caswell did either.
                    My memory is failing. I recall Mike saying he did and would fight to protect the name. I will humbly eat crow and stop saying this.
                    If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• Aug 2008

Originally posted by trout

My memory is failing. I recall Mike saying he did and would fight to protect the name. I will humbly eat crow and stop saying this.
                      Yeah. I vaguely remember hearing something like that, Tom. But, it was his product line so I paid little attention to the details of how things were marketed or protected from unfair business practices. I was just an inventor/developer/producer/vendor. It was up to Mike, and later Bob, to protect their product. Ellie and I stopped freelancing the moment we signed on with Mike, and later Bob. Now, Ellie is no more and I'm retired working on my bucket-list. We're out of the commercial side of the game.

David
                      Who is John Galt?

Comment

Working...