X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • CC Clarke
    Lieutenant Commander
    • Aug 2020

Attachment Types

Haven't seen this question asked before and figured someone will quickly chime in with an answer.

As I create a 3D modeling series of tutorials, the lessons are becoming quite large. Not bloated or anything, just I'm adding a lot of details and screenshots to cover potential questions from those who would use them and have a more productive experience while minimizing the frustration I dealt with when starting out.

Things I take for granted, have to be described in great detail so the reader understands not only the process getting from A to B, but more importantly, why they're doing it that way. Most of us accept new info better if we have a decent grasp of the processes and methodology that drives them.

Creating each lesson with figures to match what the viewer is seeing (or not) works well if the lessons can be created in Word, formatted as pdfs and posted as attachments. Can we do this on the site? If so, is there a file size limit?

I'd rather avoid posting them on another hosting site. Otherwise, to keep them here means ten lessons will become (at least) twenty posts with figures attached at the bottom that folks have to jump through or use two monitors to work in one and read from the other. Not horrible, but less than ideal.

I anticipate over time, the majority of the posted submissions in the thread will be from viewers with questions when they can't figure something out, with answers to help them advance. Those are instructional too, but a well-written and organized procedure minimizes confusion.

Thanks in advance.

CC
    Last edited by CC Clarke; 09-10-2021, 08:07 PM.
  • RCSubGuy
    Welcome to my underwater realm!
    • Aug 2009

I'd have to look into it, but I think the file formats are limited to PDF, ZIP, JPEG, etc. If you're making a Word doc, just save as a PDF and you'll be fine. This will also preserve the formatting for anyone viewing in non-proprietary programs.

Thanks so much for doing this for everyone! I can't wait to see what you come up with.

Bob

Comment

• CC Clarke
      Lieutenant Commander
      • Aug 2020

That was exactly the answer I was hoping for Bob. Thank you. I'll format in Word, add the figures and attach in pdf format,

Comment

• rwtdiver
        Vice Admiral
        • Feb 2019

CC!

I feel like you are really going to not only enhance our hobby of submarine building, but knowledge and skills that can be applied in other areas as well!

I to want to THANK YOU for taking your time to help us learn these skills!

Rob
        "Firemen can stand the heat"

Comment

• trout
          Admiral
          • Jul 2011

I agree with Rob, this is really a wonderful and timely teaching.
          If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• CC Clarke
            Lieutenant Commander
            • Aug 2020

Thanks, but please save the praise until I produce something.

The first four lessons are in the can. Now that I know I can submit pdfs, I can add more details. If I can find them, I'll also include video links from my former instructor to reinforce the tool use.

Took a break for awhile last night and relaxed modifying the Alpha available for purchase here. Most of the lower hull is complete, and the tail is getting a complete makeover, so what you see here doesn't include that. Added the main seawater cooling scoops and other details including a group of limber holes amidships.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Scoop Final.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	28.1 KB
ID:	153364

Comment

Working...