X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rwtdiver
    Vice Admiral
    • Feb 2019

Unorthodox Submarine Building

I think this new (Topic) build blog will be a better fit into my style of submarine building! I have been at it for about two years, and I am really not in the elite building format that this forum is comprised of! I would still like to contribute in my own way not using the standard tried and true building methods which have been frustrating for me! If I am going to enjoy this hobby, I need to use methods and standards which are more suited to my abilities at this time in my life!

With this all being said, I do hope you will allow me to post my projects (submarine building) in the unorthodox ways and methods that I use! If any of you on this forum feel my new blog is not inline with the standards here please tell me!

Rob
    Crazy old man at work!
    Last edited by rwtdiver; 08-28-2021, 05:09 PM.
  • He Who Shall Not Be Named
    • Aug 2008

More crazy!
    Who is John Galt?

Comment

• rwtdiver
      Vice Admiral
      • Feb 2019

Originally posted by He Who Shall Not Be Named
      More crazy!
      I think I feel that "more crazy" means that you are OK with it!? And coming from the master, I will move it forward!

Rob
      "Crazy old man at work"

Comment

• rwtdiver
        Vice Admiral
        • Feb 2019

My first out of scale build is the Russian Alfa.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Russian Alfa Class #1.jpg
Views:	323
Size:	77.1 KB
ID:	152845

Name:	Alfa Boat 4.jpg
Views:	290
Size:	66.3 KB
ID:	152846Click image for larger version

Name:	Alfa Boat 5.jpg
Views:	300
Size:	64.2 KB
ID:	152847

This Alfa is a close 1:72 scale (approximately 41" long) I designed it around a 3.5" OD 3.25" ID plexiglass cylinder. My plane is to design and build a piston type ballast system for this sub!

Rob
        "Crazy old man at work"

Comment

• rwtdiver
          Vice Admiral
          • Feb 2019

I have a question about piston ballast tanks! The two motors I have need to be replaced because of the wiring!

Name:	P Motor 1.jpg
Views:	247
Size:	56.2 KB
ID:	152863

Name:	P Motor.jpg
Views:	241
Size:	49.4 KB
ID:	152864

Through time the connections are just breaking off right at the casing. So I want to replace them! I have been on Amazon and found the exact size motors (Casing and voltage) but I can not find anywhere the RPM specifications. And of course amazon has these motors anywhere from 60 RPM up to 2000 RPM and everywhere in between!

Any help as to the RPM would be greatly appreciated!

Rob
          "Crazy old man at work"

Comment

• rwtdiver
            Vice Admiral
            • Feb 2019

I think I have found the replacement motors for my piston tank systems!

Name:	Alfa Piston.jpg
Views:	275
Size:	60.6 KB
ID:	152897

It is the exact same physical size as the original in every respect. 12 volt 200 RPM!

Rob
            "Crazy old man at work"

Comment

• SubDude
              Captain
              • Dec 2019

I can't comment on the RPM question but I know exactly what you mean when you said on the Dive Tribe that if your printer isn't running you feel like you are not making progress. Now that the Thresher parts are done my printers have been sitting idle for two days and I am about beside myself. I have plenty to put together but it's like being lost because those machines are not running. Unorthodox? Some of the best building solutions come from innovations that break with the status quo. I don't see that as being Unorthodox. Build em the way you want to and don't ever think you are somehow not contributing by doing so. Crazy on!

Comment

• SubDude
                Captain
                • Dec 2019

What seems to be causing the terminals to fail?

Comment

• rwtdiver
                  Vice Admiral
                  • Feb 2019

Originally posted by RCJetDude
                  What seems to be causing the terminals to fail?
                  Thanks for your support Steve! As Clint Eastwood ounce said, "A Man Has Got to Know His Limitations" Pushing eighty & health issues just means you have to be realistic and put things into perspective! But, NEVER GIVE UP!! I love this hobby, and I intend to keep pushing forward!

The big thing for me is, I have found a REALLY nice group of people on this forum and the Dive Tribe that I appreciate and respect and consider you all as being my friends!

Yes I hear you for sure about the printers running! Just to quite!

As to your question about the motor terminals! These are old motors off of an ARKmodel piston tank and the terminal ends have been bent back and forth so many times they just broke off. I will try to salvage them by re-soldering, but just not much there to solder to!

Rob
                  "Crazy old man at work"
                  Last edited by rwtdiver; 08-29-2021, 03:31 PM.

Comment

• redboat219
                    Admiral
                    • Dec 2008

Why not just take the reduction gear off the old motor and attach it to a new 380 motor?
                    Make it simple, make strong, make it work!

Comment

• rwtdiver
                      Vice Admiral
                      • Feb 2019

Originally posted by redboat219
                      Why not just take the reduction gear off the old motor and attach it to a new 380 motor?
                      Romel,

Good suggestion, and possible solution! I will take the one bad motor I have and pull the gear box off and see if it might work!

Thank you!

Rob
                      "Crazy old man at work"

Comment

• rwtdiver
                        Vice Admiral
                        • Feb 2019

I have a question in designing and building my WTC/ ballast system on my two Alfa boats?

Going over information in Bob's new book under WTC section and ballast sizing. It states I must weigh the fully assembled sub ABOVE SURFACED WATER LINE! Where would the above surfaced water line be on the boat? And what entails a FULLY assembled sub model? WTC, drive motor, servos, electronics, is this everything EXCEPT the ballast tank itself? I want to build both these EXPERIMENTAL Alfa's as close to the math involved in sizing out the ballast tanks!

Rob
                        "Crazy old man at work"

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
                          • Aug 2008

Originally posted by rwtdiver
                          I have a question in designing and building my WTC/ ballast system on my two Alfa boats?

Going over information in Bob's new book under WTC section and ballast sizing. It states I must weigh the fully assembled sub ABOVE SURFACED WATER LINE! Where would the above surfaced water line be on the boat? And what entails a FULLY assembled sub model? WTC, drive motor, servos, electronics, is this everything EXCEPT the ballast tank itself? I want to build both these EXPERIMENTAL Alfa's as close to the math involved in sizing out the ballast tanks!

Rob
                          "Crazy old man at work"
                          Weight of the above waterline structures is not the issue. Displacement of the above waterline portions is the issue. What is the weight of the water displaced by the above waterline structures? Work out that number, then take that number and divide it by the specific gravity of the material from which those structures is made (I bet it will be close to '1'). And that number is the weight of water your ballast tank has to hold. Good engineering practice calls for a smart doobie to add 10% to that to account for the inevitable errors in measurement.

David
                          Last edited by He Who Shall Not Be Named; 08-31-2021, 10:58 AM. Reason: Andy identified my math error. I said 'multiply' incorrectly. It should have read, 'divide'.
                          Who is John Galt?

Comment

• rwtdiver
                            Vice Admiral
                            • Feb 2019

Originally posted by He Who Shall Not Be Named

Weight of the above waterline structures is not the issue. Displacement of the above waterline portions is the issue. What is the weight of the water displaced by the above waterline structures? Work out that number, then take that number and multiply it by the specific gravity of the material from which those structures is made (I bet it will be close to '1'). And that number is the weight of water your ballast tank has to hold. Good engineering practice calls for a smart doobie to add 10% to that to account for the inevitable errors in measurement.

David
                            I am still not understanding this!

What is this waterline you are referring to? What are the waterline structures?

Name:	ALFA Drawing.jpg
Views:	240
Size:	56.6 KB
ID:	152936

Why can't someone build the boat, put in enough weight to get it to deck a wash, fill the ballast tank by pumping water in to get the boat to just the sail being above water line and move out? when you want to rise up you pump the water out and the boat rises to the deck a wash level again?

Sorry David! It just seems you can just add an subtract weight to get a boat to a certain level in the water, and by pumping water in and out ballast tank you can fine tune that adjustment!

Rob
                            "Crazy old man at work"

Comment

• rwtdiver
                              Vice Admiral
                              • Feb 2019

To get my Borei to what you see, was just adding weight and some foam! It has no ballast tank! If it did all I would have to do is pump water in (a little at a time) submerge it a little, then pump water out to bring it back up to the original water level! You add water it take it down, you subtract water and it comes back up! No math required here! You add or subtract weight, the weight being water!

What am I missing?

Rob
                              "Crazy old man building"

Last edited by rwtdiver; 08-31-2021, 02:09 AM.

Comment

Working...