• Show
Clear All

• redboat219
    replied
    Click image for larger version

Name:	images (31).jpeg
Views:	363
Size:	26.3 KB
ID:	153137 Rub a bit of Vaseline on the shaft before you shove it into the hole.
    Last edited by redboat219; 09-06-2021, 01:56 AM.

Leave a comment:

• rwtdiver
    replied
    Originally posted by RCJetDude
    Looks very clean Rob. Nice work!
    Thanks Steve,

The first stern set up was trashed! Had to print another one. Some thin CA got in between the brass tub (sleeve) and the brass control rod, and you know what the end result of that was!!

Rob
    "Firemen can stand the heat"
    Last edited by rwtdiver; 09-11-2021, 12:10 PM.

Leave a comment:

• SubDude
    replied
    Looks very clean Rob. Nice work!

Leave a comment:

• rwtdiver
    replied
    The Alfa Stern section is DONE!

Click image for larger version  Name:	Alfa cont 2.jpg Views:	77 Size:	53.9 KB ID:	153124Click image for larger version  Name:	Alfra Cont 1.jpg Views:	71 Size:	52.5 KB ID:	153125

I have the stern dive planes mounted and functional, and the upper and lower rudder system mounted and functional! I realize to most of you, this is no big deal! I have built 10 submarines in the past 2 years, and they have all been just surface runners (lower rudder and propulsion) This will be my first submarine with full and functional control systems!

With the help of several people on this forum (David M., Tom, Steve, "SUB" Ed, and Bob Martin) just to name a few. I am one step closer to scratch building my first operational diving submarine! I still have a ton of design work and building to do, but I have overcome one obstacle that has been a real challenge for me!

A little coffee break, and then moving on to the next challenges!!

Rob
    Last edited by rwtdiver; 09-11-2021, 12:09 PM.

Leave a comment:

• rwtdiver
    replied
    Today I am going to install the upper and lower rudders! This is where it gets tight!

Click image for larger version  Name:	Alfa Rud 3.jpg Views:	73 Size:	68.6 KB ID:	153118Click image for larger version  Name:	Alfa Rud 2.jpg Views:	64 Size:	63.1 KB ID:	153119

I first bored out the holes for the holes for the 1/8" brass sleeves. Then I installed the brass tubing in my drill and installed the sleeve tubing in one piece! Then I will cut out the center section leaving me with the sleeves installed and ready for the 3/32" control rod!

Rob
    Last edited by rwtdiver; 09-11-2021, 12:09 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Slats
    replied
    Originally posted by redboat219
    Why not saw off the top and bottom fixed rudder stabilizer and glue the control surfaces in place and make it an all moving surface. This way you can offset the rudder axis from the dive planes.
    And that's exactly what I did on all 3 Alfa's I built over the years - with the exception that I did this only to the lower rudder and its vertical fixed stabilizer. That, and keeping the weight down to reduce mass momentum and plonking the centre of the ballast tank at the centre of rotation and you will have a great handling boat.
    Last edited by Slats; 09-05-2021, 02:57 AM.

Leave a comment:

• rwtdiver
    replied
    Why not saw off the top and bottom fixed rudder stabilizer and glue the control surfaces in place and make it an all moving surface. This way you can offset the rudder axis from the dive planes.
    Romel,

That sounds like a real possibility and most likely would work! Thank you for the suggestion! I already have the linkage system built for the upper and lower rudder, and they will be installed tomorrow! As I have stated, I may be building one more 1:72 Alfa and I may just put your idea to the test! It would certainly make the linkages and there hook up easier!

Lots of good ideas on this forum!

Rob
    Last edited by rwtdiver; 09-11-2021, 12:08 PM.

Leave a comment:

• redboat219
    replied

Leave a comment:

• rwtdiver
    replied
    Originally posted by He Who Shall Not Be Named
    Indeed! You're a quick study.

David
    Thank you David! Your a great teacher!

Rob

Leave a comment:

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
    replied
    Indeed! You're a quick study.

David

Leave a comment:

• rwtdiver
    replied
    Originally posted by CC Clarke
    I noticed that the first time I looked at the stern file. If you look at pictures of the stern, the side profile is not symmetrical; the lower end is different. I am modifying the stern planes pivot point to ensure neither axis coincides.

That being said, symmetrical modeling is a huge timesaver. You build one side and when it's complete, mirror it to the other. Any asymmetrical differences can be added then.
    I certainly see your point! Offsetting the axis points sure would have made the stern section of the one I am building a lot easier!

None the less after about 4 solid hours of fitting, cutting, sanding, soldering, gluing, and certainly some of David M's superlative cussing, I got the dive plane linkage in, and it works great!

Click image for larger version  Name:	Alfa linkage 2.jpg Views:	46 Size:	49.8 KB ID:	153101
    Click image for larger version  Name:	Alfa linkage 1.jpg Views:	35 Size:	50.7 KB ID:	153102

Now I can move onto the upper and lower rudder linkage!! David would be proud of me!!!

Rob

Leave a comment:

• CC Clarke
    replied
    I noticed that the first time I looked at the stern file. If you look at pictures of the stern, the side profile is not symmetrical; the lower end is different. I am modifying the stern planes pivot point to ensure neither axis coincides.

That being said, symmetrical modeling is a huge timesaver. You build one side and when it's complete, mirror it to the other. Any asymmetrical differences can be added then.

Leave a comment:

• rwtdiver
    replied
    Sometimes building these subs can get very frustrating!

Click image for larger version  Name:	Alfa Stern.jpg Views:	54 Size:	57.5 KB ID:	153094Click image for larger version  Name:	Alfa stern 2.jpg Views:	42 Size:	57.1 KB ID:	153095

The stern section files on this Alfa could have been designed a little better. The fact that the rudder and the dive planes are exact center of one another inside the stern make it tough going to get the required linkage needed to get all four surfaces operational. It's to bad the appendages and stern are one piece. This would have made the linkage installation a lot easier and more substantial.

Re-printed another stern, and with lessons learned I will get this one!!!

Rob
    Last edited by rwtdiver; 09-11-2021, 12:07 PM.

Leave a comment:

• rwtdiver
    replied
    Hi Rob.

Will your bow planes be retractable or in a fixed extended position?
    Also, you may want to check this thread out https://forum.rc-sub.com/forum/gener...lfa-bow-planes
    Romel,

Thank you for posting the thread site! I really liked the photos of David M's Alfa! The main reason for the two Alfa builds was to design and build my own WTC and ballast systems, and use the Alfa's as the build platforms! As I build on these boats, I am really starting to like there design! Really growing on me! I may even build up another 1:72 scale Alfa and really spend some time scaling it out!

Not sure just yet about the bow planes? I know I will not take the time to make them retractable, but functional as dive planes, a possibility!

Thanks again for putting up the thread site, really appreciate it!

Rob
    Last edited by rwtdiver; 09-11-2021, 12:06 PM.

Leave a comment:

• redboat219
    replied
    Hi Rob.

Will your bow planes be retractable or in a fixed extended position?
    Also, you may want to check this thread out https://forum.rc-sub.com/forum/gener...lfa-bow-planes

Leave a comment:

Working...