Lieutenant, Junior Grade
    • Jun 2021

A few pics of my small fleet.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2507.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	48.8 KB
ID:	151481
    My Mobius Skipjack 1/72. I've had a lot of fun with this. I'm not good at painting or weathering as you can tell. Actually in my first post, I claimed to have lost this sub in 20+ feet of water, I did not in fact lose this sub, I did however loose my Permit class. My apologies. This was my first RC sub i bought 2014-ish.

Name:	IMG_2508.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	46.4 KB
ID:	151482
    My 3D printed 1/72 La Jolla (SSN-701) based on the 1/96 Los Angeles I purchased on Nautilus Drydocks. I did however make some modifications including the DDS as well as added .303" to the total length. I'm going to use the same sub driver in my Skipjack. The sub driver I would rather use is in my Permit which is on the bottom of the lake. I'm exited about this one. Obviously and this goes without saying, I am very bad at painting and weathering, Its still in the painting phase as i wait on a custom 72mm 7 blade prop I designed just for this boat.

Name:	IMG_2510.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	44.8 KB
ID:	151483
    This is my own semi-designed 3D printed 26" SDV. I actually got this from thingiverse but felt the need to make extensive modifications like interior running lights, a detailed backlit instrument panel, a deck and improve the sliding doors as well as modify the geometry to be inline with the real world counterpart, So its based on a thing i found on thingiverse but I have made it better IMO. The original creator has given me great feedback. I've wanted to do this for a while. Its not radio controlled, its actually rubber band powered and just for pool use. Its super fun and I can even put 2 GoPros in it and get some cool videos. I've been thinking about building one for the purpose of radio control. I was thinking 1/6 scale that way i can use 1/6 scale action figures. Anyone want to collaborate?

Name:	IMG_2511.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	52.0 KB
ID:	151484
    I posted this in the early stages in another thread. Its not quite done but worth mentioning. Its my own design, I wanted something that looked technologically advanced, extremely stealthy and could reduce the population of any standing nation to zero with a press of a single button or a simple voice command, but didn't look like it was associated with the west or east. I would think a real life sub like this would run with a small crew using a military equivalent of Alexis or Siri along with AI and radically advance machine learning algorithms . The sub driver that will be used is similar to Skipjack. The 52mm prop may be slightly underpowered for this but I have designed one I could print if needed. 3D printed our of PETG, designed in Autodesk inventor . I will hand scribe torpedo doors, VLS doors, vents etc.

So as for me...im still working on my painting and weathering skills. I'm still very new to this hobby and I'm sill leering a lot. Been really interested in building 1/144 scale subs lately. Like the Trumpeter Seawolf and Astute to use in pools or small ponds.

Hope you like.
    Attached Files
  • rwtdiver
    Vice Admiral
    • Feb 2019

Those are nice boats Saltydog! We all have to start somewhere with this hobby! It is certainly a total learning experience for sure, and as a newbie myself!! I have so much more to learn!

Keep up the good work! You are at least building, and that is a good thing! Just make sure to have fun with it!

Rob
    "Firemen can stand the heat"

Comment

• biggsgolf
      Captain
      • Jan 2020

What Rob said!

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
        • Aug 2008

Your weathering: stop using fire-crackers as a medium application tool. Find a hull you'll never finish and use that as your training donkey. Your weathering is awful. You should be ashamed!

Practice, practice... practice.

Name:	DSCF3367.JPG
Views:	154
Size:	63.6 KB
ID:	151488Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0068 (3).JPG
Views:	148
Size:	68.4 KB
ID:	151489Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0146 (2).JPG
Views:	155
Size:	95.1 KB
ID:	151490Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0145.JPG
Views:	153
Size:	87.2 KB
ID:	151491Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0187.JPG
Views:	137
Size:	61.5 KB
ID:	151492Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0189 (2).JPG
Size:	65.5 KB
ID:	151493Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0197.JPG
Size:	84.1 KB
ID:	151494Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0196.JPG
Views:	136
Size:	49.7 KB
ID:	151495Click image for larger version

Name:	image035.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	61.0 KB
ID:	151496Click image for larger version

Name:	Img0358.JPG
Views:	146
Size:	88.8 KB
ID:	151497Click image for larger version

Name:	Img0358.JPG
Size:	88.8 KB
ID:	151498

David
        Who is John Galt?

Comment

• RCSubGuy
          Welcome to my underwater realm!
          • Aug 2009

Weathering is a skill that takes a lot of time to develop properly. Remember... less is more, especially for the types of boats you're building. Modern subs are kept in pristine condition by their respective navies and are never allowed to enter a state of advanced corrosion. It would be a different story if you were modeling a WWII fleetboat just back from a 6 month war patrol at sea.

Comment

Working...