X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Das Boot
    Rear Admiral
    • Dec 2019

$2300.00? Am I dreaming?

1/96 Soviet Piranha (Losos) Class RC Submarine ARTR | Drydocks (rc-submarine.com)
    Last edited by Das Boot; 07-06-2021, 02:58 AM.
    Of the 40,000 men who served on German submarines, 30,000 never returned.”
  • Subculture
    Admiral
    • Feb 2009

Buying is optional.

You can build one for buttons with a degree of skill and patience.

Comment

• RCSubGuy
      Welcome to my underwater realm!
      • Aug 2009

Price doesn’t agree with you? Shucks, I’m sorry. I bet it does with someone, though.

It’s priced based on being a fully built and professionally painted, fully assembled submarine of a subject you will find nowhere else. Don’t like the price tag? I’m sure there are lots of other choices for this particular subject out there. Feel free to head on over and nab one of those. In Dave’s immortal words, “Rotsa Ruck, pal…”

I fully admit I could be wrong, but if I was a fan of Russian subs, unique subs, or just plain beautifully built subs, I’d pay this in a heartbeat.

Bob ( who apparently knows nothing about selling subs after 20 years of doing so)

Comment

• RCSubGuy
        • Aug 2009

Originally posted by Subculture
        Buying is optional.

You can build one for buttons with a degree of skill and patience.
        You said it, Andy.

Comment

• QuarterMaster
          Rear Admiral
          • Sep 2015

Lemme ask you sunshine....How much do you make an hour?

Wait scratch that...don't care....

Let me tell YOU what my consulting fees are if you ever need a Sr. Printed Circuit Board Designer.

Depending on the complexity of the design (300-400 pins per square inch) Layer Count (16-24) Blind and buried via's, High Speed DDR 4+ . 1500 pin BGA's Match length nets etc...(Just giving context)

$120 an hour, that's what MY time is worth. That is what my free time is worth, because as far as I know we have one trip on this dirtball so that's how precious my personal time is. It's the money I'M LOSING because I'm not working, right??

What's yours?

Ok... let's do the math. let's say I want said PIRANHA, correct? I can pay $2300 or...

Design time...10 hours of my research alone $1200

Making Drawings...2D Paper...20hrs, $2400

CAD? 30-40hrs $3600 to $4800

Remember this is what I think my time is worth because I'm playing Submarine, this is potential earned $$ lost cause I CHOOSE to be playing.

Now...I can't factor much else, maybe Dave can estimate the numbers. and we can put actual dollars on this.

Plugs
          Molds
          Engineering
          Build
          Details
          Test

YOU CAN PUT A NUMBERS BECAUSE YOU JUST NEED TO UNDERSTAND WHAT YOUR TIME IS WORTH TO YOU. Mine happens to be that earlier figure.

$10/H?

$20/H?

$40/H?

You get the point.

When YOU market and sell Sub's, you offer it at the price YOU feel YOUR time is worth.

It's all about economics. I'm pointing at ALL of you out there who whine about the prices of this hobby.

How absurd it is of you to cry over the price of a choice of something you want to do!

Go fly RC Helicopters or RC Jet's and see if you get your money's worth, "Sub" Eddie and my grandkids are getting my boats. (Sorry Bob, no estate sale here)

Until such a time, and when you don't think a Ferrari or Mona Lisa's worth it's cost. (I personally don't)

Here's an alternative:

Click image for larger version  Name:	61DcHhfBibS._AC_SL1500_.jpg Views:	0 Size:	75.8 KB ID:	151211

You'll get as much fun running it I bet, but there's not just ONE of them.
          v/r "Sub" Ed

Silent Service "Cold War" Veteran (The good years!)
          NEVER underestimate the power of a Sailor who served aboard a submarine.
          USS ULYSSES S GRANT-USS SHARK-USS NAUTILUS-USS KEY WEST-USS BLUEBACK-USS PATRICK HENRY-K432-U25-SSRN SEAVIEW-PROTEUS-NAUTILUS

Comment

• Schmitty1944
            Lieutenant Commander
            • Mar 2021

I agree with everything that has been said in this thread. Yes. $2300 seems like a lot for a tiny sub at first glance, but when you consider the time and effort it really isn't at all. And yes if you got paid by the hour for the time spent on this (or other) hobbies we would all be rich. I have no problem stepping up and paying for unique models built by talented craftsmen. I just wish that guy had built some WWII stuff.

Jason

Comment

• RCSubGuy
              • Aug 2009

Originally posted by Schmitty1944
              I agree with everything that has been said in this thread. Yes. $2300 seems like a lot for a tiny sub at first glance, but when you consider the time and effort it really isn't at all. And yes if you got paid by the hour for the time spent on this (or other) hobbies we would all be rich. I have no problem stepping up and paying for unique models built by talented craftsmen. I just wish that guy had built some WWII stuff.

Jason
              You and me both. His level of paint and weathering is astounding. He’d have done wonders with an old fleet boat, for sure…

Comment

• RCSubGuy
                • Aug 2009

Ed,

Holy heck, you let loose with all cannons there, my friend. Well said, but I think he was challenging the price on this particular boat rather than subs in general. The Piranha is a tiny boat, but packs all the engineering and features of its bigger brethren. More than that, it’s actually exponentially harder to build, so in theory should be even more expensive.

I like the topic that was brought up, and the points raised. I think it’s an important conversation to have.

Bob

Comment

• rwtdiver
                  Vice Admiral
                  • Feb 2019

Originally posted by QuarterMaster

Lemme ask you sunshine....How much do you make an hour?

Wait scratch that...don't care....

Let me tell YOU what my consulting fees are if you ever need a Sr. Printed Circuit Board Designer.

Depending on the complexity of the design (300-400 pins per square inch) Layer Count (16-24) Blind and buried via's, High Speed DDR 4+ . 1500 pin BGA's Match length nets etc...(Just giving context)

$120 an hour, that's what MY time is worth. That is what my free time is worth, because as far as I know we have one trip on this dirtball so that's how precious my personal time is. It's the money I'M LOSING because I'm not working, right??

What's yours?

Ok... let's do the math. let's say I want said PIRANHA, correct? I can pay $2300 or...

Design time...10 hours of my research alone $1200

Making Drawings...2D Paper...20hrs, $2400

CAD? 30-40hrs $3600 to $4800

Remember this is what I think my time is worth because I'm playing Submarine, this is potential earned $$ lost cause I CHOOSE to be playing.

Now...I can't factor much else, maybe Dave can estimate the numbers. and we can put actual dollars on this.

Plugs
                  Molds
                  Engineering
                  Build
                  Details
                  Test

YOU CAN PUT A NUMBERS BECAUSE YOU JUST NEED TO UNDERSTAND WHAT YOUR TIME IS WORTH TO YOU. Mine happens to be that earlier figure.

$10/H?

$20/H?

$40/H?

You get the point.

When YOU market and sell Sub's, you offer it at the price YOU feel YOUR time is worth.

It's all about economics. I'm pointing at ALL of you out there who whine about the prices of this hobby.

How absurd it is of you to cry over the price of a choice of something you want to do!

Go fly RC Helicopters or RC Jet's and see if you get your money's worth, "Sub" Eddie and my grandkids are getting my boats. (Sorry Bob, no estate sale here)

Until such a time, and when you don't think a Ferrari or Mona Lisa's worth it's cost. (I personally don't)

Here's an alternative:

Click image for larger version Name:	61DcHhfBibS._AC_SL1500_.jpg Views:	0 Size:	75.8 KB ID:	151211

You'll get as much fun running it I bet, but there's not just ONE of them.
                  Right on "SUB" Ed! Keep slugging away! After building up my little fleet, and knowing the kind of time I have in mine (simple)! That $2300.00 PIRANHA is worth every penny of that!

Rob
                  "Firemen can stand the heat"

Comment

• Das Boot
                    Rear Admiral
                    • Dec 2019

I was indeed speaking of that one particular boat. I know how expensive the hobby is, and I don't think Ed wrote that dressing down. That's more Merriman's style. ;)

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
                      • Aug 2008

Originally posted by Das Boot
                      I was indeed speaking of that one particular boat. I know how expensive the hobby is, and I don't think Ed wrote that dressing down. That's more Merriman's style. ;)
                      Damned right! But, as much as I would gladly take credit for that steam-rolling, it was not I who authored that too-hot-to-touch screed.

(But it was good fun to see Ed finally use the sharp knife... I mean, his post was rock-solid, old-school, Roman Colosseum blood-letting -- I loved it!).

The best argument is one substantiated by facts.

David
                      The Horrible
                      Who is John Galt?

Comment

• QuarterMaster
                        Rear Admiral
                        • Sep 2015

All right...all right..it really was me.

It was really intended for EVERYONE who constantly look for the "cheap". You just happened to be in the crosshairs of a shotgun blast. I loathe reading in RCG how everyone states....."Where can I find the cheapest...."

I dig it, you want the most for your hard earned dollar, BUT that doesn't mean the cheapest. It's all about value.

These a RARE boats, I will never find the time to produce, much less draw the BELUGA, which is the one I forked over hard earned coin. I absolutely LOVE that boat. Now I own it! Not many do!! But that's me.
                        All I have left to do is "stuff it", and off I go! To me it's worth 12 or so hours of my free time.

Can I ask this, why is the "Mona Lisa" so expensive? In practical terms you can just probably shred it for use to wipe your tuchus. Yes I am comparing the two because it's the "thought" associated with "value" to the observer.

BUT if you think about it, this hobby IS relatively INEXPENSIVE. Even that PIRANHA to the guy who'll want it.

Don't believe me?

Try 1:1 scale sailboats, my cost of ownership on my last (Pearson 323), was $5.5k USD/year (on a mooring, add $2.5k town dock, and that's cheap!) without even stepping aboard. I was lucky to sail ~12 times per year. SO figure $500-$600USD PER sail. Now if something needed repair.....

I love this hobby, and it is inexpensive. My $500 investment on the USS SHARK (my baby) for example, back in 94?

Fugheddaboutit.
                        v/r "Sub" Ed

Silent Service "Cold War" Veteran (The good years!)
                        NEVER underestimate the power of a Sailor who served aboard a submarine.
                        USS ULYSSES S GRANT-USS SHARK-USS NAUTILUS-USS KEY WEST-USS BLUEBACK-USS PATRICK HENRY-K432-U25-SSRN SEAVIEW-PROTEUS-NAUTILUS

Comment

• trout
                          Admiral
                          • Jul 2011

It is all relative and perspective driven. Owning an airplane is not cheap, my parents owned two. Then down to one after years of moving. Eventually even sold that one. A consumer quad copter can be purchased for $80? Yet a more commercial one or even a specialized one will run thousands of dollars. A sub can be made from jam jars and not cost much at all, but a lot of people want a well built sub for the cost of the jam jar. Who wouldn’t? I am sure Bob buys the subs and marks them up to make a profit, so what? It was his initial investment and risk. He has every right to get a return on his investment. If you like the price, buy it, if not, don’t. I do not have the money to buy the Piranna. I would if I did. Even if I thought it was expensive. It is a unique craft made by a talented man, but that is my perspective.
                          If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• Das Boot
                            Rear Admiral
                            • Dec 2019

Originally posted by QuarterMaster
                            All right...all right..it really was me.

It was really intended for EVERYONE who constantly look for the "cheap". You just happened to be in the crosshairs of a shotgun blast. I loathe reading in RCG how everyone states....."Where can I find the cheapest...."

I dig it, you want the most for your hard earned dollar, BUT that doesn't mean the cheapest. It's all about value.

These a RARE boats, I will never find the time to produce, much less draw the BELUGA, which is the one I forked over hard earned coin. I absolutely LOVE that boat. Now I own it! Not many do!! But that's me.
                            All I have left to do is "stuff it", and off I go! To me it's worth 12 or so hours of my free time.

Can I ask this, why is the "Mona Lisa" so expensive? In practical terms you can just probably shred it for use to wipe your tuchus. Yes I am comparing the two because it's the "thought" associated with "value" to the observer.

BUT if you think about it, this hobby IS relatively INEXPENSIVE. Even that PIRANHA to the guy who'll want it.

Don't believe me?

Try 1:1 scale sailboats, my cost of ownership on my last (Pearson 323), was $5.5k USD/year (on a mooring, add $2.5k town dock, and that's cheap!) without even stepping aboard. I was lucky to sail ~12 times per year. SO figure $500-$600USD PER sail. Now if something needed repair.....

I love this hobby, and it is inexpensive. My $500 investment on the USS SHARK (my baby) for example, back in 94?

Fugheddaboutit.
                            You forget, I posted this:
                            Attached Files

Comment

Working...