Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rwtdiver
    Vice Admiral
    • Feb 2019

Here is a video of my Borei 955 first test drive!

This is a short run of my 3D printed Borei Class Russian Submarine.

Also a still shot of it in the water!

Click image for larger version

Name:	Borei 955.jpg
Views:	238
Size:	52.1 KB
ID:	151245

It's ready for the paint room, and finish work!

Rob
    "Firemen can stand the heat"

Comment

• rwtdiver
      Vice Admiral
      • Feb 2019

The Borei 955 is going to be on the shelf until this hot and humid weather here in Arizona subsides (112) to day with 6o humidity!

Name:	P1000066.jpg
Views:	238
Size:	52.3 KB
ID:	151334

Just to hot to do finish work!

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
        • Aug 2008

Was propulsion adequate?

David
        Who is John Galt?

Comment

• rwtdiver
          Vice Admiral
          • Feb 2019

Originally posted by He Who Shall Not Be Named
          Was propulsion adequate?

David
          David!

It was excellent at 1/3 throttle on the stick! Thank you so much for your help! As soon as weather permits, I will get to work on the final finish!

Comment

• rwtdiver
            Vice Admiral
            • Feb 2019

Well it seems I am going to open my Russian Borei build again! The reason for this is because I may be using this sub as my experimental platform for my new piston ballast tank system!

Name:	Borei piston 1.jpg
Views:	277
Size:	78.9 KB
ID:	154091Click image for larger version

Name:	Borei piston 2.jpg
Views:	237
Size:	76.4 KB
ID:	154092

Name:	Borei piston 3.jpg
Views:	237
Size:	74.4 KB
ID:	154093Click image for larger version

Name:	Drive system 4.jpg
Views:	240
Size:	62.6 KB
ID:	154094

My original plan was to use the piston tank system on my 1:96 scale Russian Alfa boat! Just not enough room for all the components to make this boat operational!

The Borei has enough hull space to accommodate the piston ballast system and all other electronics to make it operational! Not sure if the ballast system with work! But we are going to try it out and see what happens! It may just be another one of my other 10 experimental boats!!!

Rob

Comment

• SubDude
              Captain
              • Dec 2019

Whenever my brothers and sisters or I would screw up my dad would always ask, "Did you learn anything?" It may work great Rob. Either way you will have learned something.
              Last edited by SubDude; 10-06-2021, 05:31 PM.

Comment

• rwtdiver
                Vice Admiral
                • Feb 2019

Originally posted by RCJetDude
                Whenever my brothers and sisters or I would screw up my dad would always ask, "Did you learn anything?" It may work great Rob. Either way you will have learned something.
                I really hear you on that one! Just so happened when I was in training (rookie for sure) to become a Fireman, my Dad just happened to be the Chief of our Dept. at that time. He said to me, it seems like you just have to learn things the hard way! But if you are learning, then that's what counts!

I have only been at this sub building thing for about 2 years now and I have a lot of 3D printed subs under my belt, I think the last count was eight, and no DIVERS!! It just seems everything I do has to be a such a challenge! No body ever said this hobby was going to be easy (especially for an old man!) You are absolutely right Steve, I will have at least learned something!

Thanks Steve!!

Rob

Comment

• rwtdiver
                  Vice Admiral
                  • Feb 2019

My Russian Borei is finished! It will be using one of my custom built cylinders for propulsion!

Click image for larger version  Name:	P4040007.jpg Views:	0 Size:	77.9 KB ID:	154845Click image for larger version  Name:	Borei Finished.jpg Views:	0 Size:	63.2 KB ID:	154846

This is the same cylinder I used on my Redoutable!

Hope you in enjoyed the build blog, and I thank you all for your input!

Rob
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by rwtdiver; 10-22-2021, 06:03 PM.

Comment

• Das Boot
                    Rear Admiral
                    • Dec 2019

Do you work QRP? I noticed the radios.
                    Casey N4GKS
                    Of the 40,000 men who served on German submarines, 30,000 never returned.”

Comment

• rwtdiver
                      Vice Admiral
                      • Feb 2019

Originally posted by Das Boot
                      Do you work QRP? I noticed the radios.
                      Casey N4GKS
                      I am really heavy into building ham radios from kits and scratch building! I build for receiving only! I do not have a ham operators license! I also have a lot of SWR that I built from scratch and kits as well! My antennas for the ham and shortwave radios are located in my attic! I have 2 inverted V systems and one random system which is attached to the roof rafters! They do a great job receiving, I have several ham operators from across the pond that come in really well around 1:00 to 2:00 AM AZ time.

Our home owner association will not allow any type of free standing antennas at all! Its a great hobby and I really enjoy it!

Name:	P1010881.jpg
Views:	206
Size:	60.8 KB
ID:	154871

Rob

Comment

• Das Boot
                        Rear Admiral
                        • Dec 2019

I put up a dipole 5 years ago. I also live in a HOA subdivision. No one ever said a word after someone complained and I told them to take it up with the FCC, which trumps any rules they have. As long as I keep my yard up and such, screw ‘em.

Comment

• rwtdiver
                          Vice Admiral
                          • Feb 2019

I put up a dipole 5 years ago. I also live in a HOA subdivision. No one ever said a word after someone complained and I told them to take it up with the FCC, which trumps any rules they have. As long as I keep my yard up and such, screw ‘em.
                          Oh well, my system is working for me! But it would be nice to have dipole system! None the less it is a great hobby!

Rob

Comment

• Das Boot
                            Rear Admiral
                            • Dec 2019

Name:	E0E10672-BDDC-4CBD-B99D-B42FE4FA9255.jpeg
Views:	184
Size:	62.6 KB
ID:	154903 Put up a dipole for 20/40 meters at night. Take it down when you’re done. Do you work CW? This is my station.
                            Last edited by Das Boot; 10-24-2021, 02:34 PM.

Comment

• rwtdiver
                              Vice Admiral
                              • Feb 2019

Click image for larger version  Name:	E0E10672-BDDC-4CBD-B99D-B42FE4FA9255.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	62.6 KB ID:	154903 Put up a dipole for 20/40 meters at night. Take it down when you’re done. Do you work CW? This is my station.
                              Casey!

What a great looking system! Everything is at hand, and convenient to operate! WOW! I was almost ready to take the Ham operators test, and start buying the equipment when cancer struck!

I lost my hearing and my eyesight on my right side do to the radiation treatment. I do get a tremendous amount of joy just listening to you guys! Mostly at night early AM, and most of the best is at 40 meters! I also enjoy short wave. As for CW! I have forgotten all that I learned from my radio schooling.

The photo shows a small unit (MFJ Multi Reader kit that I built, and on a good night on the 40 band, this little unit will allow me to see the CW in letter form and I can read what they are saying! I use the old Hallicrafter model S-85 for my short was pick up! I really enjoyed building system kits before my health issues! But non the less, I really enjoy what involvement can with what I have at this time!

Thank you for sharing the photo and the great conversation about our other great hobby!

Rob

Comment

• rwtdiver
                                Vice Admiral
                                • Feb 2019

Originally posted by rwtdiver

Casey!

What a great looking system! Everything is at hand, and convenient to operate! WOW! I was almost ready to take the Ham operators test, and start buying the equipment when cancer struck!

I lost my hearing and my eyesight on my right side do to the radiation treatment. I do get a tremendous amount of joy just listening to you guys! Mostly at night early AM, and most of the best is at 40 meters! I also enjoy short wave. As for CW! I have forgotten all that I learned from my radio schooling.

The photo shows a small unit (MFJ Multi Reader kit that I built, and on a good night on the 40 band, this little unit will allow me to see the CW in letter form and I can read what they are saying! I use the old Hallicrafter model S-85 for my short was pick up! I really enjoyed building system kits before my health issues! But non the less, I really enjoy what involvement can with what I have at this time!

Thank you for sharing the photo and the great conversation about our other great hobby!

Rob
                                Casey,

Don't know why my photo did not come through, but here it is again!

Name:	SW Radio.jpg
Views:	220
Size:	76.4 KB
ID:	154943

Might be we got off subject matter, and need to get back to submarines!!??:-))

Rob
                                ""Firemen can stand the heat"

Comment

Working...