X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • trout
    Admiral
    • Jul 2011

Ed,
    A different photo than he posted in post #12?

If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• rwtdiver
      Vice Admiral
      • Feb 2019

Originally posted by trout
      Ed,
      A different photo than he posted in post #12?
      Thanks Tom! I will see how well that works with my Neptune!

Rob
      "Firemen can stand the heat"

Comment

• QuarterMaster
        Rear Admiral
        • Sep 2015

Originally posted by rwtdiver

Right on "Sub" Ed!

Would it be a problem for you to take a photo of the weights and where they are located on your Neptune, and post them up! Thanks Ed!

Rob
        Just saw this...

Will do!

Ed
        v/r "Sub" Ed

Silent Service "Cold War" Veteran (The good years!)
        NEVER underestimate the power of a Sailor who served aboard a submarine.
        USS ULYSSES S GRANT-USS SHARK-USS NAUTILUS-USS KEY WEST-USS BLUEBACK-USS PATRICK HENRY-K432-U25-SSRN SEAVIEW-PROTEUS-NAUTILUS

Comment

• Monahan Steam Models
          Captain
          • Apr 2020

Just dunked mine for the first time. Does this look correct for the Neptune?

Click image for larger version

Name:	7512B43D-2523-4D3D-96C3-20D41561DB66.jpeg
Views:	343
Size:	50.5 KB
ID:	150277

Comment

• trout
            Admiral
            • Jul 2011

So, on mine, the bag is almost completely empty and it sinks. I want a lot of buoyant force if I need it.
            If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• Monahan Steam Models
              Captain
              • Apr 2020

Originally posted by trout
              So, on mine, the bag is almost completely empty and it sinks. I want a lot of buoyant force if I need it.
              Did you mean with the bag is almost completely full it sinks? The photo I took is with a empty bag.

Comment

• Sinksalot
                Commander
                • Mar 2020

Bob took one of the heavy weights off the sub that are on the bottom of the sub. That is why his rides higher out of the water

Comment

• trout
                  Admiral
                  • Jul 2011

Originally posted by Monahan Steam Models

Did you mean with the bag is almost completely full it sinks? The photo I took is with a empty bag.
                  Sorry, yes.

Comment

• Subculture
                    Admiral
                    • Feb 2009

Prop shop do some very nice investment cast props specifically for Kort nozzles. They do an extensive range of other types too.

A large selection of model boat propellers to suit your needs. Scale props and Speed props.

Comment

• Das Boot
                      Rear Admiral
                      • Dec 2019

My local hobby shop owner kept these in stock years ago. He said it took forever to sell what he bought. Now since they quit making them, everyone wants one.
                      Of the 40,000 men who served on German submarines, 30,000 never returned.”

Comment

• Subculture
                        Admiral
                        • Feb 2009

I believe they only sold them RTR in the US. Here in the UK and I think mainland Europe they also sold them as kits, minus the TX/RX, and that saved quite a bit of cash.

The early kits had a lot of gremlins with the electronics, mainly bad quality control- e.g.. dry joints on the ballast tank control board causing intermittent failures. Easy enough to fix for those in the know, but many model submariners get a bit boggled once you start dealing with electronics.

Mechanically tough but they look a bit 'Fisher Price' as standard.

A chap who came along to a couple of my earlier Dive-in events bought one of the first run of kits in the UK and sadly had lots of issues with the electrics. He originally intended to alter the casing to resemble the Nekton submersibles, but I suggested the boats aspect more closely resembled some of the Perry PC boats, I sent him some reference pics, and after a few iterations, with a bit of plastic pipe and some plastic extrusions he came up with the pictured craft. Much nicer I think. It's gone through a couple more owners since then, as he got brassed off with the flaky electrics.

Name:	rov 017 (Medium).jpg
Views:	391
Size:	78.5 KB
ID:	150321

Comment

• QuarterMaster
                          Rear Admiral
                          • Sep 2015

Originally posted by rwtdiver

Right on "Sub" Ed!

Would it be a problem for you to take a photo of the weights and where they are located on your Neptune, and post them up! Thanks Ed!

Rob
                          Sorry it took so long, WAY to many irons in the fire!

FORWARD (Bow) is to the left.

Name:	PXL_20210530_220653769.jpg
Views:	282
Size:	63.9 KB
ID:	150323
                          v/r "Sub" Ed

Silent Service "Cold War" Veteran (The good years!)
                          NEVER underestimate the power of a Sailor who served aboard a submarine.
                          USS ULYSSES S GRANT-USS SHARK-USS NAUTILUS-USS KEY WEST-USS BLUEBACK-USS PATRICK HENRY-K432-U25-SSRN SEAVIEW-PROTEUS-NAUTILUS

Comment

• rwtdiver
                            Vice Admiral
                            • Feb 2019

Originally posted by QuarterMaster

Sorry it took so long, WAY to many irons in the fire!

FORWARD (Bow) is to the left.

Name:	PXL_20210530_220653769.jpg
Views:	282
Size:	63.9 KB
ID:	150323
                            Ed,

Thank you very much for the great photo of your Neptune ballast weights! This will help give me a starting point to work from, and most likely it will be the same as yours!

Thanks again Ed, for taking the time to do the photo for me!

Rob

Comment

• Monahan Steam Models
                              Captain
                              • Apr 2020

I second that, thank you Ed for sharing this photo. Hoping to get the Neptune into the water soon but I have the same problem lately, too many irons in the fire!

Comment

• Sinksalot
                                Commander
                                • Mar 2020

I had a problem with the Ballast controller that came with Neptune. It wasn't working, so I took it off and looked at it closely. I saw one of the solder points had no solder, it must have dropped off. So I solder the pin back on and remelted all the solder on the other spots to make sure the rest were on good. I retried the ballast controller again, this time it worked perfectly. I also replace the 40mhz receiver with a new micro 6 channel 75mhz receiver and I replace the old ESC with a SUB10 ESC.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0833a.jpg Views:	0 Size:	64.0 KB ID:	150342

Name:	image_47409.jpg
Views:	284
Size:	53.2 KB
ID:	150340
                                Attached Files
                                Last edited by Sinksalot; 06-01-2021, 12:28 AM.

Comment

Working...