X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Monahan Steam Models
    Captain
    • Apr 2020

A blinky thing

Had a free second today so I made a simple circuit and wrote the code for it. Points if you know the language and know what it says. It’s a little fast so pay attention. I sure you ol salty dogs will recognize it right away.

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
    • Aug 2008

S.O.S. (yikes!)
    Who is John Galt?

Comment

• roedj
      Captain
      • Sep 2008

SOS - not just salty dogs but also amateur radio operators (Hams) for over 60 years like me.

Captain Code
      Born in Detroit - where the weak are killed and eaten.

Comment

• trout
        Admiral
        • Jul 2011

SOS - just watched too many old movies.
        If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• QuarterMaster
          Rear Admiral
          • Sep 2015

Now use this code and you have something useful....

void setup() {
          // Use pin 11 on BEETLE
          pinMode(11, OUTPUT);
          }
          void loop() {
          digitalWrite(11, HIGH);
          delay(600);
          digitalWrite(11, LOW);
          delay(600);
          digitalWrite(11, HIGH);
          delay(600);
          digitalWrite(11, LOW);
          delay(600);
          digitalWrite(11, HIGH);
          delay(600);
          digitalWrite(11, LOW);
          delay(3000);
          }

Know what it is...specifically?
          v/r "Sub" Ed

Silent Service "Cold War" Veteran (The good years!)
          NEVER underestimate the power of a Sailor who served aboard a submarine.
          USS ULYSSES S GRANT-USS SHARK-USS NAUTILUS-USS KEY WEST-USS BLUEBACK-USS PATRICK HENRY-K432-U25-SSRN SEAVIEW-PROTEUS-NAUTILUS

Comment

• Bob Gato
            Captain
            • Feb 2019

It really says don't walk thru the airport security with that in your carry on! I love it-BG
            Last edited by Bob Gato; 01-22-2021, 10:34 AM.

Comment

• Monahan Steam Models
              Captain
              • Apr 2020

Dang you guys are good and fast!

Ed,

Haven’t plugged in that code yet, but it looks like 3 flashes and a pause before repeating. Okay you have me stumped. What does it mean?

Nick

Comment

• QuarterMaster
                Rear Admiral
                • Sep 2015

Nick.

International Regulations for Prevention of Collisions at Sea, 1972 (72COLREGS) and U.S. Inland Navigation Rules

—INTERNATIONAL— General
                PART A—GENERAL

‡ Submarines may display, as a distinctive means of identification, an intermittent flashing amber (yellow) beacon with a sequence of one flash per second for three (3) seconds followed by a three (3) second off-period (32 CFR 707.7). Other special rules made by the Secretary of the Navy with respect to additional station and signal lights are found in Part 706 of Title 32, Code of Federal Regulations (32 CFR 706).

Though not quite what you would think as a normal “item” to share, those of you who do wish to incorporate a Submarine Identification light in your RC Submarine, the code shown will allow you to do it.

I used an Arduino Beetle

A 5V Power Supply, say from the RX, just watch your total Power Budget, and a yellow/amber appropriately sized LED, and you're in business.

Here it is working, please excuse Panda...
                Navigation Light: US Submarine ID Beacon-Arduino Beetle DFR0282

I can't tell you how many times I dragged this, the Masthead Light, 3 peice Windshield, flying bridge stanchions, from U/L OPs Compartment, up 20 ft of bridge access trunk and rig when we surfaced. I was 17/18 y/o full of **** n' vinegar. I was about 140 soaking wet and all that probably weighed twice as much as me. Jr. QM job.

BUT, I was first to crack the hatch, and first on the bridge. Loved it.

Yeah, know that light intimately.

Last edited by QuarterMaster; 01-23-2021, 07:16 PM.
                v/r "Sub" Ed

Silent Service "Cold War" Veteran (The good years!)
                NEVER underestimate the power of a Sailor who served aboard a submarine.
                USS ULYSSES S GRANT-USS SHARK-USS NAUTILUS-USS KEY WEST-USS BLUEBACK-USS PATRICK HENRY-K432-U25-SSRN SEAVIEW-PROTEUS-NAUTILUS

Comment

• Monahan Steam Models
                  Captain
                  • Apr 2020

Ed,

Got it. Makes perfect sense now!

You had me stumped there. I was focusing on the light being red and kept returning to marker buoys or aircraft alt hazard markers.

Yup that code you posted is definitely useful for subs. The beetle is a great board to use too. Very nice!

Reading your intimate first hand experience in real life with this marker light, I can clearly see why you wouldn’t hesitate to add it to your build. For being 17/18 at the time, first through the hatch and on the bridge, I’d say you had your stuff figured out at that time!

Thanks for sharing. Just learned a few good things about code, hardware, real world application and what job to aim for on a boat.

Comment

• Bob Gato
                    Captain
                    • Feb 2019

I like the Idea of tapping into the failsafe command to move a servo during LOS and start a countdown-maybe 300000ms-to then move another servo (in my current build-Atlantis Sub) to pull away a magnet and release a tethered rescue buoy-This would work in parallel to the standard 15 second gas failsafe. Then have it all reset upon reconnection of link. I don't see the code being all that complex but probably fairly long.
                    Last edited by Bob Gato; 01-24-2021, 12:20 PM.

Comment

• Aug 2008

Originally posted by Bob Gato
                      I like the Idea of tapping into the failsafe command to move a servo during LOS and start a countdown-maybe 300000ms-to then move another servo (in my current build-Atlantis Sub) to pull away a magnet and release a tethered rescue buoy-This would work in parallel to the standard 15 second gas failsafe. Then have it all reset upon reconnection of link. I don't see the code being all that complex but probably fairly long.
                      Whenever I hear 'tethered buoy' I think, fouled propeller.

David
                      Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Bob Gato
                        Captain
                        • Feb 2019

David, good point but you can only foul the propeller if its turning...besides this buoy is a scale feature, why not use it as a working last ditch effort for retrieval?

Click image for larger version  Name:	Rescue Buoy.jpg Views:	0 Size:	35.7 KB ID:	147065
                        Last edited by Bob Gato; 01-24-2021, 06:32 PM.

Comment

• Aug 2008

David, you can only foul the propeller if its turning...besides this buoy is a scale feature, why not use it as a working last ditch effort for retrieval?

Click image for larger version

Name:	Rescue Buoy.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	35.7 KB
ID:	147065
                          Because it will deploy when you don't want it to. When the propeller is indeed turning. A thing intended to save a submarines sinks a submarine.

Possible failure scenario:

You're underway at PD. You're an idiot who trimmed the boat negative; and you put the power bus fuse in the wrong spot. No stand-alone BEC. The reel unlocks without command from the fail-safe circuit; the buoy trails aft, pulling out more and more down-haul cable which eventually finds its way into the propeller disc; the stalled motor pops the ESC; everything on the battery and 5-volt bus goes dark.

Game over. You call Diver's R' Us. Empty boat stand. Bad ju-ju.

Just about any other type fail-safe mechanism does not share this failure event-tree. Only place I want to see a reel of down-haul cable and a buoy is on a real boat (which America stopped doing in the 70's).

David
                          Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Bob Gato
                            Captain
                            • Feb 2019

Ok-then we'll use the arduino to key up a loop of The SpongeBob theme on waterproof speakers and just epoxy the buoy to the deck for looks..

Comment

• Aug 2008

Ok-then we'll use the arduino to key up a loop of The SpongeBob theme on waterproof speakers and just epoxy the buoy to the deck for looks..
                              LOL. Perfect tune for the salvage Diver to home in on.

David
                              Who is John Galt?

Comment

Working...