X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Monahan Steam Models
    Captain
    • Apr 2020

Originally posted by Bob Gato
    I like the Idea of tapping into the failsafe command to move a servo during LOS and start a countdown-maybe 300000ms-to then move another servo (in my current build-Atlantis Sub) to pull away a magnet and release a tethered rescue buoy-This would work in parallel to the standard 15 second gas failsafe. Then have it all reset upon reconnection of link. I don't see the code being all that complex but probably fairly long.
    The code for that would be fairly short if those were the only functions required for the Arduino. In this case it could be a stand alone mini Arduino like what ED uses for the beacon. With a separate dedicated power source such as a miniature LiPo. The boards do not draw very much power. You would just need it to sense a LOS for a predetermined time before carrying out the commands you programmed it to do.

After which time it could release the buoy, trigger the gas back up and play the theme from SpongeBob SquarePants

Comment

• Bob Gato
      Captain
      • Feb 2019

I would imagine that the LOS detection could come from one of those modules Bob sells to activate a backup gas failsafe. At which point if the gas system fails to bring the sub up, processor starts to count-300000ms and then outputs a PWM signal to a servo that will release the buoy (unless of course signal is re-established. In that case counting stops and awaits a new LOS)

Comment

• Monahan Steam Models
        Captain
        • Apr 2020

The raw materials, and hardware components for both the mechanical and electronic bits have been trickling in over the past week to start the scratch build of a twin piston experimental (for me) WTC that is operated by a receiver and partially by Arduino through various sensors and code.

Spent most of the day staring a the computer screen writing a wall of code and testing input signals of the various sensors that have shown up already. Used the Arduino today to map out and record the PWM signals of the receiver’s channels from the radio I plan to use to the control and automate functions some of the functions of the WTC.

I will start a new post on this experimental build when the time comes that I’ve gathered enough useful info to pass on.

Until then this should keep me busy while quarantining. Yup we were exposed to this junk. It was me through work last Monday. Been working through this whole thing being as careful as possible. I’m in the essential worker group. Gotta hole up for the next few weeks. Got our first tests back today and they were negative but my better half has been feeling pretty bad. Me, I’ve been feeling a bit off. Gonna give it another week in quarantine before testing again and getting back to work.

The good news, there’s parts to play with, stuff to make and knowledge to be learned! (the hard way) This makes me happy

Comment

• Monahan Steam Models
          Captain
          • Apr 2020

Originally posted by Bob Gato
          I would imagine that the LOS detection could come from one of those modules Bob sells to activate a backup gas failsafe. At which point if the gas system fails to bring the sub up, processor starts to count-300000ms and then outputs a PWM signal to a servo that will release the buoy (unless of course signal is re-established. In that case counting stops and awaits a new LOS)
          You could use one of those modules or just sense the signal completely separately

Comment

• Bob Gato
            Captain
            • Feb 2019

Of course Nick, you're right- my head was in the coconut trees...I am still waiting on our new condo to get its final and CO. I have been living in a extended stay Hilton (for the past 90 days). My whole shop and boats are in storage. So here I sit with just a marginal internet connection and think of stuff that I'd like to try when I get my toys back. Can't wait to see what you've got planned...I'm sure it will open a few eyes! -BG

Comment

• Monahan Steam Models
              Captain
              • Apr 2020

BG,

You raise some good points in your post on RCG’s forum about ideal shaped ballast tanks. (Yes I follow the submarine group there but don’t dare log in since 2010 because I feel it would open the flood gates with messages and requests from the steam engine boat group I was a key player in for many years. I only have so much time in the day to do what I need to do and respond to questions.) Lesson learned, don’t make your passion your business. Took many years to bounce back from that.

Now I’m doing what I like and sharing the learning without any obligation.

This I like.

So to get back to your point made on RCG’s about ideal ballast tanks, I feel, two piston tanks or bladders will solve your shifting ballast dilemma as they keep the the ballast confined space within your design.

Comment

• Bob Gato
                Captain
                • Feb 2019

100%, Nick-with regard to business and hobby (I don't know how Bob M. does it!) and also 100% on twin piston and bladder ballast-I was aiming at simplifying and figured if a change of shape in a gas blow open bottom or SAS pump tank would some what mitigate that migration of water in unusual attitudes when partially filled.

Comment

• QuarterMaster
                  Rear Admiral
                  • Sep 2015

Originally posted by He Who Shall Not Be Named

Whenever I hear 'tethered buoy' I think, fouled propeller.

David
                  ...word.

Comes to mind with the so often talked about "24Ghz 'trailing antenna"

NOT with the crowd Bob and I run with!!Click image for larger version  Name:	2019-08-11 10.30.11.jpg Views:	0 Size:	102.7 KB ID:	147111
                  v/r "Sub" Ed

Silent Service "Cold War" Veteran (The good years!)
                  NEVER underestimate the power of a Sailor who served aboard a submarine.
                  USS ULYSSES S GRANT-USS SHARK-USS NAUTILUS-USS KEY WEST-USS BLUEBACK-USS PATRICK HENRY-K432-U25-SSRN SEAVIEW-PROTEUS-NAUTILUS

Comment

Working...