Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Subculture
    Admiral
    • Feb 2009

3d printing is just a tool. it's regarded as another technique in manufacturing that 'compliments' existing methods rather than usurping them.

With regards to meetings and engaging with other competent modellers, I can't really comment for the USA, it's a huge country compared to my own, and although we speak a common language, I think we're very different culturally. What i did some years back was to get something going at a local level and then it slowly built it up over three or four years to something pretty decent. Sadly one or two pillocks old and ugly enough to know better decided to make themselves a pain in the arse, so i took a break and let things ride for a while. Subsequently one or two came forward and organised events in their locales, and there are now three or four events organised through the year.

I think the most important thing is to know who is out there, engage with them by asking them what they'd like to do, propose something and see where it leads. It may run to a dead end, or it may lead to something meaningful, or something in between that needs a few years to grow.

Comment

• TuptubBuilder
      Lieutenant, Junior Grade
      • Sep 2020

What is the future of r/c subs? I think the biggest issue is the radio itself. What about conceding to the inevitable and adapt and embrace the 2.4 GHz band. Maybe utilizing today’s open source microprocessors and design a semi-autonomous control scheme with periodic surfacing for command updates? I envy the Europeans who don’t have this issue with their 40 MHz radios. I for one am just trying to make a modest investment of time and money to see if I really like this hobby. I will never be a member of the “Elite” but would be happy being a contributing enthusiast.

Comment

• Subculture
        Admiral
        • Feb 2009

Radio is a small issue, but not much IMO. The marine hobby has been in decline since the 1980's. Model subs were always niche, but the hobby has aged- most model submariners are drawing their pensions now. I'm not ageist in the least, but it does change the dynamic quite a bit.

Twenty to thirty years ago, they were thirty and forty somethings, still relatively young men. It was evident back then however that were very few teenagers or twenty somethings were participating in the hobby.

If you wind back earlier in this thread I outline where I think the issues are, it isn't the gear that's the problem.

Comment

• cheapsub
          Lieutenant Commander
          • Dec 2019

Agree with Subculture.

This is a get your hands dirty hobby. Used to be RC airplane in the old days, Rc boat too. Now just have a deep pockets, have any thing ship to your house. My opinion only.
          Bob managed to find new old stock radio system.

I think I got the synthesized Novak module working with a ER9X transmitter, $50 transmitter + $50 module add elbow grease get you self a nice over kill 27, 75 MHz FM transmitter.
          I even get JR ,GWS receiver to works. But Running low on dual conversion crystal, still some in evil bay.
          most fly boys will think I am crazy.

I another thing people always mix up with RC scale model submarine with ROV. And Goes wireless in open sea. This drive me up the wall.
          Last edited by cheapsub; 06-02-2021, 01:27 PM.

Comment

• Sinksalot
            Commander
            • Mar 2020

Originally posted by Subculture
            Radio is a small issue, but not much IMO. The marine hobby has been in decline since the 1980's. Model subs were always niche, but the hobby has aged- most model submariners are drawing their pensions now. I'm not ageist in the least, but it does change the dynamic quite a bit.

Twenty to thirty years ago, they were thirty and forty somethings, still relatively young men. It was evident back then however that were very few teenagers or twenty somethings were participating in the hobby.

If you wind back earlier in this thread I outline where I think the issues are, it isn't the gear that's the problem.
            People always find a way to get sub used or new radios, Over the last year I wanted a new radio and I looked around the world and got myself a new 75mhz radio. However once other people saw my new set, I had people email and msg me if I could get them a them a new 9 and 8 channel 75mhz sets. I was able to get 40 new 75mhz sets together. Before anyone asks, 39 out of 40 are gone. I will not be getting more do to the cost of the radios, modules, receivers and shipping from all the different countrys. Also because finding new real 75mhz stuff is hard as hell.

So just look around, not just in the US.
            Last edited by Sinksalot; 06-02-2021, 02:38 PM.

Comment

• TuptubBuilder
              Lieutenant, Junior Grade
              • Sep 2020

I have two 4 ch Futaba 27 MHz transmitters and three receivers. I have used an Arduino Uno as a "man-in-the-middle" to provide features like fail safe and low battery. I don't mind a challenge but it's just one more distraction. Scrounging for antique radio sets doesn't fit with my sense of forward thinking. This conversation is forcing me to reassess my expectations. Maybe I don't fit in.

Comment

• Sinksalot
                Commander
                • Mar 2020

Everybody can have fun with RC subs. You don't have to fit in, everyone does stuff differently. Some people build subs, some people buy built subs. Any radio the works for a sub from 3 channel to 12 channels, old to new is fine. Whats most important is your desire and what you think your sub should be and look like. From a master sub builder to a person just starting. All subs builds are great because you have a dream to build something that will make you happy.

Comment

• TuptubBuilder
                  Lieutenant, Junior Grade
                  • Sep 2020

Thank you, that was very well said.

Comment

• trout
                    Admiral
                    • Jul 2011

Originally posted by TuptubBuilder
                    Maybe I don't fit in.
                    Oh, you fit in fine. I can say this because I am very much a loaner and do not fit in well, but in this hobby I have found some real friends and acceptance.
                    I am glad you are here.
                    If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

Working...