Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and expectations

Hello, and welcome to the forums at the Nautilus Drydocks, formerly Sub-driver.com!

We welcome anyone with a passion for submarines and a desire to learn and share knowledge about this fascinating hobby. Use of these forums indicates your intention to abide by our code of conduct:


1. No spam. All automated messages, advertisements, and links to competitor websites will be deleted immediately.

2. Please post in relevant sub-forums only. Messages posted in the wrong topic area will be removed and placed in the correct sub-forum by moderators.

3. Respect other users. No flaming or abusing fellow forum members. Users who continue to post inflammatory, abusive comments will be deleted from the forum after or without a warning.

4. No threats or harassment of other users will be tolerated. Any instance of threatening or harassing behavior is grounds for deletion from the forums.

5. No profanity or pornography is allowed. Posts containing adult material will be deleted.

6. No re-posting of copyrighted materials or other illegal content is allowed. Any posts containing illegal content or copyrighted materials will be deleted.
See more
See less

How woul d you make the smallest SD that is reasonably possible?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Get seated, here we go.

    Click image for larger version

Name:	P7280498.JPG
Views:	77
Size:	55.5 KB
ID:	139485

    View to the stern, E motor inside, with a small transmission to get connection to the lower shaft.

    Click image for larger version

Name:	P7280499.JPG
Views:	71
Size:	58.8 KB
ID:	139486

    View to the bow, that aluminum frame is part of the seal, used only rtv to get the seal, those two holes are for screws, so you squize those frames together.

    Click image for larger version

Name:	P7280505.JPG
Views:	72
Size:	58.3 KB
ID:	139487

    Here you can see the split at the stern, a ESC made from a standard servo control print, 6 channel micro receiver and the two micro servo's for running the diveplanes and rudder.

    Click image for larger version

Name:	P7290513.JPG
Views:	72
Size:	61.6 KB
ID:	139489

    The servo's mounted inside their tray, ESC and receiver underneath, this was done as a trail for testing.

    Click image for larger version

Name:	P7290512.JPG
Views:	73
Size:	60.4 KB
ID:	139488

    Charging happens at the nose of the torps, which both hold the batteries, switching the boat on happens by using a reedswitch and a small magnet.

    Those two bibers i have are the creation of my mentor, they are scale 1:35, i was only the one to get them back to live, and learned a lot about small boats during this process.

    Click image for larger version

Name:	P6190055.JPG
Views:	75
Size:	48.4 KB
ID:	139490

    Those are the components used inside the Marder, took them from a small toy boat.

    Click image for larger version

Name:	P7100016.JPG
Views:	74
Size:	47.5 KB
ID:	139491

    Click image for larger version

Name:	P7100017.JPG
Views:	72
Size:	48.0 KB
ID:	139492

    Turned both ends on the lathe, added enough rtv to seal them off, those motors are cheap enough to replace them when needed.

    Click image for larger version

Name:	P6260086.JPG
Views:	73
Size:	49.0 KB
ID:	139493
    By unscrewing the detonaters a can charge the boat, both points are secured by a diode, so you can only charge in one direction.

    Click image for larger version

Name:	P8010117.JPG
Views:	70
Size:	59.3 KB
ID:	139494

    Stranded at a beach in Italy, a boat fun to drive, only remark is the range, that toy transmitter allows me about 3 meters of range at the surface.

    Manfred.

    Fertig zum unterwasser.

    Comment


    • #17
      It's not a product that I stock, carry or currently offer. If Dave wants to put one together, I'm happy to sell you one, but the demand for these is nil. Nothing. Nada. Most people are too smart to try to to build micro subs.

      Dave's priority are the SubDrivers for the larger boats. These "special projects" take back burner and can fill extra time.

      As I said, if Dave thinks he has the time and has the inclination, I'm happy to hook you up, but if not, you'd better get real good at following Dave's superb photo documentation and start building one of your own...


      Bob

      Comment


      • #18
        Originally posted by SubHuman View Post
        It's not a product that I stock, carry or currently offer. If Dave wants to put one together, I'm happy to sell you one, but the demand for these is nil. Nothing. Nada. Most people are too smart to try to to build micro subs.

        Dave's priority are the SubDrivers for the larger boats. These "special projects" take back burner and can fill extra time.

        As I said, if Dave thinks he has the time and has the inclination, I'm happy to hook you up, but if not, you'd better get real good at following Dave's superb photo documentation and start building one of your own...


        Bob
        Yeah!

        What he said.

        Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2453.JPG
Views:	57
Size:	66.1 KB
ID:	139654Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2455.JPG
Views:	49
Size:	66.1 KB
ID:	139655Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2440.JPG
Views:	50
Size:	64.3 KB
ID:	139656Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2427.JPG
Views:	51
Size:	68.8 KB
ID:	139657

        David
        "... well, that takes care of Jorgenson's theory!"

        Comment


        • #19
          You guys are awesome. Thanks for posting so much great info, etc. I will be getting my Skipjack seaworthy as my introduction to rc submarines, and when I have some experience under my belt a micro sub is calling to me. However, so is a Nautilus and a Lotus S1 James Bond submarine (I'll follow that forum thread closely...). You guys will be first to know when I am ready to attempt the mirco sub feat. I hope you both will help out!

          Comment


          • #20
            Originally posted by ben1272 View Post
            You guys are awesome. Thanks for posting so much great info, etc. I will be getting my Skipjack seaworthy as my introduction to rc submarines, and when I have some experience under my belt a micro sub is calling to me. However, so is a Nautilus and a Lotus S1 James Bond submarine (I'll follow that forum thread closely...). You guys will be first to know when I am ready to attempt the mirco sub feat. I hope you both will help out!
            Indeed we will, Ben. Welcome aboard.

            David
            The Horrible
            "... well, that takes care of Jorgenson's theory!"

            Comment


            • #21
              Originally posted by He Who Shall Not Be Named View Post

              Indeed we will, Ben. Welcome aboard.

              David
              The Horrible
              Mr. David,

              You know, I have been working this forum and your blogs for quite sometime now, and I see a man driven! I do hope you are taking a little time and relaxing a bit! I realize your work and this hobby are a great big part of your life, but sometimes it's good to stop and relax! (I know EXACTLY what you are going to say and I see the arrows coming already and I am flinching)

              Take care of yourself David, we all need you!! Enough said by me!

              Rob

              "Firemen can stand the heat"

              Comment


              • #22
                Originally posted by rwtdiver View Post

                Mr. David,

                You know, I have been working this forum and your blogs for quite sometime now, and I see a man driven! I do hope you are taking a little time and relaxing a bit! I realize your work and this hobby are a great big part of your life, but sometimes it's good to stop and relax! (I know EXACTLY what you are going to say and I see the arrows coming already and I am flinching)

                Take care of yourself David, we all need you!! Enough said by me!

                Rob

                "Firemen can stand the heat"
                LOL. I'll hold fire till you find suitable shelter.

                If one is not driven, he will be driven over.

                My only regret is that I don't have the time to build models -- this MSD thing has taken almost all my waking hours. But, as they say: make hay while the sun shines. I'll have time to play again in the not too distant future, Rob, as that product is past development and Beta-testing and I'm now producing additional tools to streamline production. Hopefully I'll be back on a more sane schedule soon and will once again be able to make the local pools and lakes safe for Democracy!

                David

                "... well, that takes care of Jorgenson's theory!"

                Comment


                • #23
                  OK David!

                  But be assured we all here will hold you to it! LOL.

                  Thank you for all you do for us as group, and for what you for the hobby!

                  Rob

                  "Firemen can stand the heat"

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Originally posted by rwtdiver View Post
                    OK David!

                    But be assured we all here will hold you to it! LOL.

                    Thank you for all you do for us as group, and for what you for the hobby!

                    Rob

                    "Firemen can stand the heat"
                    Very nice to hear. But, know this, Rob... and the rest of you Bum's:

                    Yes, I'm the fair-haired Golden-Boy of the moment.

                    In every field of endeavor there are bright, shining lights from which spout endless streams of knowledge and wisdom. I'll wear that crown, no sweat. But also recognize this recognition is only a moment in time, the baton is eventually passed on.

                    Before me, there were others -- they passed on their good works to me -- and after me there will be other 'keepers of the flame'. And, hopefully, the cycle will not only continue, it will grow.

                    We all stand on the shoulders of those who came before us.

                    (a moment of sanity: America is the back-water of what has been achieved in the game of r/c model submarining. That makes me the big fish in a very small pond. You want super-stars? I give you Norbert Bruggen, Ron Perrott, Manfred Reusing, and many others. The Europeans are bat-****-crazy-good at this stuff).

                    David
                    Last edited by He Who Shall Not Be Named; 05-22-2020, 06:30 PM.
                    "... well, that takes care of Jorgenson's theory!"

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Well Dave, you are my Norbert Bruggen. (or which ever of the others you like best). I've been reading about your stuff for years. Not so much the other guys.

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        Originally posted by ben1272 View Post
                        Well Dave, you are my Norbert Bruggen. (or which ever of the others you like best). I've been reading about your stuff for years. Not so much the other guys.
                        The world, even in this 'modern' age -- its people -- are so parochial by nature; we tend not to look over the top of the nearest hill to see how the other guy is doing things. There is so much to learn, from so many, varied people out there.

                        Tribalism has its place (nationalism: my flag, right or wrong, damnit!). But acquisition of knowledge should not be hindered by borders (just ask the Chinese, they've made knowledge acquisition a ****ing science!).

                        David
                        "... well, that takes care of Jorgenson's theory!"

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          David, you got yourself a Merrifan on your tail.

                          Manfred.
                          Fertig zum unterwasser.

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            Originally posted by MFR1964 View Post
                            David, you got yourself a Merrifan on your tail.

                            Manfred.
                            My magnificence is a magnet to the masses.

                            David
                            Poet And Don't Know It
                            "... well, that takes care of Jorgenson's theory!"

                            Comment

                            Working...
                            X