X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MakeHobbyRC
    Lieutenant, Junior Grade
    • Dec 2019

Plexiglass front window on RC Submarine

Hi, I have posted some videos on how I have made my DIY RC Submarine, made on rehab materiel, PVC tubes, Plexiglass... This is how I made the front transparent window, since I wanted the possibility of putting a camera GOPro in the front to film under water...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRmVAxEAeOQ
  • MakeHobbyRC
    Lieutenant, Junior Grade
    • Dec 2019

Anybody interested in making his own DIY rc submarine?

Comment

• redboat219
      Admiral
      • Dec 2008

Originally posted by MakeHobbyRC
      Isn't that the reason why we are here?
      Make it simple, make strong, make it work!

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
        • Aug 2008

Originally posted by redboat219

Isn't that the reason why we are here?
        You beat me to it, Redboat.

Duh!

David
        Who is John Galt?

Comment

• QuarterMaster
          Rear Admiral
          • Sep 2015

Who are you and why are you breathing Dave's air??
          v/r "Sub" Ed

Silent Service "Cold War" Veteran (The good years!)
          NEVER underestimate the power of a Sailor who served aboard a submarine.
          USS ULYSSES S GRANT-USS SHARK-USS NAUTILUS-USS KEY WEST-USS BLUEBACK-USS PATRICK HENRY-K432-U25-SSRN SEAVIEW-PROTEUS-NAUTILUS

Comment

• Rick Teskey
            Lieutenant Commander
            • Jan 2009

Admiral Nelson?

Comment

• QuarterMaster
              Rear Admiral
              • Sep 2015

....all previous kidding aside, I can see your possible confusion...unless you've been living in a cave then I welcome you out. (sorry, just had to say it, can't help myself).

A lost of discussions here (and other forums) IMNSHO do center around SubDrivers and other kit type/manufactured "watertight compartments" and sometimes all I can recall seeing on any particular day (other the well known moderators who makes hundreds of DIY, but for other people lol) is "what recommended Subdriver for this type hull", but of course quite a few of us design and build our own dreams without one.

Typically new comers who have no experience of what they're dealing with will start there, and as experience grows and they want to stick with it will try their hand at DIY building. That's also not to say some very experienced modelers had built their first "most excellent" RC Submarines using plastic jars with lids, and no mentor to lead them (Hi Bob Gaito!!)

I myself, depending on the boat scale, have used SubDrivers and home brew methods and like both depending on the application scale, but that's me. Plenty posted here on BOTH homegrown and commercial RC Sub's.

My question then to you is: Why do YOU ask that particular question?
              v/r "Sub" Ed

USS ULYSSES S GRANT-USS SHARK-USS NAUTILUS-USS KEY WEST-USS BLUEBACK-USS PATRICK HENRY-K432-U25-SSRN SEAVIEW-PROTEUS-NAUTILUS

Comment

• type7
                Lieutenant Commander
                • Apr 2009

The screws are probably unneeded here. Silicon caulk is a pretty strong bond by itself and tightening the screws run the risk of cracking the plexiglas and can cause a leak path by themselves.

Comment

• Bob Gato
                  Captain
                  • Feb 2019

Or lose the window all together-the GoPro is good to between 5 and 10 meters(depending on the model) submerged with no WP case help...just strap it on.
                  Last edited by Bob Gato; 03-05-2020, 02:45 PM.

Comment

• RCSubGuy
                    Welcome to my underwater realm!
                    • Aug 2009

Yeah! What Bob said!

Comment

• MakeHobbyRC
                      Lieutenant, Junior Grade
                      • Dec 2019

Originally posted by QuarterMaster

....all previous kidding aside, I can see your possible confusion...unless you've been living in a cave then I welcome you out. (sorry, just had to say it, can't help myself).

A lost of discussions here (and other forums) IMNSHO do center around SubDrivers and other kit type/manufactured "watertight compartments" and sometimes all I can recall seeing on any particular day (other the well known moderators who makes hundreds of DIY, but for other people lol) is "what recommended Subdriver for this type hull", but of course quite a few of us design and build our own dreams without one.

Typically new comers who have no experience of what they're dealing with will start there, and as experience grows and they want to stick with it will try their hand at DIY building. That's also not to say some very experienced modelers had built their first "most excellent" RC Submarines using plastic jars with lids, and no mentor to lead them (Hi Bob Gaito!!)

I myself, depending on the boat scale, have used SubDrivers and home brew methods and like both depending on the application scale, but that's me. Plenty posted here on BOTH homegrown and commercial RC Sub's.

My question then to you is: Why do YOU ask that particular question?
                      just to start a conversation I guess... And it worked ;)

Comment

• MakeHobbyRC
                        Lieutenant, Junior Grade
                        • Dec 2019

Originally posted by type7
                        The screws are probably unneeded here. Silicon caulk is a pretty strong bond by itself and tightening the screws run the risk of cracking the plexiglas and can cause a leak path by themselves.
                        probably with good mastic (aquarium glass mastic is very strong...) would have worked... I added mastic in the holes before screwing the nuts and bolts. and it is water proof...

Comment

• MakeHobbyRC
                          Lieutenant, Junior Grade
                          • Dec 2019

I have just received my coaxial cable to make the antenna in a float... I will stat studying this option slowly now... keep you posted...

Comment

• QuarterMaster
                            Rear Admiral
                            • Sep 2015

just to start a conversation I guess... And it worked ;)
                            Click image for larger version

Name:	Gorilla.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	10.3 KB
ID:	137113
                            v/r "Sub" Ed

Comment

Working...