X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • secrtwpn
    Lieutenant Commander
    • Feb 2012

Electrical issues

Recently, my Blueback ran well at our latest lake outing. However, I had an electrical issue towards the end of the day. So, when I got home, I tried some trouble shooting. When I turned everything on, the ESC would not come up. My system has the Mtroniks Viper Marine 10 ESC and a Sombra SL8 receiver.

I switched out radios, programmed the SL8 to it, same thing.

I switched out receivers (one I bought from SubTech, now I believe carried by Nautilus models). The radio is a Vex 6 channel. Same thing, but now everything works intermittently. I do not as yet have a BEC connected. When I wiggle the connections to the receiver, the ESC works for a moment, then shuts down. When I had the Subdriver open, I cleaned up my solder connections on the motor and bought a tool to crimp the bullet connectors.

Batteries are fully charged

Could my ESC be kaput?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!!

Farlan

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
    • Aug 2008

Originally posted by secrtwpn
    Recently, my Blueback ran well at our latest lake outing. However, I had an electrical issue towards the end of the day. So, when I got home, I tried some trouble shooting. When I turned everything on, the ESC would not come up. My system has the Mtroniks Viper Marine 10 ESC and a Sombra SL8 receiver.

I switched out radios, programmed the SL8 to it, same thing.

I switched out receivers (one I bought from SubTech, now I believe carried by Nautilus models). The radio is a Vex 6 channel. Same thing, but now everything works intermittently. I do not as yet have a BEC connected. When I wiggle the connections to the receiver, the ESC works for a moment, then shuts down. When I had the Subdriver open, I cleaned up my solder connections on the motor and bought a tool to crimp the bullet connectors.

Batteries are fully charged

Could my ESC be kaput?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!!

Farlan
    So, the receiver bus (as currently configured) is getting all power from the ESC's BEC? That's likely your problem. That BEC is only good for 1.5-2A's which won't hold the load with all servos and other devices working. Put a dedicated BEC in there -- something rated for at lease 3A -- and all will be right with the world again.

David
    Who is John Galt?

Comment

• secrtwpn
      Lieutenant Commander
      • Feb 2012

I will give it a try! Thanks!

Comment

• QuarterMaster
        Rear Admiral
        • Sep 2015

I will give it a try! Thanks!
        Please provide feedback on success as well.
        v/r "Sub" Ed

Silent Service "Cold War" Veteran (The good years!)
        NEVER underestimate the power of a Sailor who served aboard a submarine.
        USS ULYSSES S GRANT-USS SHARK-USS NAUTILUS-USS KEY WEST-USS BLUEBACK-USS PATRICK HENRY-K432-U25-SSRN SEAVIEW-PROTEUS-NAUTILUS

Comment

• trout
          Admiral
          • Jul 2011

Bob made a suggestion (on another forum) to use a separate battery pack to power the RX (and disengage the ESC BEC power). I think that is a brilliant suggestion to eliminate BEC or wiring issue. Farlan, keep us in the loop on what you try!
          If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• secrtwpn
            Lieutenant Commander
            • Feb 2012

I will. I'm waiting on a BEC....

Comment

• secrtwpn
              Lieutenant Commander
              • Feb 2012

So, I finally got my BEC's. Plural because I am saving one for a future project. I soldered it up and hooked it up......No issues with the ESC. And as Merriman said, "all will be right with the world again" As well as can be expected today......

Comment

• Aug 2008

So, I finally got my BEC's. Plural because I am saving one for a future project. I soldered it up and hooked it up......No issues with the ESC. And as Merriman said, "all will be right with the world again" As well as can be expected today......
                So …. the system is working OK?

David
                Who is John Galt?

Comment

• secrtwpn
                  Lieutenant Commander
                  • Feb 2012

Yes it is!!!!!!!!!!!! Thx

Comment

• Aug 2008

Yes it is!!!!!!!!!!!! Thx
                    Excellent. And good planning getting that extra BEC for a future project. Never trust a ESC's BEC!

David
                    Who is John Galt?

Comment

Working...