X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rwtdiver
    Vice Admiral
    • Feb 2019

Thank you Bob!

I was able to get a little more preliminary work done on the WTC unit. Lining up the servo connecting rods along with servo mount and the motor mount. Designed the receiver and ant. compartment.

Click image for larger version

Name:	P2170001.jpg
Views:	629
Size:	69.4 KB
ID:	136774Click image for larger version

Name:	P2170002.jpg
Views:	647
Size:	68.7 KB
ID:	136775

It's all comming together, but still have a lot more to do!

Rob T.

Comment

• rwtdiver
      Vice Admiral
      • Feb 2019

Here is the completed receiver and antenna fabricated and installed to the base plate. I still need to fit the battery pack and install the ESC (electronic speed control) to the base.

Name:	P2170001.jpg
Views:	558
Size:	49.4 KB
ID:	136792Click image for larger version

Name:	P2170004.jpg
Views:	666
Size:	58.6 KB
ID:	136793

Now it's time to get started on the wiring!

Rob T.

Comment

• rwtdiver
        Vice Admiral
        • Feb 2019

I just feel like I need to make a general statement as to my "sub surface runner" project! These two build are specifically designed to be used on the surface, and NOT for diving applications!! I am building both
        these two boats to gain knowledge into the boat building, WTC construction, (I use the water tight loosely) and for setting up control surfaces and electronics.

I am new at submarines totally, but I do have a great deal of knowledge in RC aircraft building of all sorts, and the electronics involved as well as 3D printing, so I can say I have a little head start!

For those of you that are new to sub building make sure you check out Nautilus Drydocks, and LEARN from what Bob Martin has to say about the subject of sub building. Also pay clse attention to what all these guys on this forum have to say (Dave M.) and all the others. I hope to learn a ton more!

Rob T.

Special note: I have tested my water tight compartment to 6" underwater. It held OK! The end caps on my WTC where 3D printed from PLA. and you will need to seal them. I used a thin resin coat. Surface runner at deck awash will be fine. "I WOULD NOT PUT THIS WTC UNDER WATER AT ANY CONSIDERABLE DEPTH" or stand the risk at loosing all your electronics. My last word on the subject, Purchase a quality designed and build WTC from Bob Martin at Nautilus Drydocks. I purchased a 3" WTC from him for my Skipjack and it is a quality WTC.

Name:	P4070006.jpg
Views:	614
Size:	67.6 KB
ID:	136845
        Last edited by rwtdiver; 02-20-2020, 05:39 PM. Reason: Adding additional information.

Comment

• rwtdiver
          Vice Admiral
          • Feb 2019

I am just getting started on the wiring, and the first thing that I wanted to do was to move the on/off switch from the ESC to the endcap on the outside of the cylinder. I fabricated a small container with a screw cap and a rubber seal. The container was secured to the endcap. I then bored a 1/4" hole through the container and the endcap so the wires from the on/off switch could protrude into the cylinder and be re-soldered to the ESC.

Name:	P2220003.jpg
Views:	533
Size:	62.3 KB
ID:	136867Click image for larger version

Name:	P2220005.jpg
Views:	531
Size:	62.3 KB
ID:	136868Click image for larger version

Name:	P2220006.jpg
Views:	526
Size:	56.6 KB
ID:	136869

This switch enclosure will make turning the system on & off much easier because I won't have to pull the endcap every time I want to shut it down!
          SPECIAL NOTE: It is a good practice to ALWAYS pull the endcap from the cylinder after each use to make sure if you did have a little water leakage that it could dry out, In fact I would make sure you left the endcap off when your boat is in storage. Also it is not wise to charge any battery inside a sealed cylinder. If you do not pull your battery, then make sure you at least pull the endcap before you charge up your battery!

Rob T.

Comment

• RCSubGuy
            Welcome to my underwater realm!
            • Aug 2009

Rob, this is a quality thread. I love your attention to detail and thoughtful design. One thing you might want to consider during this early stage of your build is to actuate all of your control surfaces, even if you just lock the fairwater and aft planes in place for now. In that way, you can eventually replace the cylinder with a full diving unit once you get comfortable with things. As David mentioned, it's not a terribly large amount of work to get the boat diving once you get the core functions addressed.

Comment

• trout
              Admiral
              • Jul 2011

I agree with Bob and David. Put all the hardware needed in so that your control surfaces work. You are that close to having a working submarine or to use a Get Smart quote "Missed it by that much". I read your reasons not to and get your point, but you have already done some of the hardest parts in getting a sub to run underwater. Anyways, love what you are doing and it is looking great!
              If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• rwtdiver
                Vice Admiral
                • Feb 2019

Hi Bob & Tom,
                Thank you very much for the compliments! I do hear what you are saying, and it really does make sense to set these subs up for possible static diving in the future. Thank you both and David for the really good information and advice. I really have a long ways to go, and lots to learn before I could ever build my own WTC for static diving. Another thought I had was to scale up the size of the Astute to accept a 3.5" WTC, which I purchase from Bob Martin that is going to be used on my Skipjack build. Bob felt it would work, but the ballast system was questionable and the Astute might run somewhat low in the water when on the surface. (would not look scale) Looks to me like I better start saving up for a 3" WTC!:-))

The Skipjack and the 3.5" WTC are a long ways down the road. I did exactly what Bob Martin said not to do! As he has always said! "START AT THE BOTTOOM" I do have one thing going for me! I love to build Submarines and I really love this hobby!!:-))

I do have a question: I used Dumas 1/8" shaft and stuffing tubes on my these two subs. The stuffing tubes are designed so that you can lubricate the interior of the tubes. I have two types of possible lubricants that I could use for this purpose!

Name:	P2260003.jpg
Views:	499
Size:	61.5 KB
ID:	136917

I do use the Magic Lube II for my gaskets on the cylinder end caps. In your opinion would any of these two be a good lubricate to use? or better yet, what would you suggest?
                Thank you guys, I do appreciate all your help and expertise.

Sorry for all my rattling! I need to get back to building!!

Thank you,
                Rob T.

Comment

• trout
                  Admiral
                  • Jul 2011

A stuffing box or tube is great on a boat, but not so much for a diving sub. So, since this is a surface runner or boat, i do not know if it makes a difference. On a sub we use seals that are lubed with silicon or similar product. Water pressure will make the seal better. where a stuffing box would slowly have the grease pushed into the cylinder.
                  If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• rwtdiver
                    Vice Admiral
                    • Feb 2019

WOW! Not sure what I did above!!?? Sorry! Still learning how to use this blog as well! I will check back in!

Rob T.

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
                      • Aug 2008

You were poorly served -- the Dumas kit was a stupid design. For the same amount of money, Dumas could have produced a more rational WTC; something that would have side-stepped all the problems their kit presents the unwary customer. A total pile of ****.

And there have been other r/c submarine kits produced for the 'beginner' that suffered from poor engineering of the watertight spaces. Skip Asay's sink-o-matic (my term) WTC, provided with his ALBACORE and MARLIN kits, stands as a stunning example of how going cheap with the WTC structure (two equatorially split vacuformed cylinder halves) doomed otherwise well engineered r/c model submarine kits into marginal performers.

Your most assuredly on the right track with your work as presented to date. But, trash that stuffing tube and get your mind and hands used to proper watertight sealing methods -- you'll need that knowledge down the road. Welcome to the world of wet!

David
                      Who is John Galt?

Comment

• rwtdiver
                        Vice Admiral
                        • Feb 2019

Thanks David!

Thank you for all your encouragement and advice! I feel honored to have you, Tom, Bob, and Bob Martin in my world! (If that sounds a little over bearing) it was meant to! I really honestly appreciate all your advice, constructive criticism, and help! You guys are the Scale Masters of Submarines! I have seen your works! I can only hope (in what's left of my life) to achieve 1/2 half the your knowledge and abilities!

My basic plan is to finish up the two boats in progress and start on the Krick Type VII B, and then build the Moebius USS Skipjack and install the 3.5" WTC that I already have..

Name:	www.agesofsail.com-KR20315-34.jpg
Views:	559
Size:	11.0 KB
ID:	136924Click image for larger version

Name:	P8230010.jpg
Views:	498
Size:	47.9 KB
ID:	136925

Name:	P4070006.jpg
Views:	482
Size:	67.6 KB
ID:	136926

Really looking forward to MY ultimate Submarine build, and that will be the Skipjack at this point! (With a maybe a few more in between):-)) I really love this hobby!!!

Thanks again for all the input and help!

Rob T.

Comment

• Aug 2008

Do the SKIPJACK next! It's a snap to assemble, trim out, and operate. It'll be the most fun you ever had with your clothes on!

David
                          Who is John Galt?

Comment

• rwtdiver
                            Vice Admiral
                            • Feb 2019

Well! My 3D Printed WTC has met it's demise! So at this point I am ending the project with the Astute and the Redoutable using 3D Printed parts (mainly the end caps) Using the Dumas stuffing boxes was NOT the best way to go, but the end caps themselves where the main problem. The fitting tolerances was very critical, and I was unable to make the mating fit required between the caps and the cylinder even with the rubber seals.

Also I printed these caps using PLA at 100% infill. I knew I would have a problem with water seeping through the PLA, so I was hoping I could seal the caps with a seal coating (2 coats) Well! It did not work!

Like I said, I have a lot to learn! At this point I am going to back off of this project. I am going to take David's advice and put a proper 3" WTC in these boats, and build them to do what they are supposed to do! "DIVE" At this point I will be saving up the funds to purchase a 3" WTC (most likely built by David) from Nautilus Drydocks...

Do not give up on me, I have a few other projects up my sleeve that you may or may not agree with, but they will help me to understand what makes these boats function as they are supposed and help build my knowledge base as I proceed UP this submarine building ladder. Stay tuned...

Thank you,
                            Rob

Comment

• rwtdiver
                              Vice Admiral
                              • Feb 2019

Sorry!! Screwed up the photos again!!!

Rob

OK! I just figured out how to make sure my photos come out right!! Right hand side "Up load attachments box" I am learning!
                              Last edited by rwtdiver; 02-28-2020, 04:24 AM.

Comment

• Aug 2008

Originally posted by rwtdiver
                                Well! My 3D Printed WTC has met it's demise! So at this point I am ending the project with the Astute and the Redoutable using 3D Printed parts (mainly the end caps) Using the Dumas stuffing boxes was NOT the best way to go, but the end caps themselves where the main problem. The fitting tolerances was very critical, and I was unable to make the mating fit required between the caps and the cylinder even with the rubber seals.

Also I printed these caps using PLA at 100% infill. I knew I would have a problem with water seeping through the PLA, so I was hoping I could seal the caps with a seal coating (2 coats) Well! It did not work!

Like I said, I have a lot to learn! At this point I am going to back off of this project. I am going to take David's advice and put a proper 3" WTC in these boats, and build them to do what they are supposed to do! "DIVE" At this point I will be saving up the funds to purchase a 3" WTC (most likely built by David) from Nautilus Drydocks...

Do not give up on me, I have a few other projects up my sleeve that you may or may not agree with, but they will help me to understand what makes these boats function as they are supposed and help build my knowledge base as I proceed UP this submarine building ladder. Stay tuned...

Thank you,
                                Rob
                                Don't give up on you??? … don't give up on you!!

No way anyone here is giving up on you.

You have no idea what a rare bird you are, pal. You innovate, you evaluate, and (most rare of all) you share with us the dump-ass moves you make and define what when wrong. You teach us. You are one of the rare ones who moves the ball forward in this game. And you're an old fart -- we wrinkle-bags gotta stick together.

I've got some 2.5" SD's of the old design sitting here collecting dust. I don't think Bob will mind if I send you one. Send me your mailing address. dmeriman@aol.com

David
                                Who is John Galt?

Comment

Working...