X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • secrtwpn
    Lieutenant Commander
    • Feb 2012

Blueback trimming

After several weeks of gnashing of teeth and threatening to shove it down the garbage disposal, I believe I have reached trim I am happy with ! Thanks to Dave and Bob for the pointers in the past! Click image for larger version

Name:	0124201747.jpg
Views:	380
Size:	28.6 KB
ID:	136315Click image for larger version

Name:	0124201759.jpg
Views:	351
Size:	37.7 KB
ID:	136316
  • He Who Shall Not Be Named
    • Aug 2008

Huurrah! Once you get to play in open water, it will all be worth it. Keep us informed.

David
    Who is John Galt?

Comment

• secrtwpn
      Lieutenant Commander
      • Feb 2012

Next lake day is Feb 8......

Comment

• secrtwpn
        Lieutenant Commander
        • Feb 2012

Here are pics of her underway.... Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4812.JPG
Views:	288
Size:	73.3 KB
ID:	136628 Thx!

Farlan CluttersClick image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4814.JPG
Views:	295
Size:	77.6 KB
ID:	136627
        Attached Files

Comment

• trout
          Admiral
          • Jul 2011

I am bummed I was not able to e there to see you run. Looks like you have it dialed in, how did it run?
          If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• secrtwpn
            Lieutenant Commander
            • Feb 2012

She ran well. But I had transmitter issues. Don't know if it's the tx battery or the receiver. My receiver is a Sombra SL 8. Does this stuff ever stop???????!!!!!!!!

Comment

• Aug 2008

Originally posted by secrtwpn
              She ran well. But I had transmitter issues. Don't know if it's the tx battery or the receiver. My receiver is a Sombra SL 8. Does this stuff ever stop???????!!!!!!!!
              No! (in the shouting voice of Bruce Willis) "Welcome to the party, pal!"

David
              Who is John Galt?

Comment

• secrtwpn
                Lieutenant Commander
                • Feb 2012

Im going to try a different radio and then change out the receiver........

Comment

• Aug 2008

Im going to try a different radio and then change out the receiver........
                  Wrong! First rule of trouble-shooting is to change only one condition at a time, and only the most likely cause of the trouble. Test, evaluate, and if fault remains make a second condition change. Repeat. Stir well. Do not take with alcohol.

You do two changes at a time you won't know which of the two was sour and the other good -- you learn NOTHING! Occam's Razor suggests addressing the most obvious fault first. I recommend you pick on the transmitter first. If it ain't the transmitter, only then **** around with the receiver.

David
                  Not My First Rodeo
                  Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Subculture
                    Admiral
                    • Feb 2009

Might be either of those- could be a power supply issue. What BEC are you using?

I once had an intermittent fault on a sub, that was a so and so to isolate, it would randomly affect the ballast control, turned out toe a duff signal wire on the ESC that controlled the ballast pump, and the fault was inside the esc's board, so it was I spy with my little x-ray eye.
                    Last edited by Subculture; 02-11-2020, 05:24 PM.

Comment

• secrtwpn
                      Lieutenant Commander
                      • Feb 2012

BEC???????? UHHHHHHHHHHHH dunno. Using an Mtronics speed control............Well, when it stops working, the only thing I have operating is the auto depth thingamajig (ADF 2). I recharged the TX battery and ran it down to almost zero. I then turned on the sub and it was OK for a few minutes, then it went dead. The TX battery then read 60%. So I dunno. I'm gonna try another transmitter. Never had this before............

Comment

• Aug 2008

BEC???????? UHHHHHHHHHHHH dunno. Using an Mtronics speed control............Well, when it stops working, the only thing I have operating is the auto depth thingamajig (ADF 2). I recharged the TX battery and ran it down to almost zero. I then turned on the sub and it was OK for a few minutes, then it went dead. The TX battery then read 60%. So I dunno. I'm gonna try another transmitter. Never had this before............
                        It's an angle-keeper (working the stern planes if you have it hooked up right). It's hooked up to a servo, so that's drawing current too. Even when operating the two devices will draw considerably less than an Ampere, and the receiver is drawing current as well -- maybe 500mA's. Regardless, the three devices are pulling current well below the rating of the MTroniks BEC. So it's not likely a BEC issue.

That said, the other servos and devices will up the current draw off the receiver bus, and that may tax the BEC to the point if skittish operation. Bottom line, get a dedicated BEC in there rated for at least 3 Amperes.

Get a fresh battery in that transmitter, bang it up and test. Transmitter circuitry is usually rock solid -- it's almost always the battery that lets you down.

You might consider taking the red wire out of the lead between ESC and receiver and plugging in a receiver battery. If things work fine after that then you have a bum MTroniks BEC.

David
                        Who is John Galt?

Comment

• secrtwpn
                          Lieutenant Commander
                          • Feb 2012

Thanks for the info. How is the BEC connected?

Comment

• Aug 2008

Thanks for the info. How is the BEC connected?
                            Your receiver has many unused input ports (it's an 8-channel unit, right?). The BEC input wires go to the battery, and the BEC's output plugs into one of the unused ports which puts the BEC's five-volt supply to the entire receiver bus. Remove the red lead from the ESC's receiver lead so you isolate that devices weak-ass BEC -- you don't want it screwing with the dedicated BEC's operation.
                            Last edited by He Who Shall Not Be Named; 02-12-2020, 10:24 PM.
                            Who is John Galt?

Comment

• secrtwpn
                              Lieutenant Commander
                              • Feb 2012

Thank you sir!

Comment

Working...