Anyone have experience with Graupner Brushless motors?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Stephen Vick
    Lieutenant
    • Nov 2018

Anyone have experience with Graupner Brushless motors?

I've recently ordered a pair of Graupner Speed 500 brushless motors (Christmas sale couldn't pass on it) Supposedly they are high torque low RPM . I intend to install them in a Robbe Type VII. I will be using a Robbe F 14 twin stick for dual control, Anyone have experience with these? Can Anyone recommend an ESC? Thanks in advance!
  • RCSubGuy
    Welcome to my underwater realm!
    • Aug 2009

I'm carrying the new MTroniks reversible (true reversible, mind) ESC's for brushless motors. They're not cheap, but they're beautiful units. $79 each with 30A capacity. I'll be creating the product page in the next couple of days.

Comment

• Stephen Vick
      Lieutenant
      • Nov 2018

That looks like what I need. Its the reversible (true reversible) bit that has been the sticky wicket.

Comment

• gantu
        Commander
        • Apr 2009

Hi for the robbe type VII is this motor very good https://engel-modellbau.eu/shop/en/E...or-400-kV.html
        and this esc is Programmable https://hobbyking.com/de_de/turnigy-...2-6s-opto.html
        Discover the benefits of BLHeli_32 ESC firmware, including faster processing power, future functionality, and improved flight performance. Learn more now.

Gantu
        Regards Gantu

Comment

• Bob Gato
          Captain
          • Feb 2019

OK I'll give... what is true reversible? Rotation? as opposed to switching the wires? Programmable- punch, brake, rotation, % reverse,timing?
          Last edited by Bob Gato; 12-12-2019, 09:03 PM.

Comment

• gantu
            Commander
            • Apr 2009

Regards Gantu

Comment

• gantu
              Commander
              • Apr 2009

Learn how to connect and flash BLHeli_32 ESCs with our step-by-step guide. Download software, configure settings, and update firmware for optimal performance.
              Regards Gantu

Comment

• Stephen Vick
                Lieutenant
                • Nov 2018

Originally posted by Bob Gato
                OK I'll give... what is true reversible? Rotation? as opposed to switching the wires? Programmable- punch, brake, rotation, % reverse,timing?
                Good question; what I have found is that most Brushless speed controls have a "Braking" function which serves as reverse. This setup gives only partial reverse power or reverse for only a short time. I read True reverse as full power for as long as one needs it. As a former ship driver, I like to have full function on twin screws, to execute twist maneuvers etc... finding the esc that gives me that has been difficult.

Comment

• gantu
                  Commander
                  • Apr 2009

Hello i do use this esc´s and there do fully reverse and forward continuous so had never problems.
                  Regards Gantu

Comment

• Bob Gato
                    Captain
                    • Feb 2019

Any ESC worth it's salt would be programmable-with at least reverse(at various percentages) and braking that can be programmed to "no Brake" also punch (start force), rotation, timing, and Low Voltage Cutoff threshold for Lipos. Neutral range, Overtemp shutdown, reverse polarity protection and short circuit protection would also be nice.
                    Last edited by Bob Gato; 12-13-2019, 04:11 PM.

Comment

• Stephen Vick
                      Lieutenant
                      • Nov 2018

Indeed you are correct. I have loads of experience using brushed motors and esc. Not so much with brushless, except a wee bit of mucking about with airplanes. I think I have narrowed the search for esc . The next question is; are the graupner motors low speed enough? or will I need a gear or belt drive reduction? I thought perhaps I would give them a go direct drive and see how it goes. They advertise them as low RPM , high torque. However, I've never seen a brushless motor that wasn't insanely fast... Its all new territory for me.

Comment

• Bob Gato
                        Captain
                        • Feb 2019

Stephen, The web site doesn't say what KV they are only that they are high torque/low RPM...I'm sure you'll be fine..If you get a read on the KV rating, multiply that number by the voltage you are using and that will give you the unloaded max RPM. Subtract 20% for inefficiencys and that should be the max RPM your prop will turn at...
                        Are you going to run twin motors or split the output?...if twins, I should say (you probably know this) you can't run two brushless motors off one ESC-must have two.
                        Last edited by Bob Gato; 12-13-2019, 06:38 PM.

Comment

• Stephen Vick
                          Lieutenant
                          • Nov 2018

I’m running twin with 2 ESC. I have a Robbe F14 with twin stick standing by.

Comment

• trout
                            Admiral
                            • Jul 2011

I am just messing with brushless right now.
                            I bought these
                            All about R/C hobby, model submarines and boats, RC systems, accessories, batteries and other useful hobby gadgets. Fast shipping.

others use it at the pond I run at so, I am trying it out.
                            If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• Bob Gato
                              Captain
                              • Feb 2019

So Stephen, sounds like you are going to independently control each motor. I don't know how much distance between props and how long the boat is but chances are that differential thrust isn't going to do much for you. Consider running a wye lead to both ESCs from one channel and use the other channel for something else...

Comment

Working...