Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • He Who Shall Not Be Named
    • Aug 2008

Originally posted by Scott T
    Why not put the safety float valve in the ballast tank area.that would make more room in the maneuvering compartment.
    I could have, Scott, but it seemed more rational to maintain the principle SAS devices tied together in one package, as a unit.

And the unit may soon have another item attached to it: a solenoid valve actuated by a water detector, replacing the problematic mechanical snorkel head-valve.

Nice to see you pop your head above the Oz-land inferno smoke. How's it going over there in the land-down-under? Nature's barbeque.

David
    Who is John Galt?

Comment

• trout
      Admiral
      • Jul 2011

Scott T lives in the USA, Scott from down under has been quiet for a while, I pray he is O.K.
      If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• Davidh
        Captain
        • Nov 2010

When Koala’s approach fire fighters on the ground and drink from water bottles, it’s desperate. Approximately 11million hectares or about the size of Denmark. Remember, Straya
        is, (without Alaska) the size of the US..

David H.

Comment

• Scott T
          Commander
          • May 2009

Thanks Trout for directing traffic. I don't wish to claim talent that belongs to someone else.

Comment

• Aug 2008

Originally posted by Scott T
            Thanks Trout for directing traffic. I don't wish to claim talent that belongs to someone else.
            My apologies, Scott T. The brain is the second thing to go, as they say.

And thanks for putting me straight, Tom.

David
            Who is John Galt?

Comment

• HardRock
              Vice Admiral
              • Mar 2013

Originally posted by trout
              Scott T lives in the USA, Scott from down under has been quiet for a while, I pray he is O.K.
              Still here, just. The Carrowan fire went right by us last Saturday night and then ran on for over 25 Km in a single five hour period. If the wind has been a few degrees to the westward we would have been toast - literally.

Appologies for the radio scilence; been wrestling with some health issues which now seem to be resolving. Gotta love modern medicine.

Comment

• Aug 2008

Originally posted by HardRock

Still here, just. The Carrowan fire went right by us last Saturday night and then ran on for over 25 Km in a single five hour period. If the wind has been a few degrees to the westward we would have been toast - literally.

Appologies for the radio scilence; been wrestling with some health issues which now seem to be resolving. Gotta love modern medicine.
                Interesting times, Scott. Welcome back to the, World.

David
                Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Davidh
                  Captain
                  • Nov 2010

Hi Scott,

Good to hear from you. We had the Charmhaven fire come witihin a Km of us. They called in the heavies. Thor and a couple of Herks doused retardant. Otherwise I hope Nowra is good to you.

Take care.

Dave H

Comment

• trout
                    Admiral
                    • Jul 2011

Scott! glad you are doing O.K. and the health thing was not life threatening. Stay well and safe.
                    If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• Aug 2008

Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Scott T
                        Commander
                        • May 2009

So you are cramming a lot of stuff in there. Here is an idea to move the dry space safety valve and free up some space in the wtc dry space.
                        Since your talking larger servos for larger boats that may mean larger sail area. So the idea
                        is to use your safety valve design for the vent valve also placed side by side in the control tower. (of course it will be made of lighter material than Copper)

The vent valve and safety valve use a common base and rubber stopper lids (removable) Maybe PEX plumbing pipe for valve housing cylinders.
                        The vent valve has two floats tied together with fishing filament or wire rod. Why because it uses the same parts as the safety valve. (maybe belt and suspenders B&S)
                        Thought the gray line or smaller tube could be used as we are trying to move air.
                        Plugging the air tubes into O-rings like the new plumbing fittings use now. (two O-rings b&S) This idea causes one extra tube entry point.
                        Not sure if this change in setup causes potential air water problems.

Scott T

Click image for larger version

Name:	vent-sfty vlv.jpg
Views:	329
Size:	90.8 KB
ID:	136082

Comment

• bwi 971
                          Captain
                          • Jan 2015

Originally posted by He Who Shall Not Be Named

Before the mid-day break for my hideous nap I got this much done converting a 2.5"-to-2.5" pre-production union casting into a 2.5"-to-3" union. I turned a new RenShape radial flange for the step-up required, using the core of a ballast tank half of a 2.5" union for the innards of this pre-production master.

Anyway, here's how far I got this morning:

Later I'll produce a step-up union for a larger, 3.75" cylinder.

David
                          Using the first master as an insert for a lager one.....you are brilliant David.
                          Grtz,
                          bart
                          Practical wisdom is only to be learned in the school of experience.
                          "Samuel Smiles"

Comment

• bwi 971
                            Captain
                            • Jan 2015

Originally posted by He Who Shall Not Be Named
                            Old and new r/c submarine operating systems on display here. Each type embodies the means of control, propulsion, and ballast water management needed to make a scale model submarine work in a credible and reliable manner.

The system on top is the old, single cylinder type SubDriver (SD). The two bulkheads that divided the cylinder into three spaces are fixed in place with machine screws -- screw holes that sometimes resulted in cracks that would migrate over the seals causing water leaks into the dry spaces. And this type SD compelled me to select one diameter size cylinder for the entire length of the SD, this often not the ideal utilization of annular space between it and the interior of the model submarines hull. And the single cylinder system had just too many hoses and manifolds sitting proud of the cylinder, all potential points of failure.

Many of the SD shortcomings have been eliminated with the next step up the evolutionary ladder: the Modular SubDriver (MSD), seen at the bottom of the picture.

No mechanical fasteners to hold bulkheads in place. Instead, only O-ring friction holds three separate lengths of Lexan cylinder in place -- this innovation making access for repair, maintenance, and adjustment a much easier task. As an added benefit the MSD’s ballast water management sub-system has been consolidated into a tight, accessible package, eliminating most of the external plumbing which plagued the original SubDriver design.

I turn my back for a few months.....and what do you do.......brushless and direct drive.....what is wrong with you sir.

I like it.....the external battery pack great idea (no need to enlarge the crossover tube anymore).

Strange.......still hate you after all those months.

Grtz,
                            bart

Practical wisdom is only to be learned in the school of experience.
                            "Samuel Smiles"

Comment

• trout
                              Admiral
                              • Jul 2011

Originally posted by bwi 971

Strange.......still hate you after all those months.
                              It's easy to do, isn't it? Especially when he daily flaunts his skills in front of us (who are just struggling to get a nice smooth finish on our subs).
                              I think we should start our own forum called We Who Hate Him and we can show off why we are not worthy.
                              Peace,
                              Tom

Comment

• Aug 2008

Originally posted by trout

It's easy to do, isn't it? Especially when he daily flaunts his skills in front of us (who are just struggling to get a nice smooth finish on our subs).
                                I think we should start our own forum called We Who Hate Him and we can show off why we are not worthy.
                                Peace,
                                Tom
                                Well …. just **** the whole bunch of ya then!
                                Who is John Galt?

Comment

Working...