X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • QuarterMaster
    Rear Admiral
    • Sep 2015

Groton Fun-Run 2019 ****Itinerary****

Now that last call for the run has been announced, here’s the general plan…..

This is by no means cast in stone, but it's what the bulk of us will be doing. Addresses provided for GPS units.

***Friday***
    1300-1500(1-3PM): Meet and Greet at the Submarine Force Library & Museum, 1 Crystal Lake Rd, Groton, CT 06340
    1500-1800 (3-6PM): Find your hotel to check in and relax
    1800 (6PM): Group Dinner at the Groton Townhouse Restaurant, 355 CT-12, Groton, CT 06340, we’ll reserve the large room.

***Saturday***
    Not sure of the Base access times, but I believe these are “official”. I know Dave likes to get there early, at least on Saturday. If they let you in before, mazel tov!
    1000-2200 (10AM to 10PM): Sub Run w/night run.

Recommend you bring your own food/refreshments. I believe they still have one or two BBQ Grills available for use, but if that's what you like, bring a portable just in case they're not there. A cooler with sandwiches, hoagies, grinders, subs, hero's, wedges, bombers, whatever the frak you call 'em locally is a good idea. The idea is to MAXIMIZE run time at the base, it's why we're here.

***Sunday***
    0800-1000: (8-10 AM) Group Breakfast at the Groton Townhouse Restaurant, 355 CT-12, Groton, CT 06340 we’ll reserve the large room.
    1000-Closing (10AM to Closing) Sub Run
    Again, bring your own food/refreshments, and again the idea is to MAXIMIZE run time at the base, it's why we're here.

For those of you with significant others (Admirals) tagging along that may not wish to sit around all day while you drive and dive:

15 Minutes east on I95
    Mystic Seaport Museum: 926P+37 Mystic, Stonington, CT
    Olde Mistick Village 27 Coogan Blvd, Mystic, CT 06355
    Both good places for the Admirals to toss away Franklin's.

10 Minutes north on Rt 12
    Mohegan Sun: 1 Mohegan Sun Blvd, Uncasville, CT 06382
    I will be heading here after Saturday evenings fun run. It’s a good place for a cigar, expensive drinks, and allows me to toss away Franklin’s at something other than Bob Martin. You’re welcome to tag along and help me play fat “James Bond” at the tables.

ROE:

1-Manners: First and foremost, we are guest’s on an active US Military Base, we wish to continue to be guest’s for many years to come. ACT ACCORDINGLY. Please don’t wander off to the pretty black nuclear Submarines on lower base to get aboard or take photographs, mommy ain’t here to bail you out of the brig, and we certainly won’t. There will be active duty members asking you about this unique hobby, so do what you do best, and it will impress them. You’ll learn a lot with what they’ll be allowed to share as well, and we’ll be invited back with smiles as well. Let’s show them how we’re the BEST supporters of the “Silent Service”. Speaking of photos, let’s be respectful to our host’s and limit it to our activities on the North Lake. Leave the FPV drones at home.

2-Usage Fee: We actually rent the use of the lake for the two days from MWR. Joe Oliver will be collecting a small, one time fee if you’re running any number of operating vessel’s (sub/surface). So if you run one vessel on 1 day, or twenty vessel’s on both days, it’s the same small fee. Of course it’s an honor system, and since Joe already paid it out of his own pocket, we’ll honor it. Be gracious and see him on Friday or Saturday morning, IOW don’t give him a need to ask you. FWIW, for those of you interested, any overage is donated back to the MWR for our sailors.

3-Frequency use: We usually don’t have a frequency board w/Channel Clips, so for those of you on 75Mhz, please police yourself with regard to using your TX. Ask other Capn’s if the Channel you want is available.

4-Clean up: When you leave, leave no trace.
    v/r "Sub" Ed

Silent Service "Cold War" Veteran (The good years!)
    NEVER underestimate the power of a Sailor who served aboard a submarine.
    USS ULYSSES S GRANT-USS SHARK-USS NAUTILUS-USS KEY WEST-USS BLUEBACK-USS PATRICK HENRY-K432-U25-SSRN SEAVIEW-PROTEUS-NAUTILUS
  • SSN687
    Lieutenant Commander
    • Nov 2015

8 August 2019

10 AM to 10 PM is a long time to run boat and radio batteries. I have extra batteries for both but like to charge the used set while using the other set just in case something happens to the operating set.
    Do you know if there is any power outlets available at the cover shelter or close by, to be able recharge batteries as needed?
    Thanks
    Ernie

Comment

• QuarterMaster
      Rear Admiral
      • Sep 2015

Meet the covered picnic area in the finest RC Sub venue.

Power is available, and this area is lit at night.

There is no rain date (ha ha), as we're an all weather hobby. But at least we can stay dry when needed.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20150912_171821850_A.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	466.1 KB
ID:	133710

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0886a_A.jpg
Views:	186
Size:	544.3 KB
ID:	133711
      v/r "Sub" Ed

USS ULYSSES S GRANT-USS SHARK-USS NAUTILUS-USS KEY WEST-USS BLUEBACK-USS PATRICK HENRY-K432-U25-SSRN SEAVIEW-PROTEUS-NAUTILUS

Comment

• QuarterMaster
        Rear Admiral
        • Sep 2015

Originally posted by SSN687
        8 August 2019

10 AM to 10 PM is a long time to run boat and radio batteries. I have extra batteries for both but like to charge the used set while using the other set just in case something happens to the operating set.
        Do you know if there is any power outlets available at the cover shelter or close by, to be able recharge batteries as needed?
        Thanks
        Ernie
        Ernie.....

Are you on the Base Access list? I just verified Ray Mason's list, and I don't see an Ernie listed. Did you get confirmation from Joe Oliver?

Last thing we need is you showing up and not being allowed in!

ALCON,

THIS IS NOT AN OPEN MEET, UNLESS YOU CONTACTED JOE OLIVER OR RAY MASON TO BE PUT ON THE BASE ACCESS LIST, YOU WILL BE DENIED ENTRY.

IOW, driving some "x" distance for no reason.

Ed

v/r "Sub" Ed

Comment

• QuarterMaster
          Rear Admiral
          • Sep 2015

Originally posted by QuarterMaster

Ernie.....

Are you on the Base Access list? I just verified Ray Mason's list, and I don't see an Ernie listed. Did you get confirmation from Joe Oliver?

Last thing we need is you showing up and not being allowed in!

ALCON,

THIS IS NOT AN OPEN MEET, UNLESS YOU CONTACTED JOE OLIVER OR RAY MASON TO BE PUT ON THE BASE ACCESS LIST, YOU WILL BE DENIED ENTRY.

IOW, driving some "x" distance for no reason.

Ed
          Hey look!! I quoted myself!!

No issues Ernie....Ray confirmed you're on the list.

v/r "Sub" Ed

Comment

• RCSubGuy
            Welcome to my underwater realm!
            • Aug 2009

Looking forward to this, guys! It's not often I get out to play, let alone with a group of other bubble-heads. It's going to be a long hike up, but I'm sure you'll all make it worth it.

Bob

Comment

• QuarterMaster
              Rear Admiral
              • Sep 2015

Originally posted by SubHuman
              Looking forward to this, guys! It's not often I get out to play, let alone with a group of other bubble-heads. It's going to be a long hike up, but I'm sure you'll all make it worth it.

Bob
              Bob,

Get pumped, you're gonna have the time of your life, we can promise you that. Honestly, there is no experience like it.

Driving down SHARK Blvd, (yes...SHARK Blvd!) passing streets with names like Harder, Trout etc as you see Attack Boats at the pier or in dry-dock. The feeling of history alone is worth it. They's be so many little details and things to see it'll blow your mind.

Look, one can all argue with me about how it compares (or not) to other Regatta's and fun runs, BUT THERE IS NOTHING like the feeling of running your boat at an actual Submarine base, much less the "First and Finest". It becomes the 'feather in the cap" of the RC Sub community. You'll see what I mean.

When you get active duty men and women asking you questions about your RC boat, and you discuss what similarities they can, you earn a friend. Look to make email pen pals too, so bring your cards and pass them out at any opportunity.

Sub sailors have a lifetime connection to what they did, as most sailors do, but it's a 100% in this tight community. You can take the man out of the boat, but not the boat out of the man. Any connection, including RC Sub's, they grab hold. I'm sure the reason we don't have more active duty or newly out members from the Silent Service is because they are not aware of the hobby than lack of wanting to participate. FWIW, because of nature of what they do, they get very few public accolades, and doing what we do show's them what they mean to us.

The only caveat is that it's like a wedding: Month's of anticipation, yet passes in a heartbeat.

Yeah, expect your face to be hurting when the grin leaves after a week or so.
              v/r "Sub" Ed

Comment

• Ken_NJ
                Captain
                • Sep 2014

Originally posted by QuarterMaster
                The only caveat is that it's like a wedding: Month's of anticipation, yet passes in a heartbeat.
                It passed much to quickly! I'd rather be back at the base getting my feet and boats wet than sitting here on the couch typing this.

Had an awesome time! Groton is the most enjoyable sailing event I've been to. Awesome lake! Awesome meeting like minded people! And the weather was beautiful! Was nice to meet and talk with Bob M, Bob G, Frank and all the other usual attendees! Big thanks to the ladies, my Carol, Elle and Jocelyn for sticking around and being patient with us bubbleheads! Would be nice if more ladies would attend to keep each other occupied. I've been inspired to have the Skipjack ready for next year which can't come soon enough. Of course a big thanks to Joe and Ray for organizing all this!
                Last edited by Ken_NJ; 09-09-2019, 12:27 PM.

Comment

• trout
                  Admiral
                  • Jul 2011

Pictures? Where are the pictures?
                  For those that didn't make it, we need pictures! LOL
                  Ken glad you had a good time. How did the sub run?
                  If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• Ken_NJ
                    Captain
                    • Sep 2014

Marlin ran perfectly Tom! I'm working on a video, takes time to edit it.

Ray and Fred have lots of pictures. Bob Gaito was also snapping away. They will be sharing them somehow. Ray usually does Dropbox.
                    Last edited by Ken_NJ; 09-09-2019, 09:43 AM.

Comment

• Ken_NJ
                      Captain
                      • Sep 2014

Here are some of Bob's... https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...9#post42701697

Comment

• QuarterMaster
                        Rear Admiral
                        • Sep 2015

I regrettably admit that despite ALL the equipment I brought, including the 360Fly, that I was so involved with my boat I hardly took any video or photo's.

I did manage to capture this....

Ed's Groton Sub Run 2019

I also admit I busted some personal records!

Saturday, ~3-1/2 total hours running
                        15 Minutes surfaced followed by 1 hour submerged at PD, then a 2-1/2 hour rest at the mooring, followed by another 15 minutes surfaced and 2 hours submerged at Periscope depth.
                        BTW, that two hour portion is a great way to enjoy a stoagie!!
                        So she was in the water for a total of 6 consecutive hours on Saturday.

Sunday,
                        1/2 hour surfaced, then an hour submerged at PD which ended due to a busted rudder yoke. Got too brave with the floats.

In the end I lost count of my circumnavigations of North lake FROM THE PODIUM (not walking alongside around the lake) after 5! Both clockwise and counterclockwise.

She ran like a dream only requiring rudder input to avoid the floats, but hard over rudder requires some dive on the Fairwater planes to prevent broaching.

I give much thanks to Richard Kohlbrecher, 6x "Bottom Gun" winner USS TILEFISH SS-307 (aka "Rich's FEET BOAT" the1:48 scale SSY Balao-class submarine many old timers may be familiar with) during the SubCommittee Subregatta's of the '90's for aiding in the final trim Saturday morning. He's the man when it comes to trimming, I call him my lucky rabbit's foot!
                        Last edited by QuarterMaster; 09-10-2019, 08:40 AM.
                        v/r "Sub" Ed

Comment

Working...