Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Outrider
    Commander
    • Aug 2008

I still haven't found anything recent that addresses the status of the Portuguese 214s. I did find this source that talks about the Greek submarine program.

On Monday Sept 21/09, ThyssenKrupp Marine informed the Greek Minister of Defence that it was canceling "The Archimedes Project" contract for 4 U-214 diesel-electric submarines with Air-Independent Propulsion technology, because the government's

I've checked ThyssenKrupp and its relevant subsidiary (HDW) for news. Nothing reported. Jane's is quiet, too.

BTW, ThyssenKrupp also owns B&V and Kokums as well as HDW, so they dominate the export submarine business. Only Russia is close with its Kilo and variants, but those seem not to be the export submarine system of choice, even if the sub itself is capable. Buying a sub is buying a weapons system and it's the training and maintenance that really cost the big bucks, Euros, or rubles. The market seems to favor the Germans on most, if not all points. My guess is that Kokums has also done well enough for the Aussies on their Collins package, which included local assembly in Oz. There were some technical problems with Collins, but I think the key to the issues is how well Kokums and the RAN work(ed) together to solve the issues.

While researching, I also found this reference on German sub exports:

I wonder if there is any news of the D&E 1:144 R/C conversion... I hope it isn't in the same doldrums as the prototype. Of course, the weather hasn't been so hot in the mid-Atlantic. We got about three feet of snow in DC since Friday and had electricity outages. Lots of shoveling to do and no light does put a damper on construction.
    ________
    Vapor genie vaporizer
    Last edited by He Who Shall Not Be Named; 02-19-2011, 02:19 AM.

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
      • Aug 2008

The model build was delayed by production work -- and today I'm tightening up the design on the 1/72 torpedo launcher. hope to rejoin the project mid-week, Jim. Sorry about the delay.

David,
      ________
      PLYMOUTH X2S HISTORY
      Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Outrider
        Commander
        • Aug 2008

No worries at all, just stirring the pot a little to keep the board active.

You've got a lot of people waiting on the torpedoes and there will probably be a lot of production work associated with that. (Especially for our benevolent patron, whose kingdom has an effective voting population of one. That in itself, defines a market!)

My guess is that 1:72 is going to be the big seller as kits like the Gato have room to accommodate these with, perhaps, little modification--at least for the bow tubes. I suppose you may have to rethink the dimensions of some SubDrivers in order to ensure they work with torpedoes. The 1:144 214 certainly wouldn't take a torpedo system at this point (even if there were such a beast as a D&E 1:144 torpedo) as the WTC uses all of the available interior space. I also wonder about the effects of the launching system on ballast and trim. The more your R/Cs perform like "real" submarines, the more real problems to tackle.
        ________
        Medical marijuana seeds

Comment

• Outrider
          Commander
          • Aug 2008

My curiosity about trim was about the effects of the weight & location of the launcher apparatus as opposed to what happens upon/after launch. I guess that anything you add forward needs to be offset aft. Since the launcher isn't made out of lead, it's probably no big deal unless somebody builds up a bank of 8 tubes. (I think I remember seeing a photo of a unit set up for an Alfa that looked like a pretty imposing chunk of metal. That said, I know you have been working hard on refining your work, and that you probably wouldn't be satisfied by something that was too heavy to be of practical use.)

I suppose the amount of gas released at launch could be an issue, since the torpedos need to be pushed out with authority to get any range and speed. With a big push, it's it's easy to see how gas bubbles could get trapped in places that are normally wet. Fixes are probably easy, though, like you said. There's this thing called a drill...
          ________
          HONDA CB350F

Comment

• redboat219
            Admiral
            • Dec 2008

Dave what happened with the pictures? I subscribed to receive email updates about this thread and the last post notes about Mike giving the go ahead clearance to post pictures of the launcher.
            ________
            MERCEDES-BENZ M-CLASS SPECIFICATIONS
            Last edited by He Who Shall Not Be Named; 02-19-2011, 02:20 AM.
            Make it simple, make strong, make it work!

Comment

• Outrider
              Commander
              • Aug 2008

The photos and the posts are here:

For some reason, the posts moved rather than copied, and the photo thumbnails didn't make the trip. The photos are still there, though they no longer work with the photoviewer.
              ________
              XS400

Comment

• Aug 2008

The Moderator's here are still trying to learn the system. Jim attempted to copy, not delete, the post about the torpedo work. No nefarious intent on anyone's part, Redboat210. I'll put those shots down again here:

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0077.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	89.7 KB
ID:	57998Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0090.jpg
Size:	88.3 KB
ID:	57999Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0092.jpg
Size:	83.0 KB
ID:	58000Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0094.jpg
Size:	86.7 KB
ID:	58001Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0093.jpg
Size:	82.6 KB
ID:	58002Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0082.jpg
Size:	84.8 KB
ID:	58003Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0091.jpg
Size:	79.5 KB
ID:	58004Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0081.jpg
Size:	90.5 KB
ID:	58005Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0086.jpg
Size:	84.6 KB
ID:	58006Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0089.jpg
Size:	87.3 KB
ID:	58007Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0087.jpg
Size:	84.4 KB
ID:	58008
                ________
                Ford Explorer Sport Trac Specifications
                Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Markos1388
                  Ensign
                  • Jan 2010

David , I have a question about frequencies for my U214, I have found a bargain transmitter package but its 35MHz, will it still work underwater or must I buy a 72-75 MHz transmitter?

________
                  Ford motor company lamp factory

Comment

• Aug 2008

Originally posted by Markos1388
                    David , I have a question about frequencies for my U214, I have found a bargain transmitter package but its 35MHz, will it still work underwater or must I buy a 72-75 MHz transmitter?

http://www.modelzone.co.uk/optic_6_s...em-details.htm
                    As long as that band is legal in the county/state/province where you'll be operating, yes, it will do the job just fine.

David,
                    ________
                    Penny stocks to watch
                    Last edited by He Who Shall Not Be Named; 02-19-2011, 02:21 AM.
                    Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Markos1388
                      Ensign
                      • Jan 2010

Thanks David
                      ________
                      Buy Vapor Tower

Comment

• Subculture
                        Admiral
                        • Feb 2009

35mhz is ring fenced for aircraft use only.

40mhz and 27mhz are the bands suitable for model submarine use.
                        ________
                        RENT GUARANTEE FORUM

Comment

• Outrider
                          Commander
                          • Aug 2008

Regarding radio frequencies, you have two issues to deal with. One is does this frequency work? The other is may I use this frequency?

As far as does this frequency work? Yes, a 35 MHz signal does penetrate water at the depths you are likely to operate at and at the power you are likely to have in your transmitter. So you can use the frequency, but the next question is may you use the frequency? That depends on how the RF spectrum is allocated where you are using your sub.

As far as spectrum allocation is concerned, the rules vary by country, though some uses are harmonized. In the U.S. and in many other locations, some frequencies set aside for hobbyist uses are further differentiated by policy or agreement. It's often done for practical reasons. For example, in the U.S., 72 MHZ is for air use and 75 MHz is for surface use. If you use 72 MHz to control your sub in the local pool, you might just end up "shooting down" an R/C heli flying at the adjoining baseball field.

You might wonder "can I get away with using an air frequency with little risk?" That's like asking whether you can safely run a stop sign. Could you be "safe" doing that? Well, there are some conditions where that poses little risk, but I'm not going to tell you to do it. Also, and this is pretty important, you wouldn't just be risking your equipment, but also that of others who actually are playing by the rules.

No intent to talk down to anybody here, and plenty of folks probably know this already, but if you don't know about the right way to use your radios, and go out and do the wrong thing, there can be some serious consequences.

Back to the Type 214, is there any news on construction or sea trials? (This thread is about the Revell 1:144 Type214.) There's been a lot of smoke pouring out of the Wizard's cave, but it seems to be the work of Rose toiling away in obscurity. Pity the poor waif as she labors mightily for the Caswell empire...

Some news on the 214 might keep busy fingers from dialing child/youth protective services and inquiring about some the applicability of certain laws regarding the employment of minors in known hazardous working environments.

Enough with the torpedoes... Yes the launchers are artfully engineered and finely crafted. You've built a weapons stockpile that would threaten the viability of the Imperial Japanese High Seas Fleet. People will be thrilled to see air bubbles streak out into a 20 foot line trailing a little green cigar tube that bobs up and down after end of run.

It's 214 time again, time to see this high performing modern menace pitted against a 1:144 Kilo in mortal combat, or at least in a pylon race...
                          ________
                          Discuss Vaporizers
                          Last edited by He Who Shall Not Be Named; 02-19-2011, 02:22 AM.

Comment

• Aug 2008

Jim,

Your threat of employing Child Services to get the 214 done will soon bear fruit. I'll be putting that work down soon (and the FOXTROT parts), and will get back onto the 214 job.

Very good over-view about the allocation of frequencies by the government, and why they do it. Yes, guys, insure that you don't use r/c system bands assigned for model aircraft use only. Remember: the FCC giveth, the FCC can taketh away!

David,
                            ________
                            Breyton
                            Last edited by He Who Shall Not Be Named; 02-19-2011, 02:22 AM.
                            Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Markos1388
                              Ensign
                              • Jan 2010

David I must apologise before hand as I have many newbie questions. How did you connect a brushed motor to the receiver as the motor has 2 wires and the receiver has 3 wires?
                              I hope i dont upset Outrider again by changing the subect away from your U214 again.
                              ________
                              Bluetec
                              Last edited by He Who Shall Not Be Named; 02-19-2011, 02:23 AM.

Comment

• Outrider
                                Commander
                                • Aug 2008

Generally, there needs to be an ESC between the motor, the battery and the receiver. See the cabal report on the 1.25 inch SubDriver here for a basic wiring diagram:

You'll note that the ESC in the diagram/photo has the three wire plug that goes into the receiver. This particular ESC, one that's ideal for the Type 214, needs to be hooked up to the battery and to the motor.

There are other ways to interface between the receiver and the motor. See David's post below.
                                ________
                                SARDINIAN RECIPES
                                Last edited by He Who Shall Not Be Named; 02-19-2011, 02:23 AM.

Comment

Working...