Today's work on the little Revell SKIPJACK fittings kit

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • He Who Shall Not Be Named
    • Aug 2008

Hey! ... that's a good work-around. Well done, sir.

M
    Who is John Galt?

Comment

• trout
      Admiral
      • Jul 2011

Gary,
      Great work there! I like it.
      Peace,
      Tom
      If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• Sublime
        Lieutenant, Junior Grade
        • Jan 2014

Great discussion. That is what I like about this forum. All I have to do is read and it answers the questions I have, will have or should'a had!

Comment

• crazygary
          Captain
          • Sep 2012

G'Day, M!

Just received my Vislero LiPo and Nano ESC from Mike, and need to ask for your valued assistance.

It appears that the "engine room" is a bit crowded with both of those items, but they fit fine. The pushbutton on the ESC, if laid on top of the battery, touches the i.d. of the tube. Is there a chance that this could be problematic? I can flip the ESC over and let the button hang down off the end of the battery!

Also, the ESC has 2 sets of motor connectors. One pair are individual, and the other pair terminate in a 2-pronged connector. Which ones get connected to the motor, and can the other pair just be de-soldered so as not to take up any extra real estate within the wtc?

Many thanks for your input, as is always appreciated!

Comment

• Aug 2008

Originally posted by crazygary
            G'Day, M!

Just received my Vislero LiPo and Nano ESC from Mike, and need to ask for your valued assistance.

It appears that the "engine room" is a bit crowded with both of those items, but they fit fine. The pushbutton on the ESC, if laid on top of the battery, touches the i.d. of the tube. Is there a chance that this could be problematic? I can flip the ESC over and let the button hang down off the end of the battery!

Also, the ESC has 2 sets of motor connectors. One pair are individual, and the other pair terminate in a 2-pronged connector. Which ones get connected to the motor, and can the other pair just be de-soldered so as not to take up any extra real estate within the wtc?

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0089.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	96.4 KB
ID:	89766Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0095.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	88.4 KB
ID:	89767

If you have too, shave the button back so it won't hit anything when you cram it in there.

M
            Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Aug 2008

G'Day, M!

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0089.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	96.4 KB
ID:	89766Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0095.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	88.4 KB
ID:	89767

If you have too, shave the button back so it won't hit anything when you cram it in there.

M
              Who is John Galt?

Comment

• crazygary
                Captain
                • Sep 2012

Thank you kind sir!!

Comment

• crazygary
                  Captain
                  • Sep 2012

Oops!!

Also, thanks for the diagram!!

Comment

• crazygary
                    Captain
                    • Sep 2012

Hello, M!

A question for future reference!

As my next build will, more than likely, be the Trumpeter 1/144 Gato, I was wondering
                    if the second gear has to be secured to the gearbox to avoid any possibility of it slipping out during operation?

I'm assuming that the connection between the prop shaft and gear, via the flexible tubing, would be sufficient?

Comment

• Aug 2008

Hello, M!

A question for future reference!

As my next build will, more than likely, be the Trumpeter 1/144 Gato, I was wondering
                      if the second gear has to be secured to the gearbox to avoid any possibility of it slipping out during operation?

I'm assuming that the connection between the prop shaft and gear, via the flexible tubing, would be sufficient?
                      No retainer to prevent axial motion of the idler gear -- it rides free in its bushing. Both astern and ahead thrust loads are presented to the forward and after faces of the strut bearing.

M
                      Who is John Galt?

Comment

• crazygary
                        Captain
                        • Sep 2012

Back again, M.

Ordered, and have received, a battery charger for the Vislero 7.4/850Mah battery but the charger
                        fitting is quite a bit different from that of the battery!

I e-mailed Caswells customer service yesterday regarding that, but haven't heard back as yet!

LiPo has a typical "plugs-into-the-rx" type connector, but the battery has something, well....???

Pretty neat looking fitting, but.....No cigar??

Just asking if you may be able to shed any light on this "circumstance"?

Many thanks for your anticipated response.

Comment

• Aug 2008

Get a few sets of the very small Deans connectors. Solder the male end into the charger wires, the female end into the battery -- compatibility! Life is good, harmony restored to the universe.

M
                          Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Aug 2008

Get a few sets of the very small Deans connectors. Solder the male end into the charger wires, the female end into the battery -- compatibility! Life is good, harmony restored to the universe.

M
                            Who is John Galt?

Comment

• crazygary
                              Captain
                              • Sep 2012

Houston.... We have Skippy!!!!
                              Just a few pix of my nearly completed "first-ever-sub"!!
                              I've been "walkin'-the-walk", M!!
                              Waiting for my Lepton6 RX from the Caswell boys, then I can get her trimmed,
                              all "electronicked-up", and in the pool for her much anticipated maiden voyage!

O.K.!! Scratch the part about the pix!! Can't make it happen!!

Comment

• Aug 2008

Damn! I want to see this thing!

M
                                Who is John Galt?

Comment

Working...