Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • toppack
    Rear Admiral
    • Nov 2008

Naw, David actually Loves all these Challanges! ;)
    Rick L.
    --------------------------------------------
    * Asking Questions is a 'Good Thing',
    Since Learning is Always a 'Good Thing' *

Comment

• herrmill
      Commander
      • Dec 2008

Originally posted by kazzer
      I was never a great fan of 'rules' in war. "Stand there in line men, while they mow you down", somehow doesn't sit well. Submarine warfare was and still is 'sneaky'. I like it!

Call it cheating if you like. Those warship guys have had the pond to themselves for too long!
      Mike, you may want to look over a few of the combat warship forums to see how effective combat subs may be & the issues they face. Here's an excellent post related to a 1/72 Surcouf, along with mention to an existing M1 & I-400:

Does anyone have any plans, detailed pictures, or full hull pictures of the French submarine Surcouf? Or does anyone know where I could get building...

Again, I'm interested strictly in a non-conventional sub that will look nice with the rest of the fleet. :)
      Last edited by herrmill; 02-26-2009, 12:06 AM.

Comment

• Slats
        Vice Admiral
        • Aug 2008

Mike,
        flick me an e-mail with all the dope on this new 1/72 scale masterpiece and what hi holyness will do with details etc.
        Time I give you and David some more page space in Course072.
        Best
        John
        John Slater

Sydney Australia

You would not steal a wallet so don't steal people's livelihood.
        Think of that before your buy "cheap" pirated goods or download others work protected by copyright. Theft is theft.

sigpic

Comment

• Kazzer
          • Aug 2008

Originally posted by herrmill
          Mike, you may want to look over a few of the combat warship forums to see how effective combat subs may be & the issues they face. Here's an excellent post related to a 1/72 Surcouf, along with mention to an existing M1 & I-400:

Does anyone have any plans, detailed pictures, or full hull pictures of the French submarine Surcouf? Or does anyone know where I could get building...
          Chuck

I've read submarine stuff on several of these battleship forums, and I really don't think they understand all the problems involved. (I'm sure I don't either). Even if a BB penetrated the hull, it then has to go through the Sub-driver to get at the ballast tank, and if the boat is submerged, 95% of the power will be lost in the water. I can't see that happening. Anyhow, who wants a Sub-driver shot up? Balsa sides were discussed and of course, that won't work either as it will mess up the trim and even if shot up, won't effect the ballast tank. Because of the problems of having a sinkable area, I really wonder if the entire thing is actually feasible.

I can see the Snort system being the answer to the ballast, as it simplifies things and allows some 'dynamic' diving to obtain depth. Lets assume the boat is trimmed with ballast tank full and Snort tube is the only thing showing. That will be a hard target, as any BB will have to travel underwater to hit the hull. To dive deeper, the boat will need a small amount of throttle, which when stopped, will allow the boat to surface back to Snort tube level.

LiPo batteries would also dispel some of the argument about lack of stability perhaps?
          Stop messing about - just get a Sub-driver!

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
            • Aug 2008

Originally posted by kazzer
            Chuck

I've read submarine stuff on several of these battleship forums, and I really don't think they understand all the problems involved. (I'm sure I don't either). Even if a BB penetrated the hull, it then has to go through the Sub-driver to get at the ballast tank, and if the boat is submerged, 95% of the power will be lost in the water. I can't see that happening. Anyhow, who wants a Sub-driver shot up? Balsa sides were discussed and of course, that won't work either as it will mess up the trim and even if shot up, won't effect the ballast tank. Because of the problems of having a sinkable area, I really wonder if the entire thing is actually feasible.

I can see the Snort system being the answer to the ballast, as it simplifies things and allows some 'dynamic' diving to obtain depth. Lets assume the boat is trimmed with ballast tank full and Snort tube is the only thing showing. That will be a hard target, as any BB will have to travel underwater to hit the hull. To dive deeper, the boat will need a small amount of throttle, which when stopped, will allow the boat to surface back to Snort tube level.

LiPo batteries would also dispel some of the argument about lack of stability perhaps?
            Two reasons I see why we should not produce submarine hull kits to cater to the BB gun shooters out there:

One point Mr. Caswell addressed already: that the BB shooter's don't/can't/won't appreciate the complexities or peculiarities of the r/c submarine as configured for real-world combat.

The other point is the type of activity and type of people who engage in BB shooting. Watch such an event, I dare you! You'll see non-stop banging away with BB guns mounted aboard poorly crafted, un-scale like running r/c ships, narrated with primal grunts and roars issued by the safety-goggle sporting participants.

And who's behind the transmitter stick of one of those shot-up, awful looking model warships? ... I'll tell you who: It'll be a tobacco dribbling, loud-mouthed, gun hugging, wife-beating, illiterate, yellow-toothed, bible-thumping, snake-holding, red-neck sporting a back-wards turned NASCAR ball-cap, who gets an erection each time the word 'shoot' is uttered within ear shot.

No thanks.

I'll stick with real scale modeling. And I recommend we configure the M1 kit for real scale modeling enthusiasts.

David,
            Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Subculture
              Admiral
              • Feb 2009

Hey Dave, Ramesh wanted to put a BB gun in an M1.

Comment

• Nuke Power
                Banned
                • Dec 2008

What I think David is trying to say is that he has about a half dozen of them already...
                The only thing I can think of for the determined man to get it to work would be balsa replacement sides like the ships use but, have balloons or such behind them that the sub is using as ballast. That way if you take enough hits or such it sinks. One or two hits would probably do it and in real life that is probably the case as well. It would help take away the extreme advantage of such a craft forcing them to lean on stealth as their advantage.
                Last edited by Nuke Power; 02-26-2009, 04:29 PM.

Comment

• toppack
                  Rear Admiral
                  • Nov 2008

Originally posted by Merriman
                  And who's behind the transmitter stick of one of those shot-up, awful looking model warships? ... I'll tell you who: It'll be a tobacco dribbling, loud-mouthed, gun hugging, wife-beating, illiterate, yellow-toothed, bible-thumping, snake-holding, red-neck sporting a back-wards turned NASCAR ball-cap, who gets an erection each time the word 'shoot' is uttered within ear shot.
                  David,
                  Negative Vibes, Man
                  So Many Negative Vibes!
                  Mike,
                  Do you have a Filter for Negatives?
                  Rick L.
                  --------------------------------------------
                  * Asking Questions is a 'Good Thing',
                  Since Learning is Always a 'Good Thing' *

Comment

• Nuke Power
                    Banned
                    • Dec 2008

If he were gonna do that he would have to remove davids access.

Comment

• Aug 2008

Originally posted by Subculture
                      Hey Dave, Ramesh wanted to put a BB gun in an M1.
                      Filipino's get a pass on this one, Andy.

And what would a guy, from such a tranquil and level headed group of people (Muslim hill people excluded), want to do with BB shooters anyway?!...

David,
                      Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Aug 2008

Originally posted by toppack
                        Negative Vibes, Man
                        So Many Negative Vibes!
                        Mike,
                        Do you have a Filter for Negatives?
                        Rick: you're not helping here, pal!
                        Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Aug 2008

Originally posted by Rogue Sub
                          What I think David is trying to say is that he has about a half dozen of them already...
                          The only thing I can think of for the determined man to get it to work would be balso replacement sides like the ships use but have balloons or suck behind them that you are using as ballast. That way if you take enough hits or such it sinks. One or two hits would probably do it and in rel life that is probably the case as well. It would help take away the extreme advantage of such a craft forcing them to lean on stealth as their advantage.
                          Now, that is a good way to configure a combat playing r/c submarine. It would indeed 'level' the playing field.
                          Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Subculture
                            Admiral
                            • Feb 2009

Ramesh isn't Filipino.

I have no idea though, he's such a mild mannered fellow.

Comment

• Nuke Power
                              Banned
                              • Dec 2008

I wear PINK underwear!I wear PINK underwear!I wear PINK underwear!I wear PINK underwear! it for some reason your forum doesn't automatically spell check my stuff. I keep sounding like a 3rd grader!

I think my idea would work except it would be a very long drawn out battle considering you would have to maneuver the ship to aim the I wear PINK underwear!I wear PINK underwear!I wear PINK underwear!I wear PINK underwear! thing. You could use the twin propellers to steer the thing to aim. Either way you've probably got yourself a long drawn out battle considering how fast and how many hits it takes to sink those surface boats with their bilge pumps going.
                              David, in your opinion do you think this M-1 even has the required room for such a system?

Comment

• herrmill
                                Commander
                                • Dec 2008

ROLF!!!!!!!!!!!! :D:D:D

Dave, you've just made my day over here across the pond.

Chuck

Comment

Working...