Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Subculture
    Admiral
    • Feb 2009

This is my washer roller. They're called washer rollers because you can make them by stacking up washers in a row, large size, small size, large size.... etc. The grooves in the roller allow the resin to squish through, so you can get a bit of pressure onto the glass, and ensure it's fully consolidated with the resin and chase out any air bubbles.

I found the ones available commercially were too wide for smaller moulds, so I made my own. The handle is an old bicycle spoke bent to incorporate the roller. The roller itself was turned up out of a small scrap piece of steel, which is better than using washers. The threaded end of the spoke has a small nut on which keeps the roller in place. Once I'm done laminating, I undo the nut, and dump the roller in a jam jar with some acetone in to ensure it's squeaky clean for the next job.

Click image for larger version

Name:	6885723417_a337d11b03_b.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	94.7 KB
ID:	66512

Commercial type of roller- too wide to get in tight radius' etc. Fine for larger laminates.

Click image for larger version

Name:	washer_25x70_sml.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	48.8 KB
ID:	66513
    Last edited by Kazzer; 02-22-2012, 01:32 PM.

Comment

• SSBN659
      Commander
      • Feb 2009

OK, now I get the picture (pun intended). I'll give it a try. Many thanks.

Comment

• OldNoob
        Ensign
        • Jun 2011

Bump. How is it going? I've been looking for a 1/72 T-class kit.

Comment

• Kazzer
          • Aug 2008

Originally posted by OldNoob
          Bump. How is it going? I've been looking for a 1/72 T-class kit.

The T is stalled for a short while. I want to get my vacu-former running next week, and then run off the X Craft hull. After that, it's the T!
          Stop messing about - just get a Sub-driver!

Comment

• Slats
            Vice Admiral
            • Aug 2008

Originally posted by Kazzer
            The T is stalled for a short while. I want to get my vacu-former running next week, and then run off the X Craft hull. After that, it's the T!
            Your doing an X craft Vacu formed hull? I'm listening....details please? Size and control surfaces corrected?
            J
            John Slater

Sydney Australia

You would not steal a wallet so don't steal people's livelihood.
            Think of that before your buy "cheap" pirated goods or download others work protected by copyright. Theft is theft.

sigpic

Comment

• Kazzer
              • Aug 2008

Yep

It's Alan Poole's original. 1:12 (I think) and approx 48" long.
              Control surfaces already molded, All I have to do is the actual hull sections.
              Stop messing about - just get a Sub-driver!

Comment

Working...