X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • biggsgolf
    Captain
    • Jan 2020

USS Nautilus SSN571 STL File Package

Which Time frame is this representation? It has a 5 Bladed Prop pictured, so wouldn't the lower hull be black? Does it have the upper deck Sonar employed for the North Pole Expedition? Needing to determine what color Filament to print her, and what colors to paint her.
    https://www.rc-submarine.com/product...l-file-package

Click image for larger version

Name:	Image 1-5-24 at 9.10 AM (1).jpg
Views:	267
Size:	44.5 KB
ID:	177300 Click image for larger version

Name:	Image 1-5-24 at 9.10 AM.jpg
Views:	205
Size:	43.1 KB
ID:	177301 Click image for larger version

Name:	Image 1-5-24 at 9.11 AM.jpg
Views:	204
Size:	45.7 KB
ID:	177302
  • Albacore 569
    Commander
    • Sep 2020

The research for this famous submarine should be very easy. The model based on these photos looks like th 1958 period when she ventured transiting the North Pole. The Colors of the actual SSN-571 may have been different. A black or dark gray. Or a black horizontals and a very dark gray Vertcals. In the pacific the dark gray verticals would have a slight blue tint added) . The deck color of wood deck looks right (to me) The sail looks like the model shows the reenforced for the ice too.

Yes, is shows the UQS-1 under ice sonar.

By now her flood drain holes along the bottom may have been changed too, from the very VERY noisy ovals to the new rectangular louvered ones pioneered and tested on Albacore AGSS-569. Nautilus before the tests by Albacore howled like a scalded Clarinet. You could not even shout and be heard in the forward torpedo room and any reasonable speed.

Fortunately, she is preserved & museum commemorating the world's first nuclear powered vehicle. So, the actual Atlantic colors (or the Pacific ones?) could be answered I'm sure with just one phone call. She is at the US Naval submarine museum in Groton, Connecticut.

The two bottom phots are useful for some details. SSN-571 was decommissioned in 1980 at Mare Island NSY in 1980. In 1985 she underwent preservtion and modifications converting her into a museum ship at Mare Island before towed south and through the Panama Canal to Groton. The MINSY added the glass partitions and secured her nuclear power plant for public viewing.

I loved Mare Island for their very excellent Photo documentation department throughout this Naval Shipyards lifetime on everything built and repairs there. These photos are invaluable to any ship modeler submarine or not. The USS Parche changes were all done in the Mare Island 'Car chop shop'. I dont think we will ever see those juicy photos till the year 2525...lol.. So were USS Halibut's SSN- 587) conversions, and Seawolf's SSN-575 stretch too for 'ocean research' purposes (ie: spy work! ).. Mare Island became unassumingly quietly the USN underwater 'skunk works'. Mare Island is now being reactivated as a US Navy Repair facility, as the naval build up with China continues. See my Tinian post earlier).

Click image for larger version  Name:	8mMwwSb.jpg Views:	0 Size:	45.7 KB ID:	177305

Click image for larger version  Name:	livPJIz.jpg Views:	0 Size:	57.1 KB ID:	177306

Click image for larger version  Name:	jPT9nbh.jpg Views:	0 Size:	85.4 KB ID:	177309

Name:	5LCy0W2.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	56.4 KB
ID:	177311
    Last edited by Albacore 569; 01-05-2024, 04:26 PM.

Comment

• biggsgolf
      Captain
      • Jan 2020

Originally posted by Albacore 569
      The research for this famous submarine should be very easy. The model based on these photos looks like th 1958 period when she ventured transiting the North Pole. The Colors of the actual SSN-571 may have been different. A black or dark gray. Or a black horizontals and a very dark gray Vertcals. In the pacific the dark gray verticals would have a slight blue tint added) . The deck color of wood deck looks right (to me) The sail looks like the model shows the reenforced for the ice too.

Yes, is shows the UQS-1 under ice sonar.

By now her flood drain holes along the bottom may have been changed too, from the very VERY noisy ovals to the new rectangular louvered ones pioneered and tested on Albacore AGSS-569. Nautilus before the tests by Albacore howled like a scalded Clarinet. You could not even shout and be heard in the forward torpedo room and any reasonable speed.

Fortunately, she is preserved & museum commemorating the world's first nuclear powered vehicle. So, the actual Atlantic colors (or the Pacific ones?) could be answered I'm sure with just one phone call. She is at the US Naval submarine museum in Groton, Connecticut.

The two bottom phots are useful for some details. SSN-571 was decommissioned in 1980 at Mare Island NSY in 1980. In 1985 she underwent preservtion and modifications converting her into a museum ship at Mare Island before towed south and through the Panama Canal to Groton. The MINSY added the glass partitions and secured her nuclear power plant for public viewing.

I loved Mare Island for their very excellent Photo documentation department throughout this Naval Shipyards lifetime on everything built and repairs there. These photos are invaluable to any ship modeler submarine or not. The USS Parche changes were all done in the Mare Island 'Car chop shop'. I dont think we will ever see those juicy photos till the year 2525...lol.. So were USS Halibut's SSN- 587) conversions, and Seawolf's SSN-575 stretch too for 'ocean research' purposes (ie: spy work! ).. Mare Island became unassumingly quietly the USN underwater 'skunk works'. Mare Island is now being reactivated as a US Navy Repair facility, as the naval build up with China continues. See my Tinian post earlier).

Click image for larger version Name:	8mMwwSb.jpg Views:	0 Size:	45.7 KB ID:	177305

Click image for larger version Name:	livPJIz.jpg Views:	0 Size:	57.1 KB ID:	177306

Click image for larger version Name:	jPT9nbh.jpg Views:	0 Size:	85.4 KB ID:	177309

Name:	5LCy0W2.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	56.4 KB
ID:	177311
      Many thanks Sir!

Comment

• CC Clarke
        Lieutenant Commander
        • Aug 2020

There is no time frame for this model as it's inaccurate. Shape-wise, it's very good, but the guy who designed it didn't know much about the history or modification history of the boat. We chatted. He made it aesthetically pleasing to the eye. Most viewers would never have a clue, so it is what it is.

All limber holes, -except but those forward of the bow planes were removed shortly after sea trials due to excessive noise. The UQS-4 dome was installed before Operation Sunshine. The original sail top was flat. The raised area behind the bridge was installed by MINSY prior to the Sunshine op.

The three levels of bridge view ports changed to 2 and then none in MINSY - a "slit" style view port was added.

I spent months researching this hull, (even bought a nice book with plenty of reference material from the former skipper's wife) and saved details by year in folders to track the mods before starting the 3D model. There is also some good archival footage on YouTube. I captured a lot of screen shots to get some details not found elsewhere.

The masts and antennas are very much off. The UHF whips should retract onto the side of the sail when their respecttive masts lower. The snorkel needed a complete re-design along with the Type 2 and 8 periscopes.

If you have any other questions, blaze away!

Comment

• biggsgolf
          Captain
          • Jan 2020

Originally posted by CC Clarke
          There is no time frame for this model as it's inaccurate. Shape-wise, it's very good, but the guy who designed it didn't know much about the history or modification history of the boat. We chatted. He made it aesthetically pleasing to the eye. Most viewers would never have a clue, so it is what it is.

All limber holes, -except but those forward of the bow planes were removed shortly after sea trials due to excessive noise. The UQS-4 dome was installed before Operation Sunshine. The original sail top was flat. The raised area behind the bridge was installed by MINSY prior to the Sunshine op.

The three levels of bridge view ports changed to 2 and then none in MINSY - a "slit" style view port was added.

I spent months researching this hull, (even bought a nice book with plenty of reference material from the former skipper's wife) and saved details by year in folders to track the mods before starting the 3D model. There is also some good archival footage on YouTube. I captured a lot of screen shots to get some details not found elsewhere.

The masts and antennas are very much off. The UHF whips should retract onto the side of the sail when their respecttive masts lower. The snorkel needed a complete re-design along with the Type 2 and 8 periscopes.

If you have any other questions, blaze away!
          I appreciate the knowledge you have presented, I thought it was not accurate. My goal is to represent the boat colors when on 23 July 1958, Nautilus left Pearl Harbor to successfully complete Operation Sunshine. Any photos or thoughts would be much appreciated!

Comment

• Albacore 569
            Commander
            • Sep 2020

I think the info you're getting is invaluable from CC Clarke. Definitely follow his guidance Esp on the sail ports or dead lights.

I think the 3 D programing there must be a sense of effortless speed in where to place things programing that make it easy to ruin hours of methodical careful research to get it exactly right. Such programing work needs to slow down and follow the research drawings photos and eyewitness testimony exactly. Saves many hours or days in the model shop correcting details that perhaps could have been placed in haste.

After my post, since you established an exact time, (23 July 1958, Nautilus left Pearl Harbor) you wish to represent the boat, I was wondering more about. I suspect since her preparations were classified because of the nature of Operation Sunshine, would she be painted in a Atlantic scheme or a Pacific scheme? The differences are so small and subtle to begin with. Since some keen eyes might spot the difference when moored next to other boats like at Pearl harbor (an Atlantic moored adjacent to Pacific schemes, would it suggest anything? Since MINSY is in Vallejo California leaning toward possibly after her modifications she got a fresh pacific scheme?

What would Mr Clarkes research show? I am curious.
            Last edited by Albacore 569; 01-06-2024, 10:50 AM.

Comment

• Das Boot
              Rear Admiral
              • Dec 2019

Black below water line, Gray above, black deck. Check DrSchmidt‘s posts on his build.
              Last edited by Das Boot; 01-06-2024, 10:07 PM.
              Of the 40,000 men who served on German submarines, 30,000 never returned.”

Comment

• CC Clarke
                Lieutenant Commander
                • Aug 2020

For the majority of the hull, flat black works. For the superstructure, Light Sea Grey with a little Sea Grey mixed (5:1). Topside is flat black. The plaque on the lower front of the sail, (it changed location a few times) brass, as well as the screws. International Orange knocked down with a little red for the messenger buoys.

The sail you're using is close to the MINSY Mod, but the look-out stations behind the bridge should nbe more oval than rectangular. The front of the sail is the worst offender - it shoud be vertical, not angled like the aft end. The sail port and starboard running lights were recessed by 1955. The should look like square outlines when retracted. The forward running light on the sail was gone by '58. At the time of operation Sunshine, there was one row of plexiglass "windows" on the sail and a slit viewport near the top. Even the ship's whistle moved during the first few years, and stayed on the CL. Here are a few '58 photos to illustrate my points:

Name:	1958.jpg
Size:	63.9 KB
ID:	177356

Name:	7 Aug 58.jpg
Views:	217
Size:	84.9 KB
ID:	177354 Click image for larger version

Name:	1958 England on the Way Home From Polar Trip.jpg
Views:	210
Size:	59.1 KB
ID:	177355

Comment

• biggsgolf
                  Captain
                  • Jan 2020

For the majority of the hull, flat black works. For the superstructure, Light Sea Grey with a little Sea Grey mixed (5:1). Topside is flat black. The plaque on the lower front of the sail, (it changed location a few times) brass, as well as the screws. International Orange knocked down with a little red for the messenger buoys.

The sail you're using is close to the MINSY Mod, but the look-out stations behind the bridge should nbe more oval than rectangular. The front of the sail is the worst offender - it shoud be vertical, not angled like the aft end. The sail port and starboard running lights were recessed by 1955. The should look like square outlines when retracted. The forward running light on the sail was gone by '58. At the time of operation Sunshine, there was one row of plexiglass "windows" on the sail and a slit viewport near the top. Even the ship's whistle moved during the first few years, and stayed on the CL. Here are a few '58 photos to illustrate my points:

Name:	1958.jpg
Size:	63.9 KB
ID:	177356

Name:	7 Aug 58.jpg
Views:	217
Size:	84.9 KB
ID:	177354 Click image for larger version

Name:	1958 England on the Way Home From Polar Trip.jpg
Views:	210
Size:	59.1 KB
ID:	177355
                  So the superstructure is the sail? I assume no anti fouling red?

Comment

• CC Clarke
                    Lieutenant Commander
                    • Aug 2020

It depends on which side of the pond you're on.

Brits call the superstructure the "casing" and the sail a "fin".

The sail sits on the superstucture. It's purpose it to house the masts and antennas, (several which penetrate the pressure hull due to length) provide a lookoout and conning location and get the runnign lights a littl ehigher for visibility.

The superstucture rises from the pressure hull to form a free-flood space (like the sail) to house line lockers, cover the diesel exhaust line, etc.

The deck is the upper section of the superstructure that greets your feet when you step aboard.

Anti-fouling red lead on the hull came later.

Louvers on the lower MBTs didn't become standard until later classes.

End of SubSchool Day One. Test on Friday!
                    Last edited by CC Clarke; 01-07-2024, 02:26 PM.

Comment

• Albacore 569
                      Commander
                      • Sep 2020

Can you Mr Clark tell us where the above B&W photos were taken? It's not Mare Island NSY. Is it Bremerton, Washington? Groton? The large hill in background throws me off. Its more brominate than the small hill used for ordinance storage at southern end of Mare Island so it can't be that location.. One of the atomic bombs used eventually on Japan was stored in a shed off the MINSY officers club Golf course. OFC under heavy guard prior to being loaded aboard USS Indianapolis docked there then. Looking at satimages of Mareisland the gold course is all waste land now, fields and weeds.
                      Last edited by Albacore 569; 01-07-2024, 03:21 PM.

Comment

• CC Clarke
                        Lieutenant Commander
                        • Aug 2020

These shots were taken in England after the first attempt at reaching the Pole failed.

I have some great shots of MINSY after it was shuttered and handed over to the city of Vallejo. (I spent several years stationed there.)

As dilapidated as it is now, Vallejo is in even worse shape due to the Bay Area's insistence that the Navy get out en masse. It's a ghetto now. Tens of thousands of well-paying jobs vanished in a span of a few years, with the loss of an irreplaceable major Naval Shipyard at a time when we're building boats as fast as EB and ASCONS can crank them out. The economic damage to the rest of the Bay Area is incalcuable, but the state of the area is well known.

It's sad to read the latest reports in Proceedings that 1/3 of the SSN fleet is tied to the pier awaiting or in maintenance. If we don't build a couple of Naval Shipyards fast, we're in bigger trouble. The problem is, it takes a long time to train a workforce to gain the experience necessary to work on nuclear submarines.

Everybody wants to go to heaven, but nobody wants to die.

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
                          • Aug 2008

These shots were taken in England after the first attempt at reaching the Pole failed.

I have some great shots of MINSY after it was shuttered and handed over to the city of Vallejo. (I spent several years stationed there.)

As dilapidated as it is now, Vallejo is in even worse shape due to the Bay Area's insistence that the Navy get out en masse. It's a ghetto now. Tens of thousands of well-paying jobs vanished in a span of a few years, with the loss of an irreplaceable major Naval Shipyard at a time when we're building boats as fast as EB and ASCONS can crank them out. The economic damage to the rest of the Bay Area is incalcuable, but the state of the area is well known.

It's sad to read the latest reports in Proceedings that 1/3 of the SSN fleet is tied to the pier awaiting or in maintenance. If we don't build a couple of Naval Shipyards fast, we're in bigger trouble. The problem is, it takes a long time to train a workforce to gain the experience necessary to work on nuclear submarines.

Everybody wants to go to heaven, but nobody wants to die.
                          Visted the former Key West naval base a few years after the navy was given the boot. Did that sometime in the early 70's while on leave off the WEBSTER.

No gate-guard, the buildings were still there but rotting out -- I snuck into the barracks where I lived when not on the TRUTTA. my rack was still there but it and most of 'em were starting to fall through the floor up on the second-deck. Same with the UDT school -- the upper floor had partially collapsed into the first-deck training pool and class-rooms. The piers were rotting, and all the power and steam lines had been pulled. The entirety of main-side a ghost town: no people, no boats, no security, even the White-Castle just outside of the gate was gone. Nothing left there but fond memories of drunken brawls on Duval Street, lost teeth, monster hangovers at quarters, and the happiest days of my un-married life.

Key west is now the go-too vacation spot for fag's and tourists. The world keeps a'turning.

David
                          Who is John Galt?

Comment

• CC Clarke
                            Lieutenant Commander
                            • Aug 2020

Originally posted by Albacore 569
                            Can you Mr Clark tell us where the above B&W photos were taken? It's not Mare Island NSY. Is it Bremerton, Washington? Groton? The large hill in background throws me off. Its more brominate than the small hill used for ordinance storage at southern end of Mare Island so it can't be that location.. One of the atomic bombs used eventually on Japan was stored in a shed off the MINSY officers club Golf course. OFC under heavy guard prior to being loaded aboard USS Indianapolis docked there then. Looking at satimages of Mareisland the gold course is all waste land now, fields and weeds.
                            From all of the accounts I've read of the USS Indianapolis role in transporting the 1st weapon, the Little Boy bomb, (in component form) was loaded at Hunter's Point Naval Shipyard after being trasported by air to Hamilton AAF base, north of the Golden Gate bridge. Hamilton was another local base shuttered by BRAC.

I never heard of any involvement from MINSY, but remember the weapons storage bunkers at the south end of the base. While I was there, we always off-loaded weapons at Alameda before returning to MINSY (our homeport).

Here's the first hit that came up when I checked on their involvement, just to make sure before I posted:

Hunters Point Naval Shipyard — Devon Kelley (devonkelleyimages.com)

CC

Comment

• rwtdiver
                              Vice Admiral
                              • Feb 2019

Just a passing note:

I have been on this forum for 5 years now, and I have build several submarines that I would consider average at best. They would pass muster on structural, but below or even bottom tier as far as the detail work.They are good as long as you standoff 20'.

As I read through this Nautilus SSN 571 build blog I see a tremendous amount of for thought going into the build right off the bat. After 5 years I am starting to UNDERSTAND the importance of all the historical photos and dialogue information that should be studied and can be used in the building of the submarine.

I am really starting to appreciate all the expertise that CC Clark with his superb information, and David M. with his great photos showing his up close building techniques, and all the other others that are taking the time to contribute to this forum. And with this abundance of information it can do nothing but enhance the submarine building experience..

A BIG thank you to all that supply all this great information...

Rob
                              "Firemen can stand the heat."
                              Last edited by rwtdiver; 01-08-2024, 04:05 AM.

Comment

Working...