X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • tifosi12
    Commander
    • Jul 2020

Originally posted by RCSubGuy

BZZZZZTTT! Nope. Wrong. Thanks for playing. Hate to break it to you, but 3D file sales outpace fiberglass boats at least three to one right now, and that gap is only increasing.
    Couldn't agree more. I'm done with fibre glass hulls and trying to convert a plastic model into a R/C sub. Way too hard. I need to be able to edit the 3d files in a way so I can build the model. To me 3D printing is the only way going forward.

Bob, I hope you keep the 3D files available for sale on your website past August 1st.

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
      • Aug 2008

When did the concept of hard become a bad thing; something always to be avoided? What's your sense of accomplishment after the robot poops out your hull?

I'm one of those hopeless romantics who sees reward at the end of the trail marked, hard.

David
      Luddite
      Who is John Galt?

Comment

• RCSubGuy
        Welcome to my underwater realm!
        • Aug 2009

Originally posted by tifosi12

Bob, I hope you keep the 3D files available for sale on your website past August 1st.
        Yes, absolutely. I'm just culling down the mind-numbing, expensive and labor-intensive in-house production items. Just spent 5 hours yesterday knocking out Flying Sub Cylinders. [sarcasm]SO MUCH FUUUUNNNN![/sarcasm]

Comment

• tifosi12
          Commander
          • Jul 2020

Originally posted by He Who Shall Not Be Named
          When did the concept of hard become a bad thing; something always to be avoided? What's your sense of accomplishment after the robot poops out your hull?

I'm one of those hopeless romantics who sees reward at the end of the trail marked, hard.

David
          Luddite
          To each his own.

I actually LOVE the process of editing 3D files online, then print, see how they fit together, make changes and slowly develop a solution. To me that is a creative process. There is no such thing as downloading the 3D files, print them and presto you have boat. Never works that way. Anybody who thinks that, has never actually 3D printed a boat and make it work.

3D printing a static model is a no brainer agreed. But none of the so called ready to print models have ever worked for me. I got several from Oto and one from Bob but they all still need lots of changes. Not because they are flawed but because there might be a different design philosophy behind it (Oto uses vertical cuts, I prefer horizontal ones) or because I want to add more details or use a different dive system etc etc. A 3D file is a good starting but that's about it.

I know you are a master at crafting stuff from scratch in your shop. I have not even a fraction of that talent, skill or time. I have scratch built stuff in the past but only as a last resort and with the arrival of 3d modeling and printing I'm not doing that anymore. That said, a 3D built model still requires a lot of traditional model building skills.

Comment

• rwtdiver
            Vice Admiral
            • Feb 2019

Do not condemn it until you have tried it!

Poop it out! Give me a break. I am really getting sick and tired of those that give 3D printing a bad wrap! If you want to do submarine building "Old School" go for it. But do not condemn those of us that look forword to the use of technology and the manufacturing processes that go along with it.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Alfa Prints.jpg Views:	0 Size:	51.9 KB ID:	172460

Click image for larger version  Name:	Alfa Sections Complete 2.jpg Views:	0 Size:	48.4 KB ID:	172461

Click image for larger version  Name:	Alfa Top Section 2.jpg Views:	0 Size:	60.8 KB ID:	172462

Enough said!!!

Rob
            "Firemen can stand the heat"
            Last edited by rwtdiver; 07-26-2023, 01:57 PM.

Comment

• rwtdiver
              Vice Admiral
              • Feb 2019

Surry I just can't let it go!!

Click image for larger version

Name:	INMOOV 54.jpg
Views:	229
Size:	67.6 KB
ID:	172466

Try manufacturing this :Old School"!!

I do hope Nautilus Drydocks keeps the great STL submarine files coming, because like it or not, 3D Printing will advance the Submarine building hobby FORWARD!

OK! Now I am really done with this subject matter!

Rob
              "Firemen can stand the heat."

Comment

• Subculture
                Admiral
                • Feb 2009

Originally posted by He Who Shall Not Be Named
                When did the concept of hard become a bad thing; something always to be avoided?

I think that is essentially human nature. Save for a few individuals with the drive and enthusiasm to push for something more.

If you make something simpler, you make something more accessible which often increases the numbers, but in turn tends to mean the majority of those in the hobby will be a little less hardcore.

In a nutshell years ago, you had to be able to scratchbuild from raw materials if you wanted a model sub, or at very least a specific model. Kits made it more accessible, early kits were more basic and required more fabrication skills. Injection moulded and vac-formed models made it less expensive, 3d printing has made it cheaper still and also opened up the esoteric subjects that were once the preserve of the few that could scratchbuild.

Comment

• tifosi12
                  Commander
                  • Jul 2020

Originally posted by Subculture

3d printing has made it cheaper still and also opened up the esoteric subjects that were once the preserve of the few that could scratchbuild.
                  Very well put.

I always wanted to build the UFO Skydiver submarine. There once was a fibre "kit" but long gone. But with the advent of 3D models I'm now finally able to realize my dream: So far it is only a surface runner, but hopefully by next summer I have also a diving version.

Name:	IMG_6045.jpg
Views:	237
Size:	56.5 KB
ID:	172500

Comment

• CC Clarke
                    Lieutenant Commander
                    • Aug 2020

For many, TIME is what drives their pursuits. And in this hobby, you have scratch builders, 3D printer makers, and 3D modelers.

3D printing with a decent file that looks good is the easiest and fastest method.

Scratch building has it's own drawbacks and rewards. You'll see model builds here that take years to complete. I understand the satisfaction that can bring.

I've seen 3D submarine files that look like they were carved out of wood with a dull blade and scanned to create a file that isn't worth the printing material.

Re-meshing a crappy file is often more work than starting from scratch if you don't have the source CAD file. The triangles, (all STL and OBJ files are made of triangles) need to be changed to quads and that is pretty time-consuming in itself.

I spend far more time designing than printing; and prior to beginning a design, spend months collecting reference material to ensure accuracy, which can consume a lot of time. Last year, I contacted the wife of the 2nd Nautilus skipper and came up with some useful ref material to insure my model was correct for the time period I was working on.

Too often, I see the same inaccurate "drawings / blueprints" for boats used over and over, because the author failed to verify everything they drew with reference photos and the person using the drawing doesn't know, so the mistake continues in another form. Time-consuming ref drawing verification is pretty much Step 1 when creating submarines, (or anything else for that matter) which are notoriously hard to find decent drawings for.

If I were incarcerated, bed-ridden, or had nothing else going on in my life, I'd be content to create new content all day long. Such is not the case and I doubt I'm alone.

This hobby, (along with many other hands-on pursuits like model railroading) is slowly dying, and without younger blood coming in, will continue to decline.

Forget about making a profit doing this as a full-time business unless you work from home. I haven't seen any US vendors remain profitable as a main source of income. The Subcommittee vendor forum was a graveyard of dead sites. Why? The time required to develop and manufacture products for one, and a declining revenue base are major factors, as stated previously. Wanna pay someone a cut-rate $20 an hour to build hulls? Sorry, the product would be far too expensive. People willing to work for free are a more endangered species than RC submarine enthusiasts.

"Museum Quality", static submarine models made of wood sell for >$1000. They sport few appreciable details, usually a four-color paint job, some decals, and a wooden base with nameplate. Some sit on transverse railroad ties, which I've always though looked sad. Sometimes, the "railroad ties" don't even touch the hull! (The front and rear supports are just for show.)

Here's one example: 1/200 scale Sturgeon for $1355. Sturgeon class submarine (modelshipmaster.com)​ Typical DSRV hatch marking only used for builder's Sea Trials likely included for visual impact since there isn't much else going on. (Submarine paint jobs are notoriously bland anyway.)

How can a shop build larger, RC boats (even 3D printed) at a profit? Only in bulk, with a steady stream of well-heeled customers and labor tossed in for free. Free labor pretty much kills any chance for a viable business of any kind when so much is required.

Selling submarine STL files is one alternative to help defray the cost of the labor used to produce them. Another 3D model vendor sells 3D submarine files that look pretty good, but they charge $800 for a 3D printed version of the file. That's more than the cost of many 3D printers!

IF I could sell 3D printable submarine files at $800 a pop, I might (eventually) turn a profit, but it would take more sales than I think are probable for the amount of time invested to create them. I just don't see a large demand for submarine STL files at that price point in this very specialized hobby. And then you get entitled folks who request the files for free. They would be shocked to learn what a professional modeler's hourly rate can be, in the US. Most movies use modelers in Asia to reduce costs. You get what you pay for and with professional modelers, it is never cheap.

I looked at marketing kits, but there are a limited number of people who could successfully complete a complex resin kit, no matter how well-designed and detailed it is. Reaching those who would they be willing to pay hundreds of dollars for a kit cuts the potential customer numbers even more so.

Bob's announcement wasn't surprising. The first time I saw his expansive, new store/shop he created to support the hobby, my first thought was, "Where are all the customers needed to fund just the infrastructure to support this, much less labor to justify the time?" Expensive, niche hobbies supported as a business are usually relegated to garages, with minimal overhead by passionate people. Passion, however intense doesn't pay the bills.

Business is cold, hard, math at it's core. If you can make enough money doing something you love, you just scored big-time.

I have finally retired and have more time to spend doing submarine CAD design work; so the amount of time/labor I expend has become my hobby. At some point, I may market files, but it would be to major model distributors with huge customer bases to have any chance of getting them downloaded in any appreciable quantity, and there is still no guarantee. Luckily, the number of submarine-experienced, 3D file creators who print is exceedingly small. There is one submariner on Facebook / Meta who prolifically builds models for the price of materials and shipping. Now, that's a guy who loves what he does and has the time to make it happen, without worrying about money. Nice, but exceedingly rare these days.

Like it or not, 3D printing is the only hope this hobby has of surviving and bringing in new converts who are more comfortable with the technology required.​

Comment

• tifosi12
                      Commander
                      • Jul 2020

Good post.

FWIIW: I like CGTRADER.COM for finding files as well as for finding 3D modelers to do a job for me. They often are very reasonably priced because they prefer to maintain the right to sell the model also to other customers (of course negotiable, but always fine by me). Likewise if you think you have what it takes, put your work out there. IMHO TURBOSQUID.COM is the market leader but also has the highest prices. CGTRADER is like #2 but that's often good enough because you find models at lower prices.

Comment

• Aug 2008

Originally posted by CC Clarke
                        For many, TIME is what drives their pursuits. And in this hobby, you have ...
                        No arguments. Hard, true, facts of life. We have all surrendered to electricity.

Suggested reading: One Second After, William R.Forstchen. Stay tuned, sports-fans.

David
                        Luddite

Who is John Galt?

Comment

• roedj
                          Captain
                          • Sep 2008

Bob,

I am writing this in the forum in the belief that others may be interested as well.

What happened / will happen to the 1/96 Small World kits started by Dave Manley? I built the Blueback years ago and loved it. I know DM came out with a fittings kit for your updated version which I;m sure was very nice. But what about the others? I am really interested in the 1/96 Trenchant. Is there any hope for me to acquire such a kit after the "purge"?

Dan
                          Born in Detroit - where the weak are killed and eaten.

Comment

• Aug 2008

Originally posted by roedj
                            Bob,

I am writing this in the forum in the belief that others may be interested as well.

What happened / will happen to the 1/96 Small World kits started by Dave Manley? I built the Blueback years ago and loved it. I know DM came out with a fittings kit for your updated version which I;m sure was very nice. But what about the others? I am really interested in the 1/96 Trenchant. Is there any hope for me to acquire such a kit after the "purge"?

Dan
                            I've put Bob on the trail of a potential buyer of the SWM tooling. We'll see if these wonderful kits ever see the light of day again. Here's hoping! If Ellie and I were still in the game we would buy them in a heartbeat.

Name:	DSCF7179.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	44.3 KB
ID:	172517Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF7167.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	47.5 KB
ID:	172518Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0177.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	49.1 KB
ID:	172519Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0206.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	56.7 KB
ID:	172520Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0223.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	44.0 KB
ID:	172521Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0218.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	47.9 KB
ID:	172522

David
                            Who is John Galt?

Comment

• roedj
                              Captain
                              • Sep 2008

David,

Thanks for the update - here's hoping.

BTW, I love the "trick" of painting through a screen to achieve the tile look. Assuming you have multiple master screens - one for each set of blscked out tiles - do you line up each successive pass with a new master just by eye?

Where did you get the screen?

As always, many thanks for all your help and wisdom over the years. Ellie too - tell her, "Daghang salamat."

Dan
                              Born in Detroit - where the weak are killed and eaten.

Comment

• Aug 2008

Originally posted by roedj
                                David,

Thanks for the update - here's hoping.

BTW, I love the "trick" of painting through a screen to achieve the tile look. Assuming you have multiple master screens - one for each set of blscked out tiles - do you line up each successive pass with a new master just by eye?

Where did you get the screen?

As always, many thanks for all your help and wisdom over the years. Ellie too - tell her, "Daghang salamat."

Dan
                                I made three large 'screen masks'. But one would have done the job. Yes, I line up on the model by eye, spray a section with the mask. Remove the mask; reposition it a bit, and spray again; remove the mask, rotate it or flip it to get a new pattern; reposition and paint again. Keeping at it till I get the same sort of random square look that we see on the actual boats of the class. Got the screen from Lowe's.

Name:	IMG_0216.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	45.6 KB
ID:	172532Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0233.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	50.6 KB
ID:	172533Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0221.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	55.9 KB
ID:	172534Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0222.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	55.5 KB
ID:	172535Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0238.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	35.8 KB
ID:	172536Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0248.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	48.6 KB
ID:	172537Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0264.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	54.9 KB
ID:	172538Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0265.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	53.7 KB
ID:	172539Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0268.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	59.7 KB
ID:	172540

I'll convey that to Ellie the moment I see her.

David

Who is John Galt?

Comment

Working...