• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RCSubGuy
    Welcome to my underwater realm!
    • Aug 2009

Back from Vacation... with unwanted gift

I just got back from vacation.

So... backstory... Renee planned a family trip with her brother's family in order to burn accrued Carnival cruise line points that her mother left them when she died. Not being huge cruise fans, we nonetheless couldn't let a free cruise go to waste, so booked LA to Cabo, Mazatlan and Puerto Vallarta and back. Seven days aboard one of their newest ships.

All in all, the cruise was actually pretty good. Staff was way overworked and showing it, but the ship, amenities and food were great. We stayed aboard at Cabo, as it was a tender stop and not a port. We took the time to relax aboard a nearly empty ship, get some sun and drinks, and just reeeellllaaaxx.

We did tour Mazatlan, as it held some great memories for Renee and her brother as they vacationed there a lot when they were kids. We had a great tour from a local guy in one of those little VW-based open air cabs, had an epic lunch at a local restaurant, and returned well fed and buzzed to the ship.

That's when the ship hit the fan.

Felt off during dinner that night and went to be early. Woke the next day feeling hot and feverish. Renee and Logan went ashore in Puerto Vallarta and brought back a thermometer and some Mexican meds for me. Turns out I was fighting a temp of 103F. Took a COVID test, which was negative, and stayed in bed for the day.

Next day was no better. Still 103 on the thermometer. Logan starts feeling unwell, and so does Mike, Renee's brother. I'm thinking this is a crazy Mexican flu, knowing that the COVID test was negative.

Fast forward to getting home Sunday. I'm still washed out and really light-headed, albeit devoid of a fever. Now Mike's wife and son are sick, too. I take a US-made COVID test and... sure enough.. positive result. No way I can go into the shop with Jason working there. He's got a family to worry about, and a charity Christmas party next weekend. I'm outcast and working from home. Fortunately, I had about 12 hours worth of emails to plow through, so not entirely a bad thing.

Moral of the story, kiddies: COVID ain't over. Stay safe.

Bob
  • He Who Shall Not Be Named
    • Aug 2008

Thank you...CHINA!!!!!
    Who is John Galt?

Comment

• QuarterMaster
      Rear Admiral
      • Sep 2015

Feel better soon.
      FWIW, better to be down than out.

Lost two close friends to it.

v/r "Sub" Ed

Silent Service "Cold War" Veteran (The good years!)
      NEVER underestimate the power of a Sailor who served aboard a submarine.
      USS ULYSSES S GRANT-USS SHARK-USS NAUTILUS-USS KEY WEST-USS BLUEBACK-USS PATRICK HENRY-K432-U25-SSRN SEAVIEW-PROTEUS-NAUTILUS

Comment

• Bob Gato
        Captain
        • Feb 2019

Sorry to hear that Bob. Last October I went to a covid-friendly wedding (everyone had to have a negative covid test to attend).. yeah well it was so covid friendly that three people caught it -myself included... Then of course my wife two days later started feeling bad and it took 3 days for the covid tests to kick in to where they said positive... Neither of us ever had a fever...If it's any consolation there was only two somewhat bad days and after the first symptom within five days everybody was better... within five more days the PCR tests were negative..... Good freaking thing because we were on our way to France at that point.. crazy world!... Feel better admiral!

Comment

• rwtdiver
          Vice Admiral
          • Feb 2019

Originally posted by RCSubGuy
          I just got back from vacation.

So... backstory... Renee planned a family trip with her brother's family in order to burn accrued Carnival cruise line points that her mother left them when she died. Not being huge cruise fans, we nonetheless couldn't let a free cruise go to waste, so booked LA to Cabo, Mazatlan and Puerto Vallarta and back. Seven days aboard one of their newest ships.

All in all, the cruise was actually pretty good. Staff was way overworked and showing it, but the ship, amenities and food were great. We stayed aboard at Cabo, as it was a tender stop and not a port. We took the time to relax aboard a nearly empty ship, get some sun and drinks, and just reeeellllaaaxx.

We did tour Mazatlan, as it held some great memories for Renee and her brother as they vacationed there a lot when they were kids. We had a great tour from a local guy in one of those little VW-based open air cabs, had an epic lunch at a local restaurant, and returned well fed and buzzed to the ship.

That's when the ship hit the fan.

Felt off during dinner that night and went to be early. Woke the next day feeling hot and feverish. Renee and Logan went ashore in Puerto Vallarta and brought back a thermometer and some Mexican meds for me. Turns out I was fighting a temp of 103F. Took a COVID test, which was negative, and stayed in bed for the day.

Next day was no better. Still 103 on the thermometer. Logan starts feeling unwell, and so does Mike, Renee's brother. I'm thinking this is a crazy Mexican flu, knowing that the COVID test was negative.

Fast forward to getting home Sunday. I'm still washed out and really light-headed, albeit devoid of a fever. Now Mike's wife and son are sick, too. I take a US-made COVID test and... sure enough.. positive result. No way I can go into the shop with Jason working there. He's got a family to worry about, and a charity Christmas party next weekend. I'm outcast and working from home. Fortunately, I had about 12 hours worth of emails to plow through, so not entirely a bad thing.

Moral of the story, kiddies: COVID ain't over. Stay safe.

Bob
          WOW! Sorry you had to go through the Covid! I am happy you are feeling better!

My wife and I are just getting over the COVID as well! We both stayed locked up for 3 years and made it through. We had a neighbor that made a quick visit, and bam with-in two days we both tested positive for Covid. I am sure glad we had the shots and the boosters, or it could have been bad situation. We tested Negative two days ago and all is well again except for minor coughs!

Covid is not gone yet people that is for sure. And I am very sure we are going to have a real tough late fall and winter dealing with the Covid and this Flu strain that has raised its ugly head! Everyone be careful out there, take a few precautions and be safe!!

Rob

Comment

• goshawk823
            Lieutenant Commander
            • Oct 2010

That sucks Bob. I hope you (or your family) don’t suffer any long term effects. Feel better soon, Both my wife an I have ur flus hots and latest boosters, and we still mask up when we go to the grocery store, or a big box store. Flu and RV are bad here as well.
            Sam
            Last edited by goshawk823; 11-29-2022, 09:40 PM.

Comment

• Junkyness
              Ensign
              • Oct 2023

It's really unfortunate that your vacation had to take such a harsh turn. It must've been especially surprising considering you tested negative on the ship.
              It's a stark reminder that even as things appear to get better in many parts of the world, COVID-19 is still lurking. Your story underscores the need for all of us to remain vigilant and cautious, even while on vacation. For those who are planning future travels, it might be worth checking out some health and safety travel tips from https://sicomono.com/, just to stay updated on how best to protect yourself and your family during trips.​
              Last edited by Junkyness; 10-10-2023, 07:08 AM.

Comment

Working...