Plastic model fittings kits - Take the poll!

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RCSubGuy
    Welcome to my underwater realm!
    • Aug 2009

Plastic model fittings kits - Take the poll!

Dave and I get it all the time... crying, yelling and gnashing of teeth. "Why, oh why won't you sell me fittings kits for my plastic model kit?"

First off, and I don't know how many times I've said this, you DO NOT need a fitting kit to build the plastic models into functional boats. You need a modicum of skill and mechanical aptitude. That's it. All the fittings kit does is make it faster and more convenient.

Now, having said that, I can see the attraction. I've talked it over with Dave, and we're considering re-launching the fittings kit, but in truncated form, containing the essential parts to convert the boats. This will keep the price more reasonable and allow for production.

That said, where does everyone see the need falling. Let's see what you think! Pick your TOP three kits that you feel would most benefit from having a fittings kit available. Poll closes in a week!
    Revell Type VII
    45.45%
    Revell Type IX
    45.45%
    1/72 Skipjack (Moebius, etc)
    45.45%
    Bronco Type XXIII
    63.64%
    Trumpeter Seawolf
    36.36%
    Revell Gato
    18.18%
    Moebius Seaview
    0%

The poll is expired.

Last edited by RCSubGuy; 04-22-2020, 03:56 AM.
  • He Who Shall Not Be Named
    • Aug 2008

Excellent, Boss. Here's a suggestion: post the likely retail on those fittings kits. That should temper their enthusiasm -- give you and me a better feel on how many of these guys would actually plunk down the cash for the product. Any idiot can fill out a wish list; the more rational will do a want/expense examination before blissfully filling out your survey.

Let the blood-shed begin!

David
    Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Rick Teskey
      Lieutenant Commander
      • Jan 2009

Why not have then scanned ( if that is cheaper than retooling and production) then the almighty plastic spewing godless machine can mass produce them while you sleep or you sell files then the makers of the world can print their own and leave you guys be?

Comment

• rwtdiver
        Vice Admiral
        • Feb 2019

I have put three boats in the water since getting into this hobby, and none of them had any type of linkage kits. I just assumed that this was part of the building experience> You break-out some copper, and brass sheets along with some solid brass rod and tubing, and of course a good soldering iron and small torch and go to it. To me this is what makes this our hobby. If the fitting kits are available, then I would consider using them.

Rob

"Firemen can take the heat"

Comment

• rwtdiver
          Vice Admiral
          • Feb 2019

I have a question that may lend itself well to this blog?"Fabricating your own yokes" When soldering the brass rod to the collars, what solder and flux do most of you like to use, and are you using a very hot iron or the small butane torch?

Thank for the input!

Rob

"Firemen can stand the heat"

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
            • Aug 2008

Originally posted by rwtdiver
            I have a question that may lend itself well to this blog?"Fabricating your own yokes" When soldering the brass rod to the collars, what solder and flux do most of you like to use, and are you using a very hot iron or the small butane torch?

Thank for the input!

Rob

60/40 solid solder, acid flux, butane torch.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0104.JPG
Views:	338
Size:	64.8 KB
ID:	138259Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0107.JPG
Views:	326
Size:	71.0 KB
ID:	138260Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0111.JPG
Views:	305
Size:	68.8 KB
ID:	138261Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0121.JPG
Views:	318
Size:	41.7 KB
ID:	138262Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0123.JPG
Views:	323
Size:	65.3 KB
ID:	138263Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF5137.JPG
Views:	329
Size:	49.6 KB
ID:	138264
            Who is John Galt?

Comment

• rwtdiver
              Vice Admiral
              • Feb 2019

Gotcha! Thank you very much for you response David! Your sure do nice work!!

Rob

Comment

• RCSubGuy
                Welcome to my underwater realm!
                • Aug 2009

I just added the Revell Gato and Moebius Seaview to the poll. Sorry for initial ommission.

Comment

• type7
                  Lieutenant Commander
                  • Apr 2009

I need to change my vote now! The fittings kits for the Gato and Seaview have parts that are much more difficult to fabricate than the other kits. Glad I I got them when they were around.

Comment

• Das Boot
                    Rear Admiral
                    • Dec 2019

They save a lot of scratch building.
                    Last edited by Das Boot; 04-29-2020, 04:32 PM.
                    Of the 40,000 men who served on German submarines, 30,000 never returned.”

Comment

Working...