1/96 ScaleShips Oscar II

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HardRock
    replied
    Hurrah. Glad to hear it. I'd like to see some photographs of it running again. Mine suffered a catastrophic decompression at about a metre down. Looks like a battery in the forward compartment started to gas and blew off the end caps. VERY exciting. Apart from two digital servos and a receiver, its all OK. I'll put it back together over the winter.

Leave a comment:

• greenman407
    replied
    So Hardrock, hows the Oscar coming along? Im getting ready to pull mine back down off the shelf and begin again.

Leave a comment:

• HardRock
    replied
    I didn't know that "protrusing" was a word. Maybe its protruding.

Leave a comment:

• HardRock
    replied
    Meanwhile, I am determined to get the forward plane retract system working reliably. So I pulled all the old set up out and started again. On testing I discovered a small leak in the gear pump and a bit of weeping around the tray fixing bolts. Rather than run bolts through the bulkhead again, I decided to fix the internals using a press fit ring with everything fixed to that. Looks like this:
    Click image for larger version

Name:	P1000979.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	25.8 KB
ID:	111262

The ring sits flush with the internal face of the bulkhead. Its quite tight but it will also have a dowl somewhere along the rim that will locate it in the right orientation.

Name:	P1000980.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	28.5 KB
ID:	111263

I added a mount for the gear pump that drives the periscope system.

Name:	P1000983.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	32.6 KB
ID:	111264

The tray that mounts the linear servo slots into two cut outs on either side of the ring.

Name:	P1000984.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	27.4 KB
ID:	111265

And the whole thing goes into the front dry space with the back end of the linear servo protrusing into a new water tight extension through the intermediate bulkhead.

Name:	P1000982.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	25.7 KB
ID:	111266

Leave a comment:

• HardRock
    replied
    Back to the drawing board - literaly. The lever actuator can't generate enough force to seat the O ring consistently. Might have to go to some kind of screw closure to get enough force.

Leave a comment:

• HardRock
    replied
    Originally posted by redboat219
    Can you post photos of the test rig?
    Dis da ting. Its just a small ballast tank with the standard control arm. The test valve is RTV'd to the top so that I can rip it off and fit another one relatively quickly.Click image for larger version

Name:	P1000976.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	40.8 KB
ID:	111119

Leave a comment:

• redboat219
    replied
    👽👻Happy Halloween💀🎃

Leave a comment:

• redboat219
    replied
    Can you post photos of the test rig?

Leave a comment:

• HardRock
    replied
    Just came in from the pool, because there is an actual thunderstorme overhead. In any case the rig worked quite well. It vents very enthusiastically and seals with minimum pressure on the base of the shaft. Time to be brave and chop a hole in the top of the Oscar SD and try it for real.

Leave a comment:

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
    replied
    Originally posted by HardRock
    Doing some pool tests this afternoon with a modified test rig. Beware tampering with the Dragon's designs. I'm keeing a sparp lookout for thunderbolts and lightening - whilst half expecting to hear the deep, rumbling voice of HWSNBN between the thunder claps saying, "You people; I give you perfection and you keep ****ing with it"!

Naw .... you're right to ***** about that vent valve I designed. Though improved over the years, it remains the Achilles heel of the SD. Carry on, good sirs ... if you bums come up with something I like, I'm gonna steal it!

M

Leave a comment:

• HardRock
    replied
    Doing some pool tests this afternoon with a modified test rig. Beware tampering with the Dragon's designs. I'm keeing a sparp lookout for thunderbolts and lightening - whilst half expecting to hear the deep, rumbling voice of HWSNBN between the thunder claps saying, "You people; I give you perfection and you keep ****ing with it"!

Leave a comment:

• greenman407
    replied
    Carry on sir. I had similar troubles. Mine would vent but took a great deal of time, partly due to my requesting an especially large ballast tank. I took off the top of the valve and drilled it out, I think a full 1/16" bigger in diameter. BOY it vented then!

Leave a comment:

• HardRock
    replied
    I've had a problem with the vent valve in the Oscar taking a long time to vent the tank. Seems like there's so much back pressure in there that the flap valve does not want to release. So I've been working on a simple O ring valve that will give me a good seal and is easy to replace. The inner stem is solid brass and I'm hoping that it will open the valve under its own weight. We'll see.

Oh, and I did indulge in the work of the devil and print the valve spacer and housing.

Name:	P1000968.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	43.2 KB
ID:	111077Click image for larger version

Name:	P1000967.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	34.1 KB
ID:	111081Click image for larger version

Name:	P1000969.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	91.6 KB
ID:	111079Click image for larger version

Name:	P1000970.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	41.3 KB
ID:	111080
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• HardRock
    replied
    I stand corrected..... different croc.

Leave a comment:

• Davidh
    replied
    I think that's actually pat drakes U-995 type 7C.

Dave h

Leave a comment:

Working...