1/96 ScaleShips Oscar II

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HardRock
    replied
    The post is doweled to the hull. Its semi-permanent, meaning that that I can get it out if I have enough will power and the correctly sized hammer. I have to admit that I'm at the "stare and conjure" stage of this build. There are so many possibilities and so much space to work in. I purchased some insulin syringes yesterday ($29.00 for 100!!) which will act as the rams for the periscopes and it occurred to me that I could use these these things all over the boat to open and close all kinds of things.

Back to reality. This is the fore plane retract mechanism. It came with the kit and is very nicely built and reminds me of the Engle unit in one of my other boats. It suffer some damage on the way to Australia (the solder connecting the plane axles broke away from the connecting plates) so I had to replace the steel axles with brass ones for a more secure connection.

Click image for larger version

Name:	P5120213.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	92.4 KB
ID:	98517Click image for larger version

Name:	P5120214.jpg
Size:	92.1 KB
ID:	98518

Leave a comment:

• bwi 971
    replied
    Just learned another one......that’s well engineered......can't wait to see were you gonna put Miss Russia on it.

The post runs thru the hull or did you work with doweled pins to secure it?

Grtz,
    Bart

Leave a comment:

• Peter W
    replied
    Blimey Scott, that thing not wet yet.....I like the common vertical post for the rear planes/ rudder etc. A lot more room in the back of that than in the Akula.

Peter

Leave a comment:

• HardRock
    replied
    Good News!!! I have my camera cable back. The attached arsehole returned today with it. Hurrah.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0860.jpg
Size:	91.1 KB
ID:	98496

Leave a comment:

• HardRock
    replied
    Added the rear planes control rod and bell crank. All done.Click image for larger version

Name:	P5100214.jpg
Size:	96.2 KB
ID:	98495

Leave a comment:

• HardRock
    replied
    Today I fitted the rudder control mechanism, (sounds fancy considering its three bits of brass and a few tubes!) and the shafts. Waiting on some bits from Mr Caswell for finish up the tail end before I go onto the main hull. Click image for larger version

Name:	P5100214.jpg
Size:	96.8 KB
ID:	98493Click image for larger version

Name:	P5100214 2.jpg
Size:	91.9 KB
ID:	98494

Leave a comment:

• HardRock
    replied
    Fixed the props and end caps with epoxy resin (and a mechanical pin). These suckers are not getting lost!

Name:	P5050219.jpg
Size:	91.2 KB
ID:	98419

Leave a comment:

• HardRock
    replied
    Propellor shafts are in. These are Engel 4mm shafts with teflon bearings at the tail and nylon at the bulkhead.

Name:	P5050213.jpg
Size:	94.9 KB
ID:	98418

Leave a comment:

• HardRock
    replied
    Spent the afternoon figuring out the control mechanism for the rear planes and (three) rudders. I didn't have any ready made control horns so I modified these servo horns to fit the 3mm shafts. Seems to be quite secure and works OK. Onward!

Name:	P5030214.jpg
Size:	96.6 KB
ID:	98398

Leave a comment:

• HardRock
    replied
    Same LEDs as the Akula but this one will have seven or eight of them. I've ordered a new SD which will sit low in the hull (according to Kevin's advice) and that should leave enough room to get at least some of the scopes working.

Leave a comment:

• Peter W
    replied
    Very nice Scott, are these the same LEDs as on the Akula ? How many do you plan putting on ? I imagine from the size of the kit and looking at Mark's build log that you could go to town detailing this thing. Important question have you the room to put in working scopes ? Especially Cod Eye.

Peter

Leave a comment:

• HardRock
    replied
    Lights, camera, action!Click image for larger version

Name:	P4270213.jpg
Size:	88.9 KB
ID:	98303

Leave a comment:

• HardRock
    replied
    Fitted the rear planes today. I've decided to complete the rear cone as much as possible before mating it to the main hull. The model is so large that doing it the other way around would have been extremely awkward, not to mention too large to fit on my bench.

Name:	P4260213.jpg
Size:	86.4 KB
ID:	98291

Leave a comment:

• HardRock
    replied
    Pushy, pushy, pushy. Show us your Akula why don't ya!

Leave a comment:

• Peter W
    replied
    Well, what a nice surprise a thread on an Oscar.....didn't see that coming.

Can't wait for more work on this and eventually one of your paint jobs.

Peter

Leave a comment:

Working...