LOS ANGELES class Sub on Scale 1/81 (I thnik?)

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • profesorul
    Lieutenant
    • Mar 2010

HI ,

Only small update :

at the beginning was "the Light"

but fast the Darkness was coming :

And I had to make another set :

MARIUS

Comment

• profesorul
      Lieutenant
      • Mar 2010

To day I had some time to add these small rings to Ventilation Holes on the upper hull :

MARIUS

Comment

• redboat219
        Admiral
        • Dec 2008

just want to share, another great alternative to those aluminum pop rivets would be brass eyelets from craft stores.The come in variety of sizes and textures.
        Make it simple, make strong, make it work!

Comment

• trout
          Admiral
          • Jul 2011

Marius,
          Those vent openings can be used to get air, that could be trapped, out. Using rivets will reduce or prevent air from being released. It may not be important on the LA sub, but it was useful on the Skipjack.
          Peace,
          tom
          If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• trout
            Admiral
            • Jul 2011

Originally posted by profesorul
            I can't enlarge them !!! .
            Do You have a external Link where can see them BIG ?.
            I'm wearing glasses !!!.

THANK YOU ,

MARIUS
            Marius, Clicking on the photo does not open up a larger picture?
            If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• profesorul
              Lieutenant
              • Mar 2010

@ trou

NOPE ! ,

MARIUS

Comment

• profesorul
                Lieutenant
                • Mar 2010

Originally posted by trout
                Marius,
                Those vent openings can be used to get air, that could be trapped, out. Using rivets will reduce or prevent air from being released. It may not be important on the LA sub, but it was useful on the Skipjack.
                Peace,
                tom
                You are right , but the lenght of the rivets is less than the thickness of the upper hull so the air is gonna run out faster like usual .

MARIUS

Comment

• Peter W
                  Captain
                  • May 2011

Echoing Tom's suggestion for use as a working vent, if you cut the rivet directly under the flanged part so it is in effect a washer them re-drill the hole to 1/8" (3.2mm) it will work most efficiently. Water will be able to flow through the hole and that way you have the knowledge that you are chasing the air out. Just have to then glue the rivet head to the hull.

Also I would personally rebate them a tiny amount into the hull.

Peter
                  Last edited by Peter W; 04-06-2015, 01:58 PM. Reason: I am an idiot

Comment

• profesorul
                    Lieutenant
                    • Mar 2010

Originally posted by Peter W
                    Echoing Tom's suggestion for use as a working vent, if you cut the rivet directly under the flanged part so it is in effect a washer them re-drill the hole to 1/8" (3.2mm) it will work most efficiently. Water will be able to flow through the hole and that way you have the knowledge that you are chasing the air out. Just have to then glue the rivet head to the hull.

Also I would personally rebate them a tiny amount into the hull.

Peter
                    I think I wheel tray these to see how it works / looks .
                    Thanks for the tip .

MARIUS

Comment

• profesorul
                      Lieutenant
                      • Mar 2010

PETER ,

I want to follow your advice but do not have the drill column and / or milling .....
                      I have hand drilling machine with simple drill bits and they make the bottom of the hole sharp .....
                      for the rivets I need to do a flat base hole ....

I hope You'll understand what I mean to say .

MARIUS

Comment

• Peter W
                        Captain
                        • May 2011

Marius,

Easiest way to do it is if you have a rivet gun. Drill a hole into a scrap piece of metal the size of the rivet, then fit and pop the rivet then slowly and steadily with a drill bit slightly bigger than the rivets hole drill the head off. It will probably get stuck on the bit but just reverse the drill whilst holding it with pliers.

Peter
                        Last edited by Peter W; 04-06-2015, 04:00 PM. Reason: I am an idiot

Comment

• trout
                          Admiral
                          • Jul 2011

@ trou

NOPE ! ,

MARIUS
                          O.k., do you have pop-ups blocked on your browser? The screen that comes up when you click on the photo could be considered a pop-up. Usually under preferences, but if you tell me the browser, I might be able to guide you.

Comment

• profesorul
                            Lieutenant
                            • Mar 2010

Originally posted by Peter W
                            Marius,

Easiest way to do it is if you have a rivet gun. Drill a hole into a scrap piece of metal the size of the rivet, then fit and pop the rivet then slowly and steadily with a drill bit slightly bigger than the rivets hole drill the head off. It will probably get stuck on the bit but just reverse the drill whilst holding it with pliers.

Peter
                            Aha , I see what You mean . At the end of these operation it's gonna be a small Aluminum Ring . But is gonna be Very Difficult to glue such small surface 1-1,5mm wide !.

MARIUS

Comment

• profesorul
                              Lieutenant
                              • Mar 2010

Originally posted by trout
                              O.k., do you have pop-ups blocked on your browser? The screen that comes up when you click on the photo could be considered a pop-up. Usually under preferences, but if you tell me the browser, I might be able to guide you.
                              The problem is like these :
                              - when I am on Forum , I make the first click looks like these :

After the second click on the same picture looks like these :

After I download on comp and I tray to open looks like these:

- after I download those pictures , my goal was to print them , to have them in front of my eyes when I did the piece , that's way I need them large .

THANK YOU for Your efforts to help me ,

MARIUS

Comment

• Peter W
                                Captain
                                • May 2011

Aha , I see what You mean . At the end of these operation it's gonna be a small Aluminum Ring . But is gonna be Very Difficult to glue such small surface 1-1,5mm wide !.

MARIUS
                                CA applied with a toothpick job done, adding a slight rebate will help contain the glue, look on any static modelling site at the 1/700 scale photoetched parts and gluing those rivets will look simple.

Peter

Comment

Working...