Detail Nut of the First Order
    • Sep 2010

Hatch and cable-tensioner time!!!!

Click image for larger version

Name:	P1160379_zpsdkpondus.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	94.9 KB
ID:	112421

This is my version of the japanese class A cable-tensioner, i made it static, those threads are soldered tight, the shackels are functional with a M 1 bolt.

Name:	P1160382_zpsdx4a7aqs.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	84.2 KB
ID:	112422

A make-shift rigg with some cable to show how it will be fastened to the hull.

Name:	archive_conningtower.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	26.8 KB
ID:	112423

Used this picture as reference for the cable-tensioner, there are more shackels, but i don't want to overcomplicate this contraption.

Name:	P1230393_zpsxf8m0kmb.jpg
Views:	194
Size:	54.1 KB
ID:	112424

Also made me a boat-stand, most usefull to shove the boat around and to keep it safe from the cat.

Name:	P1230389_zpshj5ppvut.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	85.1 KB
ID:	112425

Made the hatch the same way as my XVIIb, used CBP board as the base material, hinges are from the stock i have.

Name:	P1230390_zpsxoonypkf.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	51.4 KB
ID:	112426

From pictures i know the hatch is slightly recessed, used a cardboard template to imitate that, found out another thing, it seems that the hatch on a Class A hinges towards the bow, and at the B Class it hinges towards the stern, have several pictures from both types and this caught my attention.
    There was also a removed area on top of the tower in front of the hatch, this way allowing the hatch to open more as 90 degrees.

Name:	ffc18_evhistorypix027685-831x1024.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	39.1 KB
ID:	112427

If you look closely you can see that removed piece, just in front of the sailor standing on the tower, it seems they removed the entire hatch during the salvage.

Name:	P1240394_zpsdz6zwz7w.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	82.6 KB
ID:	112428

It can be opened, made a poor imitation of the locking device to secure the hatch, it will do untill i find a good picture from the hatch itself.

Manfred.
    I went underground

Comment

• greenman407
      Admiral
      • Feb 2009

Attaboy Manfred! I know you love a challenge, and this boats a challenge for sure.
      IT TAKES GREAT INTELLIGENCE TO FAKE SUCH STUPIDITY!

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
        • Aug 2008

Now, this! .... THIS is model-building!

M
        Who is John Galt?

Comment

• greenman407
          Admiral
          • Feb 2009

Thats why he refers to himself as a "detail NUT of the first order"

Comment

• MFR1964
            • Sep 2010

Watch it Mark!!, or i'll start up the lightning generator, have fresh angelwing anodes installed.<br />
            <br />
            Manfred.
            I went underground

Comment

• greenman407
              Admiral
              • Feb 2009

HA! You and David both

Comment

• MFR1964
                • Sep 2010

You really want play that annoying mortal, don't you, Finish your XXIII !!!!!!<br />
                <br />
                Manfred.
                I went underground

Comment

• greenman407
                  Admiral
                  • Feb 2009

Absolutely your Worship! When you get a moment sir.............would you check on my latest update on the 23 and give me your appraisal?

Comment

• Von Hilde
                    Rear Admiral
                    • Oct 2011

Wonderful job on thr turnbuckle and hatch. I made a large wheel on mine, but can't remember wher I got the idea for being large. Possibly a photo, but, after reading some documents on the type A, reguarding the 5 Pearl Harbor boats. Their hatches were secured by the crew from inside, and there was no outside access. Both tower and under the hull escape hatches had large wheels on the inside, I believe because the picture I have of a lower hatch open has the large circumference wheel. I will look for the picture, but I won't be changing mine, I don't think. After looking at your tensioner, I may modify mine to look more authentic. Still haven't had much time to model yet this winter. I don't have much to do to complete the ha19, as far as detailing. Still have to redo the controls for the rudder and dive planes, and one more prop to build. That is right after I finish the guest bathroom and laundry room. Be nice working in small scale again. Big stuff takes a toll on my old body, now days, and hiring a kid to do the heavy stuff, is just ridiculous.

Comment

• MFR1964
                      • Sep 2010

Thanks Von,

If there was no wheel-hatch on the outside, i will remove that to be more scale accurate.
                      I do have a picture from the lower escape hatch in the open position, it would be logical if there is no wheel on the outside, this would pick up all sorts of rubbish instead of being part of the hull.

Mandred.
                      Last edited by MFR1964; 02-02-2016, 02:11 PM.
                      I went underground

Comment

• Von Hilde
                        Rear Admiral
                        • Oct 2011

Name:	image_31316.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	51.1 KB
ID:	112484 Click image for larger version

Name:	image_31315.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	44.6 KB
ID:	112483 On the Ha 19' the flush hatch was welded shut for safety measures to keep people out during its display years. In 1962' the first time I saw it they were operational, and I went inside to look around.. The pictures that Dave sent me with Genes drawings were taken in the 80s with Commander Lynn Baughman's measurements for the Wings model, have a POV of the top of the tower looking aft. Hatch is welded shut at this time. Pictures of the type A ha9 recovered in the 60s open hatch with smooth top. Note the numbers and hash marks under the barnacles, and the size of thr font in scale. Almost like the display mock up but smaller.
                        Last edited by Von Hilde; 02-02-2016, 02:12 PM.

Comment

• MFR1964
                          • Sep 2010

Von,

I also have the second picture with the open hatch, time to get the cuttingdisk out, gonna cut the outside wheel off !!!
                          That escape hatch underneath, any idea if it was present on the Class A, the picture i have is from the Koryu type, and the position on the hull, don't know if you can see that on your model.

Manfred.
                          I went underground

Comment

• Von Hilde
                            Rear Admiral
                            • Oct 2011

I have a picture of a koryu being lifted up wit a salvage crane. Both hatches open. The lower hatch appears to be hinged aft, so when open, it acts as a scoop and would flood the boat quickly, one would think. especially if in forward motion. Assuming the Ko Hyo had the same design. Actual position of the lower hatch on the A type, was just below the pilots position, most likely directly in line with the tower hatch. I had to e mail you the picture of the starboard side of ha9 with the graphics and labeling of parts of the picture. In the koryu picture the lower hatch appears to be slight more aft of the upper as well. I actually slept under the Ha 19 close to the hatch back in 62' Sleep is a kinder word than passed out from drinking warm beer in the hot tropicle sun, as an 18 yr old sailor, so the memory may be slightly fogged. I Do remember there was one though.. I could try to contact the Museum curator, and ask if we could have someone look, and possibly get a foto.
                            Last edited by Von Hilde; 02-02-2016, 02:59 PM.

Comment

• MFR1964
                              • Sep 2010

Von,

Contacting the museum is a good idea, give it a go please, a picture from the hatch underneat would be great, and maybe some measurements for size and location.

Manfred.
                              I went underground

Comment

• Von Hilde
                                Rear Admiral
                                • Oct 2011

Sent the an e mail requesting fotos and measurements just now. We will see what happens. I have an invitation from the display curator to go after hours or before they open to take pictures and measurements. I just haven had the opertunity to go to Texas yet. I would love to have you and Dave along when I go. Just waiting for the Power Ball to hit, and just buy the thing and get It running.

Comment

Working...