Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SSN SonarTech
    Lieutenant Commander
    • Jul 2012

Well I am not impress with my ability to do the hull cuts. Filler and I will become one
    US Submarine Force: Making the Navy worthwhile since 1900

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
      • Aug 2008

Originally posted by SSN SonarTech
      Well I am not impress with my ability to do the hull cuts. Filler and I will become one

What the hell did you cut that with .... fireworks?!!!!!!

Don't make me come over there!

M
      Who is John Galt?

Comment

• trout
        Admiral
        • Jul 2011

Not so bad.....very fixable. You can melt styrene in liquid glue and apply it like a putty along one side of the cut to fill in or use a bondo type filler to help fill in. Then use a metal gauge (feeler gauge), thin shim, or x-acto knife to create the line for separation. You will get there.
        If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• SSN SonarTech
          Lieutenant Commander
          • Jul 2012

David I think using C-4 would have done a better job! Live and learn will be better next boat. I will give the melted styrene trick first that sound slick. I know it a little early but what about paint. I understand decanting a rattle can and might try that as I get my nerve up, Trout what did you use for paint on your skipjack. Will be 1st time using a air gun. Lots of first here but you have to start sometime.. Thanks

Comment

• Aug 2008

David I think using C-4 would have done a better job! Live and learn will be better next boat. I will give the melted styrene trick first that sound slick. I know it a little early but what about paint. I understand decanting a rattle can and might try that as I get my nerve up, Trout what did you use for paint on your skipjack. Will be 1st time using a air gun. Lots of first here but you have to start sometime.. Thanks
            The Krylon paints have merit. I use professional automotive, two-part polyurethane (ChromaColor) paints. At the very least get a Paasche H-model single-action gun and a gallon of Nason primer and the right thinner for it (Mattos is in town, off Wichduck and VB blvd.).
            Who is John Galt?

Comment

• trout
              Admiral
              • Jul 2011

I
              Trout what did you use for paint on your skipjack. Will be 1st time using a air gun. Lots of first here but you have to start sometime.. Thanks
              (Whispering) Do not let He Who Shall Not Be Named aka M hear this, but I used rattle can paint, Krylon, and sprayed out of the can. Primer was also out of the can. If you decant your paint, please document that. I have not done that yet. Yes there are a lot of firsts and they continue to occur.
              Really excited about the work you are doing and the fact you are documenting it too. Someone in the future will be looking for guidance and use your build!
              If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• Aug 2008

WHAT!?!!!.....

Blasphemy!

I lecture you; I buy you books; I train you .... and what do you do? You eat the ****ing teacher!

Rattle-can. Indeed!

M
                Last edited by He Who Shall Not Be Named; 10-06-2015, 03:41 PM.
                Who is John Galt?

Comment

• bwi 971
                  Captain
                  • Jan 2015

Originally posted by trout
                  I
                  (Whispering) Do not let He Who Shall Not Be Named aka M hear this, but I used rattle can paint, Krylon, and sprayed out of the can. Primer was also out of the can. If you decant your paint, please document that. I have not done that yet. Yes there are a lot of firsts and they continue to occur.
                  Really excited about the work you are doing and the fact you are documenting it too. Someone in the future will be looking for guidance and use your build!
                  I did it as per Hephaestus instructions.....instead of a nail I used a drywall screw....they have a very sharp point and are hardened.
                  You need a LONG jar, the process is accompanied with a lot of foam build up in the jar,
                  I was lucky the rattle can was almost empty.

Remarkably a few hours later my beloved wife noticed that a red dot had appeared in the lawn…..my proposal to do the hole lawn was rejected…..and from then on long jars appear from time to time on my table in the basement…....she’s the best!

I decanted the paint two months ago and it's still good.

Grtz,
                  Bart

Click image for larger version

Name:	Akula (288).jpg
Views:	113
Size:	49.1 KB
ID:	110549
                  Practical wisdom is only to be learned in the school of experience.
                  "Samuel Smiles"

Comment

• SSN SonarTech
                    Lieutenant Commander
                    • Jul 2012

Cool Thanks

Comment

• SSN SonarTech
                      Lieutenant Commander
                      • Jul 2012

I have the z cut made and the flanges on the hull pieces. I am having trouble with the alignment, I am going to put tabs on the upper hull portion. I have noticed the people have ground down the alignment pins. I think this is what is keeping me from getting the hull to close. Should I grind down the pins? the female end?
                      Last edited by SSN SonarTech; 10-17-2015, 09:42 AM.

Comment

• trout
                        Admiral
                        • Jul 2011

Pins? What pins? You probably have pictures of them in an earlier post and I am sorry if I missed that.

Comment

• SSN SonarTech
                          Lieutenant Commander
                          • Jul 2012

The guide pins along the both the top hull and bottom half of the hull to align it as it goes together. You can see four of them in this picture there are two right at the hull break also

Comment

• SSN SonarTech
                            Lieutenant Commander
                            • Jul 2012

in greenman407's post #366 of his skipjack build http://forum.sub-driver.com/forum/bu...ck-1-72/page25 . It show where he put the forward piece of the preformed foam kit. It looks like this would block the 1st 2 pairs of MBT vents. Do you just drill the vents on thru the foam after it is in place or ?

Thanks Steve

Comment

• SSN SonarTech
                              Lieutenant Commander
                              • Jul 2012

This is what I mean

Comment

• SSN SonarTech
                                Lieutenant Commander
                                • Jul 2012

Picture of progress being made. Grinding down the guide pins made hull align just fine

Comment

Working...