X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • HvyCGN9
    Lieutenant Commander
    • Jan 2013

Revell 1/72 Skipjack class USS Shark SSN591

Now that I have all the required parts (except for the on/off switch....) I began the construction process back in December (using the other superb build threads as a reference source) taking my time only doing small bits of build at once. Normally I could build a plastic kit with this number of parts in short order, but as this one is going to be RC'd some patience is required.

I noted some of the builds have had issues with a gap along the hull separation, I decided to do the hull assembly in one hit....

Step1: Was a trip to the hardware store for a 110cm by 29cm Melamine board (which will become the base of the Shark's travel box later on),

Step2: Following Dave's instructions assembled the four hull sections upper an lower side by side on the board, but rather than leave them to cure on the board I put taped grease paper across the center hull area and attached upper hull (no glue!!) taping it and using rubber bands, this way they will cure mated exactly together...

Step3: left for 48hours due to work (to tired to do anything....better to leave it than stuff it up!) Removed tape and bands and got nice close fit all along hull.

here are some pics..

Bruce
    Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0556a1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	78.2 KB
ID:	103032Click image for larger version

Name:	various boat pix 001.jpg
Size:	88.0 KB
ID:	103033Click image for larger version

Name:	various boat pix 002.jpg
Size:	89.7 KB
ID:	103034
    Last edited by HvyCGN9; 02-07-2014, 08:16 PM. Reason: canna find rest of me pix!!
  • trout
    Admiral
    • Jul 2011

That was smart move Bruce! Look forward to your build.
    If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• HvyCGN9
      Lieutenant Commander
      • Jan 2013

Thx Mate,

At this stage the hull halves have had the join filled and sanded, countersunk the screw holes and several weeks ago etched primed the prop and painted it.

done a little bit more this morning. Ground out the channel in the sub driver foundation for the removal of the shock mechanism. Too hot now 42deg C outside and about 32 in my workroom (and 44 in the shed....)

Going to ask Chris (Oztruck) where he got the magnetic switch he used in his I-25 I want to be able to switch the Sub off without having to undo screws all the time (and sometimes you need to be able to turn off a model fast!)

Cheers Bruce

searching for beer..... searching.....

PS I will probably scratchbuild some of the deck 'extras' seen in this pic (fwd nobby bit and the aft deck casing)

Name:	0859121.jpg
Size:	96.7 KB
ID:	89892
      Last edited by HvyCGN9; 02-08-2014, 01:04 AM. Reason: added stuff

Comment

• HvyCGN9
        Lieutenant Commander
        • Jan 2013

Did a bit of modifying on the weekend...made up the 'nobby' bit near the bow (then found a better image from side on.....need to do a little bit more filing for right shape) and made up the midships 'lump' which to me appears to be some sort of towed array sonar housing....and added some of the piping for it. Not going to add the aft 'hump' not enuff info on it. And made up a stand for this beasty.

Bruce

Name:	Sharkmods1.jpg
Size:	14.5 KB
ID:	90018Click image for larger version

Name:	Sharkmods2.jpg
Size:	29.0 KB
ID:	90019Click image for larger version

Name:	Sharkmods3.jpg
Size:	41.7 KB
ID:	90020Click image for larger version

Name:	Sharkmods5.jpg
Size:	54.0 KB
ID:	90021Click image for larger version

Name:	Sharkmods7.jpg
Size:	63.7 KB
ID:	90022Click image for larger version

Name:	Sharkmods8.jpg
Size:	69.7 KB
ID:	90023Click image for larger version

Name:	Sharkstand.jpg
Size:	38.0 KB
ID:	90024

Comment

• HvyCGN9
          Lieutenant Commander
          • Jan 2013

Have done the Z cuts and glued in the styrene pieces and the upper screw mounting, Hopefully tomorrow I will do some work on the sail too....

Did a bit of test assembly of aft end, planes n rudders and prop shaft. And was wondering if any grease is used in the shaft housing??

Cheers Bruce
          Last edited by HvyCGN9; 02-25-2014, 07:17 AM.

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
            • Aug 2008

Originally posted by HvyCGN9
            Have done the Z cuts and glued in the styrene pieces and the upper screw mounting, Hopefully tomorrow I will do some work on the sail too....

Did a bit of test assembly of aft end, planes n rudders and prop shaft. And was wondering if any grease is used in the shaft housing??

Cheers Bruce
            ONLY after the model has received the last clear coat. Otherwise the oil/grease will migrate into the primer and inhibit later paint and clear-coat adhesion.

M
            Who is John Galt?

Comment

• HvyCGN9
              Lieutenant Commander
              • Jan 2013

Originally posted by He Who Shall Not Be Named
              ONLY after the model has received the last clear coat. Otherwise the oil/grease will migrate into the primer and inhibit later paint and clear-coat adhesion.

M
              Thanks mate!!

Comment

• HvyCGN9
                Lieutenant Commander
                • Jan 2013

The hull pieces are all done....still need to install the base of the snort system to the upper hull section and assemble the sail and then I need to have a look at installing the electronics into the SD...

Last Friday after work made up the drive shaft out of some leftover Aluminum tube I had out in the workshop and did a test fit of the SD (after drilling the hole for the shock absorber indexing pin) in hull, all good now just need to go to the hobby shop for some brass rod for the control rods (knew there was something I needed to buy...)

Here are some pix..

Name:	DSC_0588.jpg
Size:	74.2 KB
ID:	90201Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0590.jpg
Size:	71.9 KB
ID:	90202Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0591.jpg
Size:	73.0 KB
ID:	90203
                Last edited by HvyCGN9; 03-01-2014, 08:28 AM.

Comment

• HvyCGN9
                  Lieutenant Commander
                  • Jan 2013

Did a bit of work on her on and off over the last few days, got all the snort related bits installed on upper hull. And got some paint on the hull sections....still need to build sail and paint all the planes...

Name:	DSC_0619a1.jpg
Size:	61.7 KB
ID:	90351Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0620a1.jpg
Size:	62.8 KB
ID:	90352Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0621a1.jpg
Size:	73.5 KB
ID:	90353Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0622a1.jpg
Size:	66.9 KB
ID:	90354

Decided to get some different servos, I have a stack of HXT900 type...but apparently they are amp hungry. So I will order some better quality metal geared type....

Comment

• Aug 2008

Paint the bottom of the horizontal stabilizers black.

M
                    Who is John Galt?

Comment

• HvyCGN9
                      Lieutenant Commander
                      • Jan 2013

Originally posted by He Who Shall Not Be Named
                      Paint the bottom of the horizontal stabilizers black.

M
                      Thanks Dave,

I was planing to do that!! would have been a horrid job trying to mask how the instructions show....

Cheers Bruce

Comment

• Aug 2008

Hey, I feel like an incomplete man if I don't give at least three people hell before bedtime. Two more to fill the quota for the day.

It's looking good. Keep chugging.

M
                        Who is John Galt?

Comment

• HvyCGN9
                          Lieutenant Commander
                          • Jan 2013

pay day today so I stopped in at one of the hobby shops (the only one with decent range of quality servos...) and bought 3 Hitec HS-85MG's!! These should do the job....It occured to me that I would be better off with some good servos in the SD rather than using the cheapies I use in other stuff. After all there are alot of bucks tied up in this project, to be depending on $3 servo's!!

sloooowwwly working on sail (no pics yet) cutting the hole for float.

Cheers Bruce

Edit: also picked up a toggle switch and rubber boot aswell as small magnetic switch (the type used on windows and doors for alarms) its closed when magnet is taken away I will set it up to replace the switch on the ESC. This way the toggle switch will be the master On/off, but by activating the mag switch (I will copy Oztrucks idea on the I-25 and have a small hole for a magnet on a short bit of rod) this will shut down the esc quickly without having to pull the screw out.
                          Last edited by HvyCGN9; 03-15-2014, 06:03 AM. Reason: added stuff

Comment

• crazygary
                            Captain
                            • Sep 2012

Good call on that magnetic switch, Bruce!!
                            Hmm! I gotta remember that one!!

GC

Comment

• HvyCGN9
                              Lieutenant Commander
                              • Jan 2013

Thx GC....eventually I will get to assembling the SD!!

I have finally begun the sail assembly....with a hiccup or two along the way! Hiccup no1 was when one of the supplied sailplane bushes went 'Ping' across the room never to be seen again (atleast not for awhile.....) so I had to improvise and made up a couple of bushes out of the appropriate sized evergreen tube, sliced finely with my chopperII slicer n dicer. Then glued em in along with the two mounting blocks for the sailplane screws. Having finally managed to get some bicarb soda at the supermarket (It wasn't there when I was looking for it! But two weeks later when I wasn't looking for it, it was.....) I did the reinforcement trick with the CA around the mounting blocks,later test fitting the sail halves together showed a nice fit... Today after getting home from some nuclear cruiser action down the pond I set about installing the bushes for the lower bell crank( a small screw driver simulating the sail plane shaft) cause the planes n rudders are drying after getting painted. And after getting it all moving freely tack CA'd em in then pulled sail apart and concreted them in...

Here are some picx....also repainted the black on the hull after rubbing it back with 800 WD and re did it with a better quality matt black which gave nicer finish (not orange peel'y)

Name:	DSC_0627a1.jpg
Size:	57.9 KB
ID:	90670Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0628a1.jpg
Size:	70.6 KB
ID:	90671Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0635a1.jpg
Size:	96.8 KB
ID:	90672Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0638a1.jpg
Size:	46.6 KB
ID:	90673Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0639a1.jpg
Size:	74.0 KB
ID:	90674

and from the hull repaint...

Name:	DSC_0632a1.jpg
Size:	52.1 KB
ID:	90675Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0633a1.jpg
Size:	69.9 KB
ID:	90676
                              back section is the new matt black (halfway thru painting)

Comment

Working...