• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RAY
    Lieutenant, Junior Grade
    • Jan 2009

Seaview

Hi to all.
    I am new to this forum,and would like to chronicle the build of a couple of Seview Models.
    Originally I was building static for a couple of grand kid,however they "want them to work".
    A quick word with Mike and the fittings arrived today.

As I said they were already assembled, so the first order of the day was was to dissassemble them not the easiest of jobs

So for now just a few pics and I hope I can do justice to the boats.

And a thank you to Mike and Dave..

Ray
    Attached Files
    Last edited by RAY; 02-18-2009, 12:49 PM. Reason: spelling
  • junglelord
    Banned
    • Jan 2009

Hi Ray
    I am new as well.
    Got my first Seaview yesterday.
    I have another one coming.
    For the cost, you might want to just get another.
    However I hope you do chronicle your task if your going to
    open that one up...

Your braver then me.
    LOL>

I hope to have two Merriman conversions by summer.
    I will chronicle my experince as well.
    Cheers
    Dean

Comment

• RAY
      Lieutenant, Junior Grade
      • Jan 2009

Seaview

Hi to you,
      I have two that I have to pull apart,bit of damage done but ok.
      do you know how to upload more than one picture at a time

Ray

Comment

• junglelord
        Banned
        • Jan 2009

I do not know how to load the smaller images.
        I do know how to use imageshack for four pics at a time.
        This site limits you to four pics via that method.
        I hope that helps.

I want to try to put my together with magnets as much as possible
        in the first place....the way it snaps together, that should work out well.

That way I can always pull it apart in several ways.
        Check my thread on the RC Seaview. The first page has some
        ideas I ran across on the web. I think I can use the natural seams
        as a way to deviate from the plans by Mr Merriman.

Not that this is the best idea, just one I am contemplating.

Comment

• RAY
          Lieutenant, Junior Grade
          • Jan 2009

Seaview

Thanks for that Dean,
          I would follow as much as possible the way David does things unless you have a lot of building time under your belt,Dave has got all the T Shirts, and if you lose a boat it hurts,

I lost a deck off an early Darnell type 7 that was held on with magnets,I was not happy,as I watched it just slide away.

Ray

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
            • Aug 2008

Originally posted by RAY
            Thanks for that Dean,
            I would follow as much as possible the way David does things unless you have a lot of building time under your belt,Dave has got all the T Shirts, and if you lose a boat it hurts,

I lost a deck off an early Darnell type 7 that was held on with magnets,I was not happy,as I watched it just slide away.

Ray
            Listen to Ray, Dean.

The first time you hit the gas blow on your boat the over-pressure within will pop every magnetic hull connector -- if they separate enough, you start loosing parts to the bottom.

Do it my way.

David,
            Who is John Galt?

Comment

• RAY
              Lieutenant, Junior Grade
              • Jan 2009

Seaview

I just could not have put that any better!!!

Comment

• junglelord
                Banned
                • Jan 2009

Now, you guys know I said up front, I am a newbie...meaning "know nothing".

I have no need for magnets....then good enough for me.

I had a thought....don't listen too me.
                :p

Comment

• RAY
                  Lieutenant, Junior Grade
                  • Jan 2009

Seaview

Well Dean
                  believe me when I say I have a cupboard full of cock ups from having ideas.
                  Anyway on with the build,both boats are now back in kit form,with only slight damage

I have re drilled most of my fitting kits so I can use my prefered shafting which is 3mm grp or carbon rod the castings are drilled 3mm any mountings are drilled to 3.2mm for clearence.

The pics show front planes test fitted and the damage to the deck.the propulsor housings have been honed out so I can wrap Davids units with 5 thou thick shim steel instead of using tape still all held with silicone,

I Will post better pics as I progress.

Ray
                  Attached Files

Comment

• junglelord
                    Banned
                    • Jan 2009

Thanks Ray, building my confidence even more.
                    I'll drink to THAT!

Comment

• Aug 2008

Originally posted by RAY
                      Well Dean
                      believe me when I say I have a cupboard full of cock ups from having ideas.
                      Anyway on with the build,both boats are now back in kit form,with only slight damage

I have re drilled most of my fitting kits so I can use my prefered shafting which is 3mm grp or carbon rod the castings are drilled 3mm any mountings are drilled to 3.2mm for clearence.

The pics show front planes test fitted and the damage to the deck.the propulsor housings have been honed out so I can wrap Davids units with 5 thou thick shim steel instead of using tape still all held with silicone,

I Will post better pics as I progress.

Ray
                      Looking good, Ray. And I like the .005" shim sheet. Good call. I assume you had originally stuck the kit parts together with CA? Good tear-down, not too much carnage evident.

And I like the carbon fiber operating shafts. Another good call.

Make sure you weld the parts back together with solvent cement -- after first filing off all remaining CA.
                      Who is John Galt?

Comment

• RAY
                        Lieutenant, Junior Grade
                        • Jan 2009

Seaview

Thanks for that Dave,
                        It is easy to get a solid bond in resin parts,small groove in the end of the shaft dip in catalised resin it wont come off.

Ok less chit chat more work,
                        I now look at the new rudders,Nice...but they require a very small hole drilling in a very thin part of them.

Because of the shape of the rudders you will find that they are only held just behind the leading edge when in a vise,and if you grip them too hard you are filling and sanding again,if you line the inside of your vise with the soft vynyl bathroom sealer the stuff that comes on a roll and is self adhesive it imparts a good grip on the part without damage.

keeping it all square..
                        Because of the small size a small ladies mirror works a treat, I hope you can see in the pics you can use it as a set square and it allows you to see around the part in the miller/pillar drill and enables you to line everything up,simple.

Always use sharp tooling and take your time,use low speed,and of course be safety concious at all times.

I am not trying to re invent the wheel but some of my rambling is aimed at our younger members,what we older guys take for granted,the not so old guys somtimes find difficult we have all been there.

The other pic shows the two meterials I use,one is grp rod the other is carbon fibre,in the uk you can get the grp rod from B and Q..
                        Attached Files

Comment

• Aug 2008

Ray,

Very good stuff. You're answering questions I've only glossed over -- and you're right, many people out there don't have our skill sets yet, nor wealth of experience, two things vital to successful kit-assembly and model building.

Keep it up!

David,
                          Who is John Galt?

Comment

• RAY
                            Lieutenant, Junior Grade
                            • Jan 2009

Seaview

Thank you David,
                            I am just bowled over.

I have only known one other person with a passion for submarines,his name is John Darnell,He always looked to find the easy ways for a kit builder to get a boat in the water,his kits worked out of the box.

In recent times I have spoken at great lenght to a gentleman called Chris who owns sheerline I have one of his subs they also work out of the box.

But sadly all too few people join this hobby and build a boat,they just build kits,we have many fine modellers, just look around this forum,whilst the enjoyment of building a kit and seeing it run is a major feel good factor,it just does not compare to building a boat however poorly crafted from basic meterials and seeing that boat run and being able to say I made it from a block of whatever.

I am putting the Seaviews together with the grand kids 7and 9 already the games machine have been abandoned and my workshop is the new play room,begining to feel all young again.............

Ray

Comment

• Aug 2008

Good for you, Ray. Not enough of that going around these days. Our kids are loosing their motor-skills and (practical) problem solving ability.

Yes, to some of us this is very much a passion.

David,
                              Who is John Galt?

Comment

Working...