X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RAY
    Lieutenant, Junior Grade
    • Jan 2009

Shim Steel

Yes David you are right ,I have 32 subs only 6 are kits.

Onward..ShimSteel to hold the nice little units that David made to drive our boats,this is normally used by engineers to take up play or to shim a lathe tool to the correct height,It has a couple of drawbacks.

1 It is usally made from low grade stainless,which means it can rust if not sealed correctly.
    2 It is like a razor on its cut edge,be warned.

From the pics you can see that it can be cut with normal scissors,you need to make it slightly narrower than the pump jet, they have a slight taper,then a small hole needs to be drilled so you can disassemble your pump jets I used a 3 mm drill.
    next you need to spread silicone on one side full cover you dont need a lot of it, then just simply wrap it around the pump jet align the the hole for the grub screw,hold it altogether with a tight rubber band,job done let it dry...

Remember we are not racing, while bits are drying do some of the less glamorouse jobs a bit of sanding/filling.

I hope the pics show the process.

Ray
    Attached Files

Comment

• junglelord
      Banned
      • Jan 2009

Thats so kind of you to help me out.
      Its important to have a drill press for the rudders I would think.
      I need a vice. A Moto-tool. A Dremel drill press.

I like the steel around the pumpjet. Very nice.
      I have no real experience in this hobby.
      My Robbe SeaWolf was a start.
      This is more equipment required.
      Either that or go to a friend with the equipment....
      not sure who that would be...LOL.

So I need to include that as part of my start-up cost to make a conversion. Thats ok, but being on a pension and sending my son to college will slow me down till I sell the Motorcycle.
      :p

I can get my head around this several times, buy the equipment, then the Sub driver.

I will still order my DVDS and Fitting kit this week.
      I'll drink to THAT!

Keep it coming.
      :D

Comment

• RAY
        Lieutenant, Junior Grade
        • Jan 2009

Seaview

Hi Dean,
        You dont need all the equipment, you always have someone you know who will help,all the tools come eventually.
        Some of us wrinkly old people have been building for forty years and you alway start with the basics,I can always think about the need for a new piece of equipment but will make do,so dont panic.

Just please dont paint the new Seaview GOLD!!!.LOL

Ray

Comment

• junglelord
          Banned
          • Jan 2009

Good news gentlemen....my brother has a variable speed dremel. So that saves me $100!
          I will check the specs. (Ok this one is 10,000 to 35,000) I am guessing you cut this styrene at the lowest speed? I notice the other ones were 5,000 to 35,000! Hope this one is slow enough.
          I will try a piece of attachement stem on the lowest speed. Are you guys using a simple cutting disc?

Listen they have a dremel router table on sale and I also save 10% on my brothers card, $27...Should I get it, or not needed at this time? The store has no dremel drill press units. Looking for ways to not buy any tools until I can pay for the conversion kit. I hope your right Ray and I can put all my dough towards this terrible exchange rate.

I wish the dollar would hold its own against American.
          Censored

The longer it takes to pull this together, the worst I think my dollar will be.
          Censored

Keep me up to date on your build Ray and thanks so much. Its great to hear about the grandchildren being involved. I am going to invest for one for my own granddaughter.
          Last edited by junglelord; 02-19-2009, 02:47 PM.

Comment

• RAY
            Lieutenant, Junior Grade
            • Jan 2009

Seaview

Just a small note that may help,you dont need a dremmel tool for the Seaview,but if your boat is still in kit form ,remove the supprts from under the deck,makes the job easy,

Have a look at the picture.

Ray
            Attached Files

Comment

• junglelord
              Banned
              • Jan 2009

Well I am confused. I do need a variable speed Moto-tool...I don't need a Variable speed Dremel...Whats the difference? Sorry.
              :confused:

Comment

• RAY
                Lieutenant, Junior Grade
                • Jan 2009

Ok Dean.

If you have a rotery tool brill, if you do not ,not a prob the Seaview deck is removed with a craft knife,but after scoring you need to cut the ribs supporting the deck that is why it is less hassel to remove them while still in bits.

And to answer your question a multi speed tool is far superior to a single speed unit used for grinding bits of plastic from pump jet tubes etc..

Ray

Comment

• RAY
                  Lieutenant, Junior Grade
                  • Jan 2009

Seaview

Ok guys ,still not built a boat,have drilled and cleaned up all the fittings,sanded the hull filled and repaired the damage from cutting it apart.

Its now not too shabby!,As I dont actually have a Sub Driver I am going to build from scratch It wont be as elegant as the Caswell unit but I hope it will drive the boats.

I MUST POINT OUT NOT BUYING A DAVE/CASWELL UNIT IS NOT A MONETERY THING I HAVE A MODEL ENGINEERING WORKSHOP AND MAKING THIS UNIT IS PART OF THE FUN,

The caswell/merriman unit is VERY good value for money,and before anyone says I must be good friends with the duo,my posts on this forum are basically my only contact with either, but I have watched this creation from the start,and it has been a lot of work for them to get it right.

Back to the plot,I will try to show all the relavent parts to the build and if anyone has a question,no problem, if you think I missed a bit,or I did not explain correctly tell me.

Ray

Comment

• junglelord
                    Banned
                    • Jan 2009

Originally posted by RAY
                    Ok Dean.

If you have a rotery tool brill, if you do not ,not a prob the Seaview deck is removed with a craft knife,but after scoring you need to cut the ribs supporting the deck that is why it is less hassel to remove them while still in bits.

And to answer your question a multi speed tool is far superior to a single speed unit used for grinding bits of plastic from pump jet tubes etc..

Ray
                    What did you mean by that Ray?
                    Do you mean before its fitted together?
                    What is a brill?
                    The craft knife is used from the outside or inside
                    to scribe the superstructure and to cut it off.
                    A few simple photos might help a definition ignorant guy like me.

Comment

• RAY
                      Lieutenant, Junior Grade
                      • Jan 2009

Brill means Good over here.
                      Cut the supports out from inside before you assemble anything.

Craft Knife from the out side after gluing together follow the deck line I will sort some photos tommorrow covering all the above.
                      Ray

Comment

• junglelord
                        Banned
                        • Jan 2009

Thanks for everything Ray and I hope I can help with any electronics you may have. I think you will find that most electronics is straight forward.

I am learning that cutting, scribing, is straight forward. Right tool, right job, measure twice, then cut. Practice first on a jig is good too.
                        The pictures are really nice of you. Thanks so much Ray.
                        :p:cool:

Comment

• junglelord
                          Banned
                          • Jan 2009

Originally posted by RAY
                          Just a small note that may help,you dont need a dremmel tool for the Seaview,but if your boat is still in kit form ,remove the supprts from under the deck,makes the job easy,

Have a look at the picture.

Ray
                          I forgot to ask, why are these being cut out Ray?
                          To allow room for what?

Comment

• RAY
                            Lieutenant, Junior Grade
                            • Jan 2009

The reason that I cut the ribs away at the deck join line,is so I dont have to work on them from the outside of the boat,

Two of the photos show one side of Seview with the ribs intact,and the other side with them removed at the deck line.

All of the ribs are removed in the same manner along the whole length of the deck inside the boat,then after doing Davids mod for the rear diving plane link,you assemble the Seaview,lots of glue.

The other two photos show the correct cutting line and my prferred choice of craft tool, but only after the boat has thoroughly dried.

I hope this helps.

Ray
                            Attached Files

Comment

• junglelord
                              Banned
                              • Jan 2009

I understand that they are to be cut before putting it together, but why are they being cut, making room for what?
                              Also what did you use to cut that section, a Moto-tool?

I figured the superstructure would be cut as you indicate....at least I guessed that one.
                              Thanks Ray
                              Dean

Comment

• RAY
                                Lieutenant, Junior Grade
                                • Jan 2009

Moto tool removes the ribs,so you dont have to cut them from outside the hull when removing the deck and it is all stuck together..

Ray

Comment

Working...