X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • trout
    Admiral
    • Jul 2011

32nd Parallel's Type XXIII

This is not a build, but a minor tweak to a wonderful sub. (So please move this if it does not belong here).
    A dear friend, Mike Dory, surprised my son and I with a gift.

This sub is special (and I won't go into why) to Sam and I.
    The WTC is a modified Small World Models. It is 3.25" OD and 3" ID. It was silicon shut and I needed to get in there.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Small World Models WTC.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	13.9 KB
ID:	102293
    Cleaned up one end (electronics end) and installed an o-ring. Changed RX to 75MHz (wFly) and emergency blow for ballast tank. Tested for leaks and there were none. There are two servos wired together in the bow for torpedoes - might need to get that to work (my son says definitely need to get that to work).

Name:	Type_XXIII_18.jpg
Size:	83.8 KB
ID:	102294
    Time to get wet. I was behind the camera, so this is my son commanding the sub.

Name:	Type_XXIII_01.jpg
Size:	97.2 KB
ID:	102295

Name:	Type_XXIII_06.jpg
Size:	96.4 KB
ID:	102296

Name:	Type_XXIII_09.jpg
Size:	89.0 KB
ID:	102297

Name:	Type_XXIII_17.jpg
Size:	90.4 KB
ID:	102298
    Sam at the controls.

Name:	Type_XXIII_10.jpg
Size:	94.0 KB
ID:	102299
    Here he is getting the sub to run at periscope depth. Show off.

Name:	Type_XXIII_14.jpg
Size:	97.6 KB
ID:	102300
    We did discover that if this sub goes below a foot or two, it will lose signal and blow its tank. That is a good thing that the safety works, but not the depth. The antenna that is on there is longer than the wFly's (which is 33" I think). This antenna is 49" long and very thin (not sure if that matters or not). So I will do some replacing in that. Future changes will be to replace all the silicon sealing with proper 0-rings and some adjustment on rear linkages.
    If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.
  • Warpatroller
    Lieutenant
    • Dec 2012

I remember Mike Dory telling me about this particular model of his, on the Subcommittee forum, over 4 years ago. I had just acquired mine and was asking him about possible substitutes for the stock pressure box. He mentioned that he had a Small World Models WTC in it. He also said at 3.25" it was kind of a tight fit in that hull and that a 3" would fit better.

I never saw any photos of it, so it is nice to finally see what it looks like. Dark grey hull and a white tower.. I think Mike must have had two 32P XXIII models.. I remember seeing another one, several years ago, painted differently with the yellow training stripes, which was photographed along side of a scratch built XXIII by Darrin Hataway.
    "Wir kommen ihnen unbekannt."

Comment

• trout
      Admiral
      • Jul 2011

I believe you are correct this one is more recent. Mike added about 2.5" to it to model the extension done on the 1957 Hecht.
      If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• trout
        Admiral
        • Jul 2011

Did a little spring cleaning. I like silicon, but I have resistance to it as well. It goes back to a time in the late 70's early 80's when I sold, installed, and repaired alarm systems. There were some installers that would slap a contact up (and not use the screws) with silicon. Always looked sloppy and unprofessional to me. So that little pet peeve still haunts me today. I will put it out there it is just me and no reflection on those that use silicon to install things. I needed to install a new antenna wire to see if I could improve reception.
        The original antenna was 40+" long because the original frequency was different than the one I installed. So to better match the wFly receiver, I put in the wFly's shorter antenna.

Name:	Small World Models WTC_07a.jpg
Size:	8.5 KB
ID:	80950Click image for larger version

Name:	Small World Models WTC_07b.jpg
Size:	17.9 KB
ID:	80951
        As i did this, this section

Name:	Small World Models WTC_01a.jpg
Size:	16.3 KB
ID:	77165
        was just begging to be worked on, plus I needed to realign the shelf the on/off switch was on. The tray had slid to a point I could not easily get to the switch. So off came the old silicon.
        Here is the bulkhead that held the two pieces together.

Name:	Small World Models repair 01.jpg
Size:	10.4 KB
ID:	80942
        It took a chunk of time to clean it up.

Name:	Small World Models repair 02.jpg
Size:	10.9 KB
ID:	80943
        There were pins installed to keep the cylinders from separating while charging with propellent. The downward pushing could cause the areas to shift apart. Those were hidden under the band of silicon, not like this one on the other end.

Name:	Small World Models repair 02a.jpg
Size:	9.7 KB
ID:	80944
        Test fitted the end and the new o-ring would not make contact all the way around. Hence, why silicon was probably used.

Name:	Small World Models repair 03.jpg
Size:	11.1 KB
ID:	80945
        Wrapping two complete wraps of teflon tape around the channel and putting the o-ring back on made the o-ring have enough contact to form a seal.

Name:	Small World Models repair 04.jpg
Size:	11.5 KB
ID:	80946
        Trimmed the tape and installed the pins.

Name:	Small World Models repair 05.jpg
Size:	13.9 KB
ID:	80947
        Sometimes silicon is necessary, like sealing the pins in.
        Now I think I will do the engine end cap.

Name:	Small World Models WTC_05a.jpg
Size:	12.9 KB
ID:	80948
        Overall, it was a fun time prepping the subs.

Name:	Small World Models WTC_06.jpg
Size:	20.4 KB
ID:	80949
        Interestingly, the wFly RX when it was installed, the SubTech subsafe (signal loss safety device) stopped working. On another post there is a discussion of getting the wFly encoded to work with Kevin's ADF2....I wonder if that is why this stopped working? The wFly can be programmed if it losses signal, but it only knows instantaneous safety measures there cannot be a delay programmed in.

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
          • Aug 2008

The WFly receiver has a built-in fail-safe of its own. When it looses the transmitted signal, the receiver generates it's own 1.5ms pulse that it sends to all servos and devices made up to its output ports -- effectively placing all servos and devices to 'neutral' on loss of the transmitted signal. Fine for airplanes, helicopters and boats. Not so for model submarines that employ fail-safes that must see a zero pulse-train if they are to work.

We're working with the good WFly people to re-write the receivers micro-processor code to disable the receivers fail-safe feature.

David
          Who is John Galt?

Comment

• trout
            Admiral
            • Jul 2011

You can program where you want your servos to go upon signal loss.

Comment

• trout
              Admiral
              • Jul 2011

I found the instructions on how to do it.

Name:	wFly_Failsafe.jpg
Size:	64.1 KB
ID:	80964

Comment

• Aug 2008

Tom! I love you ... have my baby!!!!

E-mail me when you can, pal.

David
                Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Scott T
                  Commander
                  • May 2009

Tom,
                  How are the servo shafts sealed against water in this type of water tight compartment?
                  O-ring inside, o-ring outside or both, and how they secured them?

Scott T

Comment

• trout
                    Admiral
                    • Jul 2011

um, awkward. You have been in your cave a little too long. Go on a date night with Ellie. LOL email sent.

Comment

• MFR1964
                      Detail Nut of the First Order
                      • Sep 2010

Hmmmmm, you're in trouble Tom, nothing is worse when David wants to hug and starts saying sweet words.

Manfred.
                      I went underground

Comment

• Aug 2008

Originally posted by trout
                        um, awkward. You have been in your cave a little too long. Go on a date night with Ellie. LOL email sent.

Perhaps I should have phrased that a bit better....
                        Who is John Galt?

Comment

• trout
                          Admiral
                          • Jul 2011

Originally posted by Scott T
                          How are the servo shafts sealed against water in this type of water tight compartment?
                          O-ring inside, o-ring outside or both, and how they secured them?
                          Scott,
                          The seal is an o-ring.
                          Here it is:

Name:	Small World Models WTC_009e.jpg
Size:	9.1 KB
ID:	80965
                          The o-ring is in its own channel and the arm is tightened down to hold it all together.
                          The other cool part is how the servos are installed transitions from the outside motion to the servo.
                          The servo has a square mounted on the top.

Name:	Small World Models WTC_009.jpg
Size:	11.0 KB
ID:	80966
                          It slides into the end cap.

Name:	Small World Models WTC_009a.jpg
ID:	80967Click image for larger version

Name:	Small World Models WTC_009b.jpg
ID:	80968

Name:	Small World Models WTC_009c.jpg
Size:	16.0 KB
ID:	80969Click image for larger version

Name:	Small World Models WTC_009d.jpg
Size:	13.0 KB
ID:	80970

Comment

• Scott T
                            Commander
                            • May 2009

Thanks Tom. I always thought it looked like a cool way to do the servos but never knew
                            how they set it up. That is some neat designing. Thanks for the pictures.

Scott T

Comment

• trout
                              Admiral
                              • Jul 2011

Originally posted by MFR1964
                              Hmmmmm, you're in trouble Tom, nothing is worse when David wants to hug and starts saying sweet words.

Manfred.
                              I am not too worried, I figure it was the fumes he has been sniffing. Makes one delirious (at least that is what I am telling myself) ;-)

Comment

Working...